Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Catch of the Day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    Of course. I don't want you going up there if you are feeling bad, or are still worn out.
    It's mostly the new meds. Takes a while to get used to them, especially the blood pressure one.

I am saving my strength to catch seasquatch!

Comment

• Some from yesterda. My dad won, and he got 3 catfish, and 3.5 perch(a rule we have for when watching someone else's pole). My mom got a bluegill, and 1.5 perch. I got 3 perch, and 6 or 7 bluegill.

I hooked two big catfish, one broke the line straight out, the other was able to tangle himself in a downed tree and I had to give up.

Oh, and this is bizarre, but on of the bluegill was not hooked at all. The line was wrapped around his face, and his bottom fins. He was effectively hogtied. If only we had been able to take a picture of it, but it fell apart almost immediately after we figured out what happened.

Comment

• These are the pictures from last night. The perch were biting like crazy just before we left. I caught a total of 13 perch, 1 bluegill, and one minnow*. My dad got a bluegill hybrid(not sure what the other was called, but it's very colorful), a bass, at least one perch, and a catfish. My mom got that poor perch with the tail problems. Looks like a fish scoliosis.

*Our minnow trap fell apart when dad threw it out, I tried to reel it in since I didn't have any bait on the line, when I pulled it back in a minnow was on the hook perfect to use as bait.

Comment

• Some from several recent trips.

My dad and I both caught a catfish on Saturday, and we got some interesting minnows in our trap. They are excellent at attracting catfish*! His catfish was around 20-22".

I'm not sure, but that one catfish might be a "baby seasquatch". He jumped out of the water entirely when I reeled him in(no other catfish have done that before, and we see the Seasquatch do that fairly regularly). He is a lot paler than the Seasquatch, and quite a bit smaller. This guy was 24" long, and perhaps my biggest catfish ever. The others were caught by my dad. Those bluegill were caught by my mom. The perch are so common that we take less pictures of them now.

That one bass my dad is holding for a closeup is around 19".

*Sadly, they got off the hook before I could get them in. I know they were catfish, because nothing else hits that hard in that pond, nor can they bend my pole like that.

Comment

• A heavy jacket, hat, and... shorts???

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              A heavy jacket, hat, and... shorts???
              Pants are exceedingly uncomfortable for me to wear. In fact, downright painful. I also can't wear socks. So, shorts are and my Crocs are what I wear year round. Oddly enough, my legs don't really get very cold, but my feet can. I need to try and fix those shoes so no wind can blow in through those holes. I'd probably be fine then.

Comment

Pants are exceedingly uncomfortable for me to wear. In fact, downright painful. I also can't wear socks. So, shorts are and my Crocs are what I wear year round. Oddly enough, my legs don't really get very cold, but my feet can. I need to try and fix those shoes so no wind can blow in through those holes. I'd probably be fine then.
                I knew an elderly man who developed a similar condition that afflicted his legs only -- especially around his knees. I would regularly see him during the winter wearing a heavy coat and thick socks and boots but also in shorts. Upon occasion his legs were nearly blue from the cold.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• It was like Summer yesterday, and the fish were biting. We all got at least one catfish(my dad got too. ), and I'm pretty sure I broke my record for number of fish caught. I even caught a clam.

We are thinking that next year we are going to have to try and have a fish fry.

Comment

• My father-in-law and I went salmon fishing on the Columbia River about a month ago.

IMG_1772.JPG
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      My father-in-law and I went salmon fishing on the Columbia River about a month ago.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11345[/ATTACH]
                      Wow! Those are great catches.

Nice to see you back Carrik.

Comment

Wow! Those are great catches.
                        Yeah, it was pretty crazy. You're fighting a ~2mph current at first until the you untether from the anchor. They're barbless hooks, though, so you never set the hook, and you can't let the line go slack. If you tried to yank on the rod to set the hook, you'll actually just straighten the hook out.

The biggest one is ~31lb. I think they get up to ~45lb.

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                        Nice to see you back Carrik.
                        Thanks.
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Yeah, it was pretty crazy. You're fighting a ~2mph current at first until the you untether from the anchor. They're barbless hooks, though, so you never set the hook, and you can't let the line go slack. If you tried to yank on the rod to set the hook, you'll actually just straighten the hook out.

The biggest one is ~31lb. I think they get up to ~45lb.

Thanks.

Wow!

That sounds pretty cool. I wonder how our "Seasquatch"* measures up.

My biggest fish was maybe closer to 3-5 lbs. It was a 3' long carp. Half the time it was like fighting a giant bluegill, the other half was like reeling in dead weight. Unfortunately, I can't find the picture anywhere.

*The nickname we gave to a previously unidentified fish we saw jumping out in the middle. We're pretty certain it's a giant flathead catfish. They can get over 100 lbs., but we have no idea how big this guy is. Quick glimpses of him jumping out in the middle is all we have to go on. From that, all we know is that he's big, brown(mostly), and has an unusual shaped(very blunt and wide) head.

Comment

Wow!

That sounds pretty cool. I wonder how our "Seasquatch"* measures up.

My biggest fish was maybe closer to 3-5 lbs. It was a 3' long carp. Half the time it was like fighting a giant bluegill, the other half was like reeling in dead weight. Unfortunately, I can't find the picture anywhere.

*The nickname we gave to a previously unidentified fish we saw jumping out in the middle. We're pretty certain it's a giant flathead catfish. They can get over 100 lbs., but we have no idea how big this guy is. Quick glimpses of him jumping out in the middle is all we have to go on. From that, all we know is that he's big, brown(mostly), and has an unusual shaped(very blunt and wide) head.
                            Honestly, I think I like fishing for bass and catfish better. With only three salmon caught a piece, it's still a lot of work. It reminded me of halibut fishing where you're reeling in 300+ feet of line. Maybe I just need more practice.

I did give away over half of the salmon and still have 15 lbs of it in the freezer.

I didn't know catfish jumped. Too weird.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Honestly, I think I like fishing for bass and catfish better. With only three salmon caught a piece, it's still a lot of work. It reminded me of halibut fishing where you're reeling in 300+ feet of line. Maybe I just need more practice.
                              Yeah, I think I would like bass and catfish better too, but I still think it would be fun to try fishing for salmon once.

I did give away over half of the salmon and still have 15 lbs of it in the freezer.
                              I don't like the taste of salmon, so I would be even more disappointed.

I didn't know catfish jumped. Too weird.
                              Most of them don't, which is why we had a hard time identifying the fish. It's shape, and color pretty much confirmed flathead catfish. Although, we don't get a good look that way. The only other possibility was some form of carp, but the head shape is all wrong.

My most recent channel catfish jumped out of the pond like he was a bass when I reeled him in. I wish I had that on film, oh well, maybe next year I can put a jumping catfish video up.

Comment

I don't like the taste of salmon, so I would be even more disappointed.
                                You have obviously never tasted Copper River red salmon (AKA sockeye).
                                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X