Announcement

Collapse

Perissos Resources

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Lynn Erhorn is a licensed Christian Counselor with our Sister Site, Perissos Resources. TheologyWeb encourages you to visit and support this site. Here, Lynn offers her counseling "Minute Clinic," where you may ask questions and receive her professional response. Think of this forum as a Christian "Dear Abby." Please remember this forum is not intended as a full-service counseling solution and should not be considered a replacement for crisis intervention, medical care, or psychological/psychiatric advice. The reader is fully responsible for their response to anything read here and is encouraged to seek appropriate local resources appropriate for their needs. Lynn's license is in Pastoral Counseling and the thoughts expressed here are entirely her own, as she believes the Holy Spirit has led her. Your comments to those posing questions should be respectful and gracious at all times.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here
See more
See less

Considering an idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering an idea

I'm thinking I can start a basic cleaning service for friends and church members. I don't have many skills or the ability to hold down a 9-5 job right now, but I can clean ok. I know the materials I need and I can add subtract multiply and divide enough to figure out taxes....... suggestions?
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Sounds like a good idea. Eventually find more dependable people like yourself as coworkers and employees and you can become CEO of your own company.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
      I'm thinking I can start a basic cleaning service for friends and church members. I don't have many skills or the ability to hold down a 9-5 job right now, but I can clean ok. I know the materials I need and I can add subtract multiply and divide enough to figure out taxes....... suggestions?
      Hillary Clinton's looking for somebody to work on her server.

Comment

Offer a couple of freebies to people in your church in exchange for letters of recommendation and referrals.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
          Hillary Clinton's looking for somebody to work on her server.
          You mean wipe it? Like, with a cloth?
          "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            You mean wipe it? Like, with a cloth?
            Like Lois Lerner did. (I still think that's a nickname her high school civics teacher gave her.)

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
              Like Lois Lerner did. (I still think that's a nickname her high school civics teacher gave her.)
              More like this...

"Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Comment

Cath, I thought you were going to go to nursing school?

Comment

So, here's the official Counselor's response, since you posted in this forum. If you do the work without forming a business entity, your options would be to take only cash and not claim the income (an option, not a recommendation) or file self-employment taxes, which I believe have to be done quarterly and are considerable. If you form an LLC, and stipulate you want to be taxed as an S Corporation, you can file taxes as a business annually and take all the deductions that come along with that.

Check the laws in your state. If you're going to do a little cleaning here and there for friends and family, not advertise, and make less than $20,000 annually, I would carefully consider whether it would be worthwhile to form a company. There are a number of independent housekeepers in my neck of the woods who do this kind of work on a handshake. It's not legal, but it's very common.
                  sigpic
                  "...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

Comment

Originally posted by JardinPrayer View Post
                    So, here's the official Counselor's response, since you posted in this forum. If you do the work without forming a business entity, your options would be to take only cash and not claim the income (an option, not a recommendation) or file self-employment taxes, which I believe have to be done quarterly and are considerable. If you form an LLC, and stipulate you want to be taxed as an S Corporation, you can file taxes as a business annually and take all the deductions that come along with that.

Check the laws in your state. If you're going to do a little cleaning here and there for friends and family, not advertise, and make less than $20,000 annually, I would carefully consider whether it would be worthwhile to form a company. There are a number of independent housekeepers in my neck of the woods who do this kind of work on a handshake. It's not legal, but it's very common.
                    You can just run the business as a sole-proprietorship, and file an extra form with your taxes. The income is basically taxed as regular income, and you can write off expenses. I did this with my graphic design company for several years.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko;
                      Cath, I thought you were going to go to nursing school?
                      Ummm....I've been out of nursing school since I found out I was pregnant with Carolyn, two years ago. I'm only now considering my work options, one of which is the cleaning service since I can carry a baby on my back while cleaning for church clients. A second option is elder sitting (I have plenty of experience) while my FIL takes care of my 14 month old and I may attempt to do a CNA refresher course in Kansas. But I don't have the physical strength to even think about my prior work or going back to nursing school. Not since I tore my rotator cuff and had to have my foot reconstructed.
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                        Ummm....I've been out of nursing school since I found out I was pregnant with Carolyn, two years ago. I'm only now considering my work options, one of which is the cleaning service since I can carry a baby on my back while cleaning for church clients. A second option is elder sitting (I have plenty of experience) while my FIL takes care of my 14 month old and I may attempt to do a CNA refresher course in Kansas. But I don't have the physical strength to even think about my prior work or going back to nursing school. Not since I tore my rotator cuff and had to have my foot reconstructed.
                        being on your feet and knees for hours cleaning doesn't sound like a good idea then

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          being on your feet and knees for hours cleaning doesn't sound like a good idea then
                          I had thought about that, except I can just about do 3-4 hours at a time in light housework. which is fine for family/friends and church. Not good for a floor nursing aide. I can't lift 200 lbs any more, granted no one should be lifting 200 lbs except for body builders.
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Perhaps a companion service is better suited to you. Elder people often just get lonely, need a nutritious meal prepared, men's monitored, a few groceries brought in, or be taken to the park for some fresh air. Being able to play with a baby might be a bonus!
                            sigpic
                            "...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X