Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Anything you want to know about honeybees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Haven't seen his ears, have you?

rogue06 wasn't talking about his own ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      rogue06 wasn't talking about his own ears.

I know - strange as it may seem, CP's are worse!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Is harvest before winter the norm?
        Not sure I understand the question exactly, but yes. I avoid messing with my bees during the winter as it is hard enough for them without my getting into them in cold weather.

In this area the nectar flow, when honey is actually made, runs from the bloom of the Dutch White Clover - about the end of the first week in June - through the end of July.

Before that the hive will build up on the trees, notably the willows, followed by Dandelions. The smaller winter cluster used the nectar and pollen from these early sources to feed the babies who will be the larger harvest season population. After the end of July there are still lots of things blooming and stores come in, but at a slower rate than they are being used. So I take the honey and feed back sugar syrup for them to make up winter stores.

Does that cover it? More than you wanted to know?
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

That covered it - I knew bee keepers encouraged bees to produce more than they could use themselves but I wasn't sure if they harvested before winter, when the bees start using their stores, or in spring, with whatever is left over.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

where does bacon come into this?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              On the plate next to the honey drenched toast.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

That covered it - I knew bee keepers encouraged bees to produce more than they could use themselves but I wasn't sure if they harvested before winter, when the bees start using their stores, or in spring, with whatever is left over.

Well it varies. I gave you my approach, which is pretty much the Alaskan approach. Other places people will only take part of the harvest leaving enough for the bees to winter on.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Bacon is a thing apart. I like a little honey occasionally, but bacon . . . I don't have the words.

Comment

On the plate next to the honey drenched toast.
                    Funny but I am not all that big on honey. I really like to play with the bees and honey is just a perk.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      Not sure I understand the question exactly, but yes. I avoid messing with my bees during the winter as it is hard enough for them without my getting into them in cold weather.

In this area the nectar flow, when honey is actually made, runs from the bloom of the Dutch White Clover - about the end of the first week in June - through the end of July.

Before that the hive will build up on the trees, notably the willows, followed by Dandelions. The smaller winter cluster used the nectar and pollen from these early sources to feed the babies who will be the larger harvest season population. After the end of July there are still lots of things blooming and stores come in, but at a slower rate than they are being used. So I take the honey and feed back sugar syrup for them to make up winter stores.

Does that cover it? More than you wanted to know?
                      That was so good I read it twice!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        That was so good I read it twice!
                        Wow, I only wrote it once.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          Wow, I only wrote it once.
                          Yup. I'm a conservationist.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Do bees process pollen before they eat it?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Do bees process pollen before they eat it?
                              Good question which I can not fully answer. Routinely they mix it with nectar and pack it into cells to form what we call "bee bread." Apparently they do eat some straight, though I do not know how commonly.

Comment

Cool, thanks.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X