Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

The Supreme Court And Redefining Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
    That's great. But where are the protests? Why is it that here in America where we have so much violence we don't see Christians mass marching in the streets?
    I keep thinking about how revealing this is of liberal thought --- instead of actually DOING something about a problem, make up banners and "march in the streets". And demand that others - who ARE doing something - drop what they're doing and join the Silly Parade.

Look at the "marching in the streets" that you guys did in Baltimore and Ferguson and long before that? What did it accomplish. A lot of the locals got their businesses destroyed, economies negatively impacted, people arrested for vandalism, racial tensions heightened even more, city budgets burdened with additional costs, race pimps rush into to incite more hatred....

Look at what Mother Emanuel's CHRISTIAN RESPONSE accomplished --- it brought a community even closer together, there was no need for the race pimps to come in and incite riots, the world was profoundly impressed.

Then, what did the liberals do? Take all that love and admiration and grace and turn it into hatred of a piece of cloth.

You guys astound me.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 06-27-2015, 12:52 PM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Interesting you should bring that up, because I remember the "gay and lesbian community" advocating for "civil unions" as opposed to "marriage", and assuring us that there was no desire on their part to demand "marriage". Many of us suspected that was a ruse to lure us into a false sense of security or something, and "marriage" was the real goal.
      And today we are promised that there will be no effort made to force Christians to perform said sinful marriages. How long before this too is shown to be a lie?
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Why is Christianity an acceptable target? Is it because we aren't going to murder people if we're offended?
        Last edited by Christianbookworm; 06-27-2015, 02:11 PM.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          And today we are promised that there will be no effort made to force Christians to perform said sinful marriages. How long before this too is shown to be a lie?
          Houston's lesbian activist mayor was only getting started. I think she was really stunned by us poor iggnernent pastors standing up to her abuse of power. I'm wondering how far she would have gone had we not rebelled.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            Why is Christianity an acceptable target?
            Because Satan is the prince of the power of the air. "You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil--the commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God."

Comment

• Originally posted by fm93 View Post
              That's an excuse. As I already mentioned, I had countless disagreements with my parents when I was younger, but I could always tell that they loved me. If people can't sense that even in the midst of disagreement they're still loved, the church has failed in its duty.
              The problem is while no one specifically says I want to be accepted but continue sinning, that is exactly what they want. Simply calling their sin out as sin is, in their minds, hateful. No matter the truth of many Christians concerns for their souls, simply disagreeing is considered hate. It is as though when you chose as a child to disobey and expected your parents to accept that and TREAT you as you wanted.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                Let's ponder the paranoia on display here. You're actually worried that gays will begin to legally force conservative anti-gay pastors like Cow Poke to marry them. You must be out of your cotton-pickin' mind. There might be some who go to that extent, but it will be rare enough for the media attention to be huge and public sympathy will be for the anti-gay pastor, not the obvious idiot troll couple.

Seriously, you should be embarrassed that you think you'll be persecuted en masse this way. Most lesbian couples wouldn't think to go to such lengths to force an anti-gay pastor whose bigoted views they don't share to marry them. Think.

Comment

Because Satan is the prince of the power of the air. "You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil--the commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God."
                  What the heck does "prince of the power of the air" mean?

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
                    Let's ponder the paranoia on display here. You're actually worried that gays will begin to legally force conservative anti-gay pastors like Cow Poke to marry them.
                    It's really dishonest for you to call me "anti-gay", What. I mean, I realize why you need to do it, but I believe homosexuality is wrong. I am not "anti-gay".

You must be out of your cotton-pickin' mind. There might be some who go to that extent, but it will be rare enough for the media attention to be huge and public sympathy will be for the anti-gay pastor, not the obvious idiot troll couple.
                    And you must be out of your cotton-pickin' mind if you don't think that some activist gay or lesbian would manage to "be offended", and in this current environment be unable to find an activist judge to back him or her.

Seriously, you should be embarrassed that you think you'll be persecuted en masse this way.
                    I think it's silly to think it would be "en masse" - as I said, it would be an activist trying to establish a test case.

Most lesbian couples wouldn't think to go to such lengths to force an anti-gay pastor whose bigoted views they don't share to marry them. Think.
                    You're far more anti-Christian than you are pro-gay, Whag. You're just not honest enough to admit it.

Comment

What the heck does "prince of the power of the air" mean?
                      Ah, I thought you fancied yourself an expert on the Bible!

Comment

It's really dishonest for you to call me "anti-gay", What. I mean, I realize why you need to do it, but I believe homosexuality is wrong. I am not "anti-gay".
                        You believe it's wrong, therefore anti. You're anti-abortion, meaning you believe abortion is wrong. No reason to take offense to something you've explicitly expressed.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        And you must be out of your cotton-pickin' mind if you don't think that some activist gay or lesbian would manage to "be offended", and in this current environment be unable to find an activist judge to back him or her.

I think it's silly to think it would be "en masse" - as I said, it would be an activist trying to establish a test case.
                        Right, and that goes with what I said. For the reasons I specified, it wouldn't be any more of a wide-scale persecution than any other legal anomaly. You'd have public support because the absurdity of a couple's demand to have someone who hates homosexual conduct marry them would be obvious. If you can't get a proper legal Christian legal team to demonstrate THAT, that's your own fault.

Man, I don't get you. You should be saying "bring it" as a staunch Christian, not fearing these possibilities.

Liberals welcome these kinds of inverse cases to call attention to their principles. They're opportunities to shine.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        You're far more anti-Christian than you are pro-gay, Whag. You're just not honest enough to admit it.
                        No, I'm anti conservative anything, Muslim, Mormon, evangelical. I'm married to a Christian. You mistake my not letting Adrift get away with exaggerating Christianity's efficaciousness with blanket opposition to all Christians.

