Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Deer Repellant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you plant bacon? I don't think dear eat it.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
      Can you plant bacon? I don't think dear eat it.
      My dear does, but I don't think the deer do.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Fit all the deer with shock collars.

On the serious side, you could put up some lines of electric fence to keep them out?
        stuff like this: http://www.kencove.com/fence/Rope+Fe...c)_product.php
        https://www.kencove.com/fence/Ribbon...c)_product.php
        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I overheard a park ranger discussing this once. His recommendation was fishing line strung around the area about chest high (for the deer). Deer won't jump if they can't see what they are jumping - or so the ranger said.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Interesting.
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Yeah, but if they can't see what they are jumping, how are they supposed to know that they shouldn't jump there?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The only thing that really works here: a high fence. Rain washes everything else away (except not now, when we have a drought ).
                  Last edited by Celebrian; 01-28-2014, 12:01 AM.

Comment

They walk into it.

There's this:
                    http://www.ehow.com/list_5949071_gar...epel-deer.html

Rosemary would grow well. Rue is called the 'herb of grace' - but it can be very difficult to handle (it can cause blisters if the person is sensitive to it).
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Just make your neighbor's yard more interesting than yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Just make your neighbor's yard more interesting than yours.
                        I actually thought about scattering some deer corn over there, but I LIKE my neighbors! Besides, they're too far away for that to work... if the deer are "in the neighborhood", my yard is "the yard".
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

set up an alarm system. Tin cans on a string at minimum. Or use light beams and speakers, when the beam is broken the speakers make noise: dogs barking, or something.

Deer are pretty skittish of any sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            set up an alarm system. Tin cans on a string at minimum. Or use light beams and speakers, when the beam is broken the speakers make noise: dogs barking, or something.

Deer are pretty skittish of any sound.
                            I think the most effective thing I've done in the past was motion activated sprinkles! I guess I need to do that again. I can't protect the WHOLE yard, but I can protect the flower beds and stuff.

I just need to let my UPS and FedEx guys know ahead of time this time.

Comment

I have the answer...

drones.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                OK, I've heard lots of "home remedies" for keeping deer out of your yard, but what really works?

I've heard "go to the barber shop and sweep up the hair off the floor cause deer hate that smell".

I've heard you can plant certain flowers -- germaniums? And other "natural remedies".

Apparently, my deer have not been advised on the latest deer repeller technologies or methods, cause they keep eating Mrs. CP's flowers.

(Now, never mind the fact that she bought a bag of DEER CORN to put in the front yard several years ago so the grandkids could see deer up close and personal -- NOW she wants them to stay AWAY! Could be our deer are just really confused... "you invite me there, then you shoo me away?")

I'd like to stay with NATURAL remedies. (one of my favorites was "buy some panther (or cougar) pee, and sprinkle some around the garden)
                                Not sure about "Deer Repellant" but as for "Deer Repellent" () some of the old timers around here recommend rotten eggs mixed with fish meal and hot peppers.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X