Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

The Ham/Nye Debate: I Don't Care.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ham/Nye Debate: I Don't Care.

Yep. Unfortunately, the blizzard did not come through and stop the whole thing.

http://deeperwaters.wordpress.com/20...y-i-dont-care/

Good writ man.
    Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
    As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

The nation should have watched Licona's lecture instead.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        The nation should have watched Licona's lecture instead.
        Now THAT would have been most fascinating.
        Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
        As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

BTW Nick loved your blog post.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Thanks all and yes, Mike's talk should have been watched instead.

Comment

I guess you're not a creationist?

Comment

Originally posted by nico View Post
                I guess you're not a creationist?
                Did you read the linked blog post? He clearly states that he is an Old Earth Creationist.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

It also depends on what is meant by creationist. The problem is that's a loose term. I simply take it to mean I hold to a creator God. How did He create? Beats me. That's for science to figure out. Why and did He? Yes, and that's for those of us who study theology to figure out.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    Did you read the linked blog post? He clearly states that he is an Old Earth Creationist.
                    No, can't say I did. I just read forum posts and generally ignore links.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                      It also depends on what is meant by creationist. The problem is that's a loose term. I simply take it to mean I hold to a creator God. How did He create? Beats me. That's for science to figure out. Why and did He? Yes, and that's for those of us who study theology to figure out.
                      Do you feel that way about Biblical history too? Theology depends on certain presuppositions - a point that Ham was trying very hard to make. There's no such thing as theology divorced from history, in this case creation, especially when it's inextricably interwoven with the text. The Bible does actually address creation very specifically, so you most certainly have a view that you believe in and really can't say "beats me" as if it doesn't matter. It sounds like you're only a theologian (or a Christian for that matter) insofar as the Scriptures address metaphysical ideas, and basically view the rest of the text as unauthoritative.

Comment

NO. I don't feel anyway. I think a certain way. History is a more straightforward term used regularly but creationist has been hijacked so that it can refer to a YEC or a TE with no differentiation often. I have also never said that theology is divorced from history. Our theology is shaped by history to a strong extent thanks to the incarnation. The best way to know what God is like is to look at Jesus.

The Bible does address creation specifically, I agree, but not in the way that moderns think it does. It addresses creation as a functional account rather than a material account. You might have known my sources if you'd read what I said.

And no, the whole of the text is authoritative. Genesis 1-2 is indeed authoritative and I take the passages quite seriously and have done much thinking on them. I just don't make them answer questions they were never meant to answer.

Comment

Yep. Unfortunately, the blizzard did not come through and stop the whole thing.

http://deeperwaters.wordpress.com/20...y-i-dont-care/
                          Why do you see the debate as evolution vs Christianity? I saw it as evolution vs young Earth creationism. Is the problem that you equate Christianity with creationism?
                          My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
                            Why do you see the debate as evolution vs Christianity? I saw it as evolution vs young Earth creationism. Is the problem that you equate Christianity with creationism?
                            So when I see the Ham/Nye debate, I see the perpetuating of a stereotype that I do not want perpetuated. I see it being made as again, science vs. the Bible and if you hold to the Bible, well you have to hold to a young-earth.
                            I'm having doubts about your reading comprehension skills.

Comment

NO. I don't feel anyway. I think a certain way. History is a more straightforward term used regularly but creationist has been hijacked so that it can refer to a YEC or a TE with no differentiation often. I have also never said that theology is divorced from history. Our theology is shaped by history to a strong extent thanks to the incarnation. The best way to know what God is like is to look at Jesus.
                              Fair enough.

The Bible does address creation specifically, I agree, but not in the way that moderns think it does. It addresses creation as a functional account rather than a material account. You might have known my sources if you'd read what I said.
                              I disagree, but OK. I'm not going to read your article. If you want to discuss something maybe your should summarize it instead of a pithy one-liner followed with a link? It's not wrong, it's just my opinion and like many others won't engage if I have to move outside the forum to participate.

And no, the whole of the text is authoritative. Genesis 1-2 is indeed authoritative and I take the passages quite seriously and have done much thinking on them. I just don't make them answer questions they were never meant to answer.
                              I think it becomes much harder to interpret and convolutes the text when viewing it that way.

Comment