Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Vitamin D for Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin D for Coronavirus

Not surprisingly, the use of Vitamin D as a coronavirus treatment has been quite effective. Basically this is just a restoration or boost of the normal immunity operations of the body. Is it surprising that the media is not promoting this all over the place so that people will be resistant to the viruses?

The studies on vitamin D and covid-19 are listed at: https://c19study.com/d

One study, for example, shows an 68% decrease in mortality rate
    Annweiler et al., The Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, doi:10.1016/j.jsbmb.2020.105771 (Peer Reviewed)
    Vitamin D and survival in COVID-19 patients: A quasi-experimental study
    Vitamin D3 supplementation during or just before COVID-19 was associated with 68% lower mortality and less severe COVID-19 in frail elderly.

Retrospective 66 French nursing home residents, mean age 87.7, 9 control patients, and 57 that received an oral bolus of 80,000 IU vitamin D3 either in the week following the suspicion or diagnosis of COVID-19, or during the previous month. 17.5% mortality in the treatment group and 55.6% in the control group.
    Some takeaways from this are: 1) make sure you get enough sun-exposure or vitamin D supplements to support the immune system and 2) the proper dietary vitamin D levels would help reduce the number of people going to the hospital to get the same treatment after any illness progressed. It is interesting that the dosage in the study is 80,000 IU where vitamin supplements are 2,000 IU. (10,000 IU is the amount before having side effects -- https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-d-dosage).

For thousands more dollars you can try Fauci's Remdesivir -- the studies on that are also listed.

to get 80,000 iu you would have to take like 40 regular vitamin D tablets. And too much vitamin D can be toxic and it builds up in your system.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      to get 80,000 iu you would have to take like 40 regular vitamin D tablets. And too much vitamin D can be toxic and it builds up in your system.
      Indeed. That is 2/3 of the monthly supply. That amount normally should be done under medical supervision (unless you were isolated in Greenland and that was the only option). The 10,000 IU was a surprise amount identified as a safe amount (before people notice side effects). The general reminder was that Vitamin D3 is a good thing to take.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

Indeed. That is 2/3 of the monthly supply. That amount normally should be done under medical supervision (unless you were isolated in Greenland and that was the only option). The 10,000 IU was a surprise amount identified as a safe amount (before people notice side effects). The general reminder was that Vitamin D3 is a good thing to take.
        The thing you have to watch out for it is that Vitamin D is fat soluble so it accumulates. You might take 10K iu once and be OK but if you take it every day you could end up with hypercalcemia, kidney failure and a lot of other stuff. I have a vitamin D deficiency so I have to take 4,000 iu per day, but my doctor monitors my levels with blood tests every month.

Comment

The thing you have to watch out for it is that Vitamin D is fat soluble so it accumulates. You might take 10K iu once and be OK but if you take it every day you could end up with hypercalcemia, kidney failure and a lot of other stuff. I have a vitamin D deficiency so I have to take 4,000 iu per day, but my doctor monitors my levels with blood tests every month.
          Thanks. That's good info. I suppose it could be helpful to do 10k for one day if you feel something coming on. I do 2k when I remember to.

Comment

Not surprisingly, the use of Vitamin D as a coronavirus treatment has been quite effective. Basically this is just a restoration or boost of the normal immunity operations of the body. Is it surprising that the media is not promoting this all over the place so that people will be resistant to the viruses?

The studies on vitamin D and covid-19 are listed at: https://c19study.com/d

One study, for example, shows an 68% decrease in mortality rate

Some takeaways from this are: 1) make sure you get enough sun-exposure or vitamin D supplements to support the immune system and 2) the proper dietary vitamin D levels would help reduce the number of people going to the hospital to get the same treatment after any illness progressed. It is interesting that the dosage in the study is 80,000 IU where vitamin supplements are 2,000 IU. (10,000 IU is the amount before having side effects -- https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-d-dosage).

