Announcement

Collapse

Glory Seed Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

These daily devotionals are brought to you by Gary Piper, a writer with our Sister Site, Natural Spirit Ministries. TheologyWeb encourages you to visit and support their site.... they have many informative articles which can be discussed right here. If you enjoy Gary Piper's devotionals, please send him an encouraging note or post. We are very appreciative of our partnership with Natural Spirit Ministries and look forward to many more co-ventures.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Glory Seed Devotional 08/05/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glory Seed Devotional 08/05/2014

A Planting of Faith Seeds for the Glory of the LORD
    Depending on God…

I am 100% convinced that everything that happens to us is not initiated by God. I am also 100% convinced that God can and does take what happens to us and create a greater good out of it. The apostle Paul writes, “God is the one who began this good work in you, and I am certain that he won’t stop before it is complete on the day that Christ Jesus returns.” (Philippians 1:6, CEV)

Today there is a great deal of emphasis placed on our independence/freedom and its cost in terms of human lives. People will go to great lengths even put their lives in jeopardy in their quest for independence/freedom. Yet in contrast to our need to be independent and free is God’s desire that we depend totally on him. God’s desire that we depend totally on him is aptly illustrated in Gideon’s army of 300 defeating an army of tens of thousands.

“The LORD said, “Gideon, your army is too big. I can’t let you win with this many soldiers. The Israelites would think that they had won the battle all by themselves and that I didn’t have anything to do with it… The LORD said, “Gideon, your army will be made up of everyone who lapped the water from their hands. Send the others home. I’m going to rescue Israel by helping you and your army of three hundred defeat the Midianites.” (Judges 7:2, 7 CEV)

Sure, there are times when it seems as if we don’t need God. For example if we break a bone we don’t need to go to God we can go to a doctor. We can even have a heart attack and not need God to help us survive it. Our need to depend on God doesn’t come from what we need to survive life; our need to depend on God comes from our need to live because to live is more than a beating heart and a functioning brain. To live is to see life not as something to endure but as something we draw hope, joy, love, and peace from. God doesn’t want us to give up our independence/freedom he simply wants us to place the outcome of our life in his hands because life does not come out of our world, life comes from God and eventually must return to God.

Please allow me to use myself as an example of what depending on God can and does mean to you. Yesterday I saw the doctor who is treating my Pulmonary Fibrosis which had caused my lung capacity to fall to a dangerous level. And because of “treatment” he’d prescribed my lung capacity increased to a not-so-dangerous level but since there is no cure it is out of God’s love and compassion I will continue to draw hope and peace for the life I’ve yet to live.

Depending on God does not always change what is happening to us but it DOES change us!

Believe it! Experience it!
    Grace and PEACE!
    Gary

“Turn to the LORD! He can still be found. Call out to God! He is near.” (Isaiah 55:6, CEV)

Note: Should you want to go back and review this Glory Seed or if you’d like to subscribe so you can receive them in your email you can do so by clicking on this link: http://gloryseeds.wordpress.com/.

Scripture marked CEV are taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991, 1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Amen Gary! Encouraging words indeed!
    3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X