Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Justina Pelletier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outis
    replied
    Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    normal genetic tests wouldn't show anything?
    Not to the best of my understanding, because the mitochondria have their own DNA.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    True. .. I hadn't thought it might be an ego problem. I suppose somebody's nerve could have been touched when told to call the physician who had been i. Charge of the girl's treatment. I have to admit that this disease of the mitochondria stuff has me scratching my head. This is the power plant of the body, right? I would have thought that any problem affecting this primary source of energy would've been easy to see but apparently the symptoms are non specific and... what, normal genetic tests wouldn't show anything?

*thinks a trip to a medical library might be in order>

Leave a comment:

• Outis
    replied
    In short, the doctors at the Boston hospital decided that this was not a mitochondrial disease, but a case of "medical child abuse." Seems to have far more to do with the egos of the doctors involved than anything else.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    started a topic Justina Pelletier

Justina Pelletier

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...C6O/story.html

I've seen this story come up in the news. I'm puzzled not about the amazingly obtuse justice system but about the apparent reluctance of the hospital to cooperate in treating this child for a supposedly rare treatment. I've seen some suggestions that Obama care is to blame but this all started over a year ago so I don't see how that's relevant.

Anybody have any insight? Is this really a big cover up by the hospital because they failed to treat the the child properly in the beginning? Or is the disease non existent as some seem to imply?
widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X