I'm willing to relent and say the same of you, but so far I've only seen the same lame twaddle from you -- CDC stats to make homosexuality in general appear dangerous (you know it's not inherently dangerous), comparisons to alcoholism, slippery slope fears, etc.

Comment

Ah, I thought you fancied yourself an expert on the Bible!
                          I'm not! And I'm sure you're not, either. (Few really are.) But how do you interpret that verse? What the heck do you believe Satan's doing exactly?

Comment

You believe it's wrong, therefore anti.
                            Yes, I am anti-homosexuality.

You're anti-abortion, meaning you believe abortion is wrong.
                            Correct, I am against the act of abortion. However, I'm not anti-women who have had abortions.

No reason to take offense to something you've explicitly expressed.
                            And no reason to distort something I've specifically expressed to suit your anti-Christian agenda.

Right, and that goes with what I said. For the reasons I specified, it wouldn't be any more of a wide-scale persecution than any other legal anomaly.
                            You're really not very good at this, Whag. If there were a test case that was heard by an activist judge, it should not be at all surprising that there would be a huge sea change.

You'd have public support because the absurdity of a couple's demand to have someone who hates homosexual conduct marry them would be obvious. If you can't get a proper legal Christian legal team to demonstrate THAT, that's your own fault.
                            Yes, for now I believe that would be true... but wait til the homohysteria dies down a bit.

Man, I don't get you.
                            Not surprising at all.

You should be saying "bring it" as a staunch Christian, not fearing these possibilities.
                            I DON'T fear those possibilities, Whag - I BATTLE them - as I did in Austin last month testifying before the House and Senate, standing with about 200 other pastors and passing the Pastor Protection Bill.

Liberals welcome these kinds of inverse cases to call attention to their principles. They're opportunities to shine.
                            Well, yeah, I'm no stranger to courtroom challenges, Whag.

No, I'm anti conservative anything,
                            Why, yes you ARE... you're anti-Christian! Just look at your posting here! You come to a Christian board to do battle with Christians "in our house". But that's OK, I find you amusing.

Muslim, Mormon, evangelical. I'm married to a Christian. You mistake my not letting Adrift get away with exaggerating Christianity's efficaciousness with blanket opposition to all Christians.
                            Married her to punish her, eh? (Kidding, Whag - I married a Lutheran to get back at a Lutheran Sunday School teacher who rapped my knuckles in Vacation Bible School. KIDDING!!!!!!)

I'm willing to relent and say the same of you, but so far I've only seen the same lame twaddle from you -- CDC stats to make homosexuality in general appear dangerous (you know it's not inherently dangerous), comparisons to alcoholism, slippery slope fears, etc.
                            I'll be glad to toss the CDC stats, Whag -- the crux of the thing is that God says homosexuality is wrong. Regardless of what any stats would say.

Comment

I'm not! And I'm sure you're not, either. (Few really are.) But how do you interpret that verse? What the heck do you believe Satan's doing exactly?
                              How bout taking a stab at it ... I printed the "easy reader" version.

Comment

• Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                                What do we do?

The link can be found here.

The text is as follows:

What do we do now that the court has ruled? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Like many of you, I'm disappointed by the ruling of the court today on marriage, but I am not shocked. We've had this before and it's not the end of the world. The court also ruled on abortion. The question now comes to what are we going to do from here?

We are going to do what our marching orders already were. They were the Great Commission and they haven't changed. They're still the same. Are we living in a culture that despises Christianity for the most part. Yes, as were the first Christians and in fact, they lived in a worse one. (I am speaking to those living in America) We have not yet resisted, as Hebrews would say, to the point of shedding our blood, though many of us do think such a time is coming. Many of us can be disappointed that this ruling happened, and that is understandable, but we should not be shocked. Why did it happen?

It's not because the world did what they do. That is what we'd expect. Why should we expect people who don't share that worldview would act as if they did? If you want to know what has gone wrong in this country, it is not the fault of those outside the body of Christ. They are not to blame. It is the fault of those who are in the body of Christ. The reason things have happened the way they have is we have not followed our marching orders. We have insulated ourselves inside of our little bubbles and hoped that Jesus would just come back and ignored what happened in the world around us. I mean, as long as we and our children are okay, so what? We've done our part.

We have never fully done our part. Our part is never done.

Today is not a day to look in fear. Today is a day to look at what has happened and say "Challenge accepted." We never stopped fighting against abortion despite the ruling of the court, just as over a century and a half ago some would not stop fighting against slavery, despite the Dred Scott decision. Why should we stop now? If we are right in our claim that marriage is a man and a woman, no ruling from a court could change that. That would be like saying that if the court ruled tomorrow that triangles have four sides or that something can go faster than the speed of light, then we would accept those things as well.

So what do we do?

The same thing we've always done. We just now remember what the stakes are when we don't follow our marching orders. We are to do all that we can to spread the Kingdom of God and it should not be a shock to us that we face opposition along that path and often from the governments, just like the early Christians did. Let us instead of being afraid, come together and unite as we should and do that which we were told to do.

We will be either obedient to Christ or we won't.

I've made my choice.

What's yours?

in Christ,
                                Nick Peters
                                This is a secular country, you don't get to define marriage based on your beliefs for the rest of the country who don't hold to your beliefs.

Here is Justice Kennedys reasoning in his deciding vote:

http://www.thinkprogress.org/lgbt/20...ge-definition/

Comment