Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

It is time to purge the Church of its heretics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I would like to quote from Sheet Music, as I alluded to it in the previous thread that was deleted, but I am not sure the quotation would be appropriate for a family site. However, his basic takeaway is that Song of Solomon seems to allude to oral sex, not in a negative manner, and that most biblical scholars believe that this plus an absence of a direct prohibition leave Christians who feel comfortable with it within marriage in a "safe" position religious wise. Obviously if somebody is not comfortable doing it they should not.
    Did Solomon set the boundaries for what can be done in a marriage? Bill the Cat brings up a good point that Solomon was a scoundrel.

Some Christians enjoy anal sex, but I don't see any allusions to sodomy in Song of Solomon.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
      Did Solomon set the boundaries for what can be done in a marriage? Bill the Cat brings up a good point that Solomon was a scoundrel.

Some Christians enjoy anal sex, but I don't see any allusions to sodomy in Song of Solomon.
      At least based on my English reading, there seem to bee negative references to sodomy in general in the New Testament. I have not studied the issue or the word but it is at least possible these prohibitions apply heterosexually.

I don't remember offhand where these are.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

At least based on my English reading, there seem to bee negative references to sodomy in general in the New Testament. I have not studied the issue or the word but it is at least possible these prohibitions apply heterosexually.

I don't remember offhand where these are.
        I don't understand the logic of that if true. If the prohibition is merely based on teleology, then oral sex within marriage should also be prohibited. Neither act is procreative!

It'd be strange if Solomon set the boundaries of what's sexually permissable within a marriage, particularly since he was an infidel of the highest order.

Comment

I don't understand the logic of that if true. If the prohibition is merely based on teleology, then oral sex within marriage should also be prohibited. Neither act is procreative!

It'd be strange if Solomon set the boundaries of what's sexually permissable within a marriage, particularly since he was an infidel of the highest order.
          I don't think anybody is arguing that Solomon set the boundaries. The argument is simply that Solomon's behavior, as depicted within the canon, is evidence that this particular boundary may not exist.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Nope. If your wife hasn't used her breasts for anything other than feeding her children, you'll know what I'm getting at.
            In human beings breasts on the female are what is known as secondary sexual characteristics. So they are indeed reproductively meaningful in humans, even before birth or pregnancy.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              In human beings breasts on the female are what is known as secondary sexual characteristics. So they are indeed reproductively meaningful in humans, even before birth or pregnancy.
              The buttocks aren't reproductively meaningful, so I suppose they're off limits?

Comment

This is a much more biblical view in my opinion than one since-banned poster who implied based on 1 Corinthians 7 that a Christian could force intercourse with an unwilling spouse. The question isn't what you can do, it's what you and your spouse both want to do and marital love precludes trying to hurt the other.
                Agreed, and at the same time, marriage is also about sacrificing for one another so I think even if a spouse doesn't feel like having sex, there are times they should be willing to put their feelings aside and have sex.

Comment

I would like to quote from Sheet Music, as I alluded to it in the previous thread that was deleted, but I am not sure the quotation would be appropriate for a family site. However, his basic takeaway is that Song of Solomon seems to allude to oral sex, not in a negative manner, and that most biblical scholars believe that this plus an absence of a direct prohibition leave Christians who feel comfortable with it within marriage in a "safe" position religious wise. Obviously if somebody is not comfortable doing it they should not.
                  As Song of Solomon seems to suggest, sexual activity is definitely not always for procreative purposes.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

The buttocks aren't reproductively meaningful, so I suppose they're off limits?
                    Totally unrelated to what I was saying. You might better understand my position after reading the above post.

Comment

Whag is trolling on one of his two TWeb obsessions: sexual matters and evolution.

The Church is being destroyed, destroyed I tell you, because neither Paul nor Solomon wrote about anal sex inside marriage, and, worse still, they failed to teach evolutionary theory to overcome the obvious errors in Genesis.

</sarcasm>
                      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                        Whag is trolling on one of his two TWeb obsessions: sexual matters and evolution.

The Church is being destroyed, destroyed I tell you, because neither Paul nor Solomon wrote about anal sex inside marriage, and, worse still, they failed to teach evolutionary theory to overcome the obvious errors in Genesis.

</sarcasm>
                        No, rather I'm testing djbrock and Jedediah on their natural law views related to sex. And, yes, evolution has a lot to do with that, making the issue more ambiguous than they like.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          Totally unrelated to what I was saying. You might better understand my position after reading the above post.
                          But it must always involve the body parts that are "reproductively meaningful," whatever that means. You're not being entirely clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                            Agreed, and at the same time, marriage is also about sacrificing for one another so I think even if a spouse doesn't feel like having sex, there are times they should be willing to put their feelings aside and have sex.
                            Or just sacrifice your feelings and do without intercourse. Queens are entitled to that.

Comment

Or just sacrifice your feelings and do without intercourse. Queens are entitled to that.
                              Sometimes a man has to, but for a man in marriage this is a need and biblically, I see it as commanded. Without sex in marriage, a man will feel undesirable and like he doesn't matter

I suspect we have these debates because people don't really think much about sex and its role in marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                                Sometimes a man has to, but for a man in marriage this is a need and biblically, I see it as commanded. Without sex in marriage, a man will feel undesirable and like he doesn't matter

I suspect we have these debates because people don't really think much about sex and its role in marriage.
                                If the deflection of advances is so frequent as to cause feelings of undesirability, the issues are much deeper than can be fixed by occasional sacrifice.

Comment