Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Anything you want to know about honeybees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any strains of honeybees which form small colonies? I have seen no honeybees this year, not even when my lemon thyme and basil are blooming, which are usually like bee magnets. I have seen a few bumblebees, but even their numbers are way down.

I can hand pollinate the few things which need it but I miss having bees around. I couldn't get away with a full sized hive on my porch because yellow jackets are plentiful in this area and the bees would naturally be blamed for their evil behaviors.

Comment

Originally posted by Crow View Post
      Are there any strains of honeybees which form small colonies? I have seen no honeybees this year, not even when my lemon thyme and basil are blooming, which are usually like bee magnets. I have seen a few bumblebees, but even their numbers are way down.

I can hand pollinate the few things which need it but I miss having bees around. I couldn't get away with a full sized hive on my porch because yellow jackets are plentiful in this area and the bees would naturally be blamed for their evil behaviors.
      A Crow sighting!!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yeah. It happens once in a while.

Comment

http://www.beekeeping.com/articles/u...ng_started.htm

Found this
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Not honeybees, but bumble bees can be "kept." Not being a bumble bee person I can not help you with this. But the internet . . .

Come back more often for a visit. We miss you.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              The Kenya Topbar Hives are fun and less expensive to get started with, but they do not maintain smaller colonies. On the other hand they do not look like a "bee hive" if you can hang them from a tree. Would that help at all, Crow?

I just gave away my one KTH this spring to a second year beekeeper. They are fun, but a whole different ball game.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by GJ
                Come back more often for a visit. We miss you.
                Yeah!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yeah. It happens once in a while.
                  Far to seldom.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Far to seldom.

Nope. I'm not gonna.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Nope. I'm not gonna.
                      Your two kind.

Comment

My question's a little off-the-wall....

I've heard of bee stings being used as a kind of therapy--to treat arthritis, for example. Have you heard of this, and can you confirm/debunk it?
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          My question's a little off-the-wall....

I've heard of bee stings being used as a kind of therapy--to treat arthritis, for example. Have you heard of this, and can you confirm/debunk it?
                          I had a friend who had MS --- Bee Venom Therapy helped him a BUNCH.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            The Kenya Topbar Hives are fun and less expensive to get started with, but they do not maintain smaller colonies. On the other hand they do not look like a "bee hive" if you can hang them from a tree. Would that help at all, Crow?

I just gave away my one KTH this spring to a second year beekeeper. They are fun, but a whole different ball game.
                            A couple pages back it discussed several types of hives, some which have the tendency to limit size (and kill the whole colony during harvest... ). I just thought it was interesting.

I grew up with bee hives in our house - literally. Now I'm very wary of having hives around. I can handle normal honeybees (leave them alone and wear shoes outside) but an aggressive strain scares me.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I had a friend who had MS --- Bee Venom Therapy helped him a BUNCH.
                              Interesting, thanks. I find that kind of thing fascinating, and it's really cool that it apparently works. It's just cool when we learn that some weird herb or, heck, even bee stings, can treat stuff like that.
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

There are lots of therapeutic uses of bee venom (and other products of the hive) most of which I can not verify or debunk. I knew one old beekeeper who regularly treated his arthritis with bee stings and claimed it helped.

MS is the one use I can verify. Years ago we had a woman with MS come into our monthly beekeepers meeting. She planning to begin bee sting therapy the next day. She came in heavily dependent on crutches. The following month she came in carrying a cane over her arm, moving just fine. She and her husband came to my place once a week, all winter, to collect a hundred bees for the weeks treatments. The following spring they took up beekeeping to provide their own bees. She said the results were better than any of the treatments she had used before.

I must add that bee venom is not a cure. It is a treatment and, at least for the woman I was discussing, it stopped working after a few years, and she went on to some other treatment. As far as I know there has not been any scientific test done on bee sting therapy. The Arthritis Foundation did do a study years ago using whole bee extract, but it failed to show results. There are lots of web sites related to bee sting therapy where you might find more information. Keep in mind that many of these are "true believer" type sites.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X