For thousands more dollars you can try Fauci's Remdesivir -- the studies on that are also listed.

honestly, everyone should be supplementing with Vitamin D anyway. For most of the US, a large portion of the year the sun is not strong enough to provide necessary vitamin D. And even in the Summer, most people think "oh yeah, I'm out in the sun all the time, I get plenty of Vitamin D", and then right before going out in the sun slather on a nice layer of SPF1000000000000 on top of their skin and think they are magically getting Vitamin D production with that on. I take liquid lingual spray every day of D3 (2 sprays, 1000 IU each). As a Vegan I get my blood tested yearly to make sure I'm at good levels of everything (it can be harder to get certain nutrients in some cases), and my D levels are always well within the upper level of adequate range values.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

honestly, everyone should be supplementing with Vitamin D anyway. For most of the US, a large portion of the year the sun is not strong enough to provide necessary vitamin D. And even in the Summer, most people think "oh yeah, I'm out in the sun all the time, I get plenty of Vitamin D", and then right before going out in the sun slather on a nice layer of SPF1000000000000 on top of their skin and think they are magically getting Vitamin D production with that on. I take liquid lingual spray every day of D3 (2 sprays, 1000 IU each). As a Vegan I get my blood tested yearly to make sure I'm at good levels of everything (it can be harder to get certain nutrients in some cases), and my D levels are always well within the upper level of adequate range values.
              Good to hear your good level on this and your recommendation to everyone. I'm curious why we would have such a problem of deficient vitamin D. Above a certain latitude, it was supposed to be impossible to get enough vitamin D even while exposed to the sun.

Do you also get B12 checked? I understand this to be lacking in most vegetarian diets.

Comment

Good to hear your good level on this and your recommendation to everyone. I'm curious why we would have such a problem of deficient vitamin D. Above a certain latitude, it was supposed to be impossible to get enough vitamin D even while exposed to the sun.
                Correct. The answer is, even our time in the sun is inhibited by our use of sunscreens, etc., which block the rays that stimulate Vitamin D production (Fun fact: Vitamin D is actually not even a vitamin, it's a hormone, one that was so important that it got branded with the 'vitamin' name despite not being one).
                Do you also get B12 checked? I understand this to be lacking in most vegetarian diets.
                Yes (I get a full array of bloodwork done every year), my B12 levels are above optimal. I rotate between a sublingual supplement and things like nutritional yeast which are chock full of it, or fortified plant milks.

Actually B12 is lacking in many(most IIRC) people, vegan/vegetarian/omnivore/carnivore, and everyone should consider getting tested. The reason is, back in the day, we used to be just fine getting it because it is produced by bacteria, etc., in soil, water, and in animal stomachs after they eat plants.

Nowadays we live in a very sterile, clean society, where all our produce is washed thoroughly, our water is cleaned and sterilized, and even those animals that some people eat don't have a whole lot either as most are pumped with antibiotics to deal with being in close quarters and spreading diseases (those antibiotics kill off the B12 producing bacteria in them) - to the point that often the cows, etc., have to be supplemented by farmers just to have enough to use in their own bodies.

Anyway, as a result of the current sterile and antibiotic-filled world we live in, people of all sorts have issues with B12 levels - to be honest I'd guess that these days (with all the 'oh better watch your B12' warnings we vegans get to hear - and believe me, I hear it a LOT), vegans likely have better B12 levels (due to us being very aware, and supplementing) than most omnivores out there.
                Last edited by Gondwanaland; 10-31-2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

The Vitamin D Society recommends 4000 IU per day routinely for everyone. This 2016 article says the risk is minimal even at 10,000 IU per day. This 2015 article says there is basically no danger unless one is taking around 100,000 IU daily for six months or more. Near the end, this PDF file suggests no danger below 30,000 IU per day.

Other sources -- and I'm sorry, but I'm not going to look them up now -- recommend supplementing vitamin K concurrently with D, to avoid build-up of calcium in soft tissues.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I wanted to point out that there is a special need of Vitamin D supplements among Hispanics (Non-White, I presume) and Blacks. Apparently the darker skin makes harder to get the Vitamin D through exposure to sunlight. The instruction I heard for pale skin was that 10 minutes of sun exposure, enough to get a light burn, was sufficient in a day.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X