Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

170 Pounds Maximum for Horse Riding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 170 Pounds Maximum for Horse Riding?

Was reading about horse back riding ... thinking about doing this on my next vacation...been YEARS since the last time.

Anyway, one of the reviews for this nice looking place claims the maximum weight allowed for riders was 170 pounds, which I have to admit seemed a tad low. May be more to the story...he also claimed only one of the party of 5 qualified. Not sure it was a family...if it was I gotta wonder about the kids. UPDATE: yep, it was a family.

But...what say ye? Is this a good weight limit or not?
    Last edited by DesertBerean; 01-26-2015, 12:59 AM.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Your title says minimum. You might want to ask someone to fix that.

Comment

Bhwhahaha. ...yeah. Thanks.

Comment

The weight seems low. Especially for men who are generally over 170lbs unless they are skinny.

I went horseback riding back when I weighed 230 and the horse didn't have a problem with my weight at all. It was a big horse though. It was nearly as tall as me at the shoulders. Maybe this place has small wimpy horses.

Comment

Sound pretty low to me. I mean, Dan Blocker on Bonanza was 6'3"~6'4" and weighed about 275 according to his bio...

It may depend on the breed of horses being used though. If they are ponies instead of horses. My dad used to work for my granddad cutting cattle, (so he was riding a cutting horse) he's always been around 190-205.
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Hmm....

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
              Sound pretty low to me. I mean, Dan Blocker on Bonanza was 6'3"~6'4" and weighed about 275 according to his bio...

It may depend on the breed of horses being used though. If they are ponies instead of horses. My dad used to work for my granddad cutting cattle, (so he was riding a cutting horse) he's always been around 190-205.
              This is pretty much what I was going to say. 170lbs is basically going to mean women and children only. They're probably either ponies or old horses.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

When they were filming The Princess Bride, they wanted to include a scene with Andre the Giant (who weighed 540 lbs) sitting on a horse. They got the biggest draft horse they could find, but the horse took one look at him and wanted no part of that.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

These were Yelp reviews FWIW. The reviews are positive overall. Someone posted a lot of pics with horses. Judging from the size of men on their mounts, they were at or over the 170 lbs. The horses appear in good health and not really old from what I can tell. . Almost all the reviews agree the horses are well kept and well treated. There was possibly one good sized pony, but it could have been a raw boned horse. It had no reference point I could use to judge its size.

I think there's more to the story here.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                    This is pretty much what I was going to say. 170lbs is basically going to mean women and children only. They're probably either ponies or old horses.
                    Yeah, plus they probably work the horses way more hours per day than most people would ride their own horses.

Another thing is probably liability - a larger person is more likely to be injured from a fall from a horse than a smaller lighter person.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Yeah, plus they probably work the horses way more hours per day than most people would ride their own horses.

Another thing is probably liability - a larger person is more likely to be injured from a fall from a horse than a smaller lighter person.
                      But smaller people are more likely to be eaten by a grue.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Hadn't thought of that. They are actually working horses, so their endurance need to be considered.

Still... I bet there's more to the story. I hope so...as it is, I disqualify too ...but not to worry. I've lost 6 pounds so far.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                          Hadn't thought of that. They are actually working horses, so their endurance need to be considered.

Still... I bet there's more to the story. I hope so...as it is, I disqualify too ...but not to worry. I've lost 6 pounds so far.
                          Well, another thing -- like when I'm working fences, I'll ride the horse to where I'm going to be working, then I'll be off the horse for a number of hours, then ride to another spot, etc....

Horses used for "horseback riding" are generally ridden continually, not a lot of mount and dismount.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

A number of professional horse associations put the limit at 20% of the horse's own weight.

A 1,000 pound horse, then, would be able to accommodate a 200 pound rider, etc. The average adult horse would weigh between 900 and 1200 pounds, I think.

Another factor, however, is terrain.... this is considering open and fairly level ground. If you're doing up into the hills, and uneven terrain, there are other factors.

Comment

I remember way back when I was in a horse ride at a ranch, the guy in front of me had combat boots, fatigue pants, and some kind of tee shirt, (I'm a military brat...this was the worst (not Charlie, I forget anymore)...I've ever seen). He had the worst seat I've ever seen too...legs straight out to the sides, toes and heels out, slouching. He was hefty...probably close to 200 pounds. Aaand when he decided to get off for some reason, he didn't pull his mount up...just flung his legs off, boots hanging up on the stirrups, and jumped off to the ground. His horse did very kindly stop. I gave the guy's back a dirty look...and I wouldn't be surprised if the horse did too. Then he up and plopped himself back on, and I think eventually he dropped back or something.
                              Last edited by DesertBerean; 01-26-2015, 01:44 PM. Reason: wrong class uniform :blush:

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X