Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Carpenter Bees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpenter Bees

So, I was sitting behind our garage apartment in one of my favorite shady spots, and I heard the faint sound of "munching" overhead. Having had this experience before, I looked down on the concrete around my feet, and saw sawdust.

Yup - the carpenter bees were back. They're actually quite fascinating, as they "drill" a hole into (usually) unpainted wood, at a very consistent distance from the edge of the wood, and a very consistent diameter.

They don't eat the wood, just chew it out and drop the sawdust below. While they're entertaining, they can be quite destructive, because, over time, they'll burrow into different directions inside the wood, somewhat similar to ants digging tunnels in the ground.

Here's the sawdust:

carpenter bee sawdust.jpg

Here's the critter:

carpenter bee at work.jpg

Here's the hole:

carpenter bee hole.jpgcarpenter bees measurement.jpg
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

What do they do with the holes? Is that where they lay eggs and stuff?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      They bore nests in the wood. They resemble honey bees but are much larger, seem more curious and do not sting.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Thanks. I don't know if we have them here. Will have to look it up.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yup. Nests, so to speak.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Thanks. I don't know if we have them here. Will have to look it up.
            The first time I encountered them, it was quite interesting. I had been remodeling a room in the house, and was using a circular saw in walkway between the house and garage. After I cleaned up, even using my electric leaf blower, I subsequently noticed more sawdust. I figured I must have missed it, so I cleaned up again. About an hour later, more sawdust. Like the twilight zone. As I was standing there trying to figure it out, I heard the crunching sound, then noticed the holes in the wood cover over the walkway. I looked up, and sawdust fell into my eyes.

That was my indoctrination into the wonderful world of carpenter bees!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              The first time I encountered them, it was quite interesting. I had been remodeling a room in the house, and was using a circular saw in walkway between the house and garage. After I cleaned up, even using my electric leaf blower, I subsequently noticed more sawdust. I figured I must have missed it, so I cleaned up again. About an hour later, more sawdust. Like the twilight zone. As I was standing there trying to figure it out, I heard the crunching sound, then noticed the holes in the wood cover over the walkway. I looked up, and sawdust fell into my eyes.

That was my indoctrination into the wonderful world of carpenter bees!
              Yikes.

They are not listed under insects of Alberta. But we have 18 species of honeybees!

Comment

Yikes.

They are not listed under insects of Alberta. But we have 18 species of honeybees!
                I don't know of any beneficial trait of the carpenter bees, other than being fascinating to watch. Honeybees, on the other hand...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I don't know of any beneficial trait of the carpenter bees, other than being fascinating to watch. Honeybees, on the other hand...

All bees must play a part in pollination?

You would think........

Comment

You would think........
                    Hmmmm... you would think.... lemme check on that.

Comment

You would think........
                      And you would be right!

From our Master Gardener friends...
                      As pollinators, carpenter bees are generalists in our gardens and landscapes. They may be found foraging on a number of different species. Like their close cousins, the bumblebees, carpenter bees are early morning foragers. Carpenter bees are excellent pollinators of eggplant, tomato and other vegetables and many types of flowers.

Comment

They just need to find wood that isn't part of your buildings, right?

Comment

And we learn even more from the US Forest Service. They chew into dead, but non-decaying wood.

Here's an example of the tunnels they dig inside the wood. It fascinates me that they have to chew the wood, then push the sawdust all the way out the hole.

carpenterbee_gallery_lg.jpg

Comment

They just need to find wood that isn't part of your buildings, right?
                            It's OK - we're probably moving in a couple months.

Comment

Like most insects, they are pretty industrious, it seems.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X