Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Why is Bruce an Exception?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, whatever "courage" award it was that he was given, it was amazing to watch all those adoring fans listen to a man with fake boobs speak in a man's voice while wearing a dress, pretending he's a woman.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      So, whatever "courage" award it was that he was given, it was amazing to watch all those adoring fans listen to a man with fake boobs speak in a man's voice while wearing a dress, pretending he's a woman.
      Even more amazing you tuned in to see it. I didn't peg you as the type to be lured by sensationalism.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
        Even more amazing you tuned in to see it.
        Well, it MIGHT be amazing that I tuned in to see it, if that actually happened. I was trying to fix my DirecTV remote, and accidentally came across it.

I didn't peg you as the type to be lured by sensationalism.
        And I didn't peg you as the type to make a thoughtful post, so we're good!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, it MIGHT be amazing that I tuned in to see it, if that actually happened. I was trying to fix my DirecTV remote, and accidentally came across it.
          You accidentally came across it.

And I didn't peg you as the type to make a thoughtful post, so we're good!
          You resurrected a thread to say you find transexuals weird.

Comment

You accidentally came across it.
            Yes, that's a fact.

You resurrected a thread to say you find transexuals weird.
            No, I 'resurrected a thread' to say what I said in post #46. I thought the audience was even weirder than Bruce.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
              My wife shared on her Facebook a meme of some soldiers going to say they were going to congratulate Bruce Jenner for his courage, obviously said in sarcasm.
              I think y'all should make up your minds to either stop attacking Jenner for coming out, or stop attacking claims that it took courage.

Comment

Seems like the person who downplayed the courage aspect the most was Jenner, actually.

You know, it is an honor to have the word “courage” associated with my life, but on this night another word comes to mind, and that is “fortunate.” I owe a lot to sports. It’s showed me the world. It’s given me an identity. If someone wanted to bully me, well you know what, I was the MVP of the football team—that just wasn’t going to be a problem. And the same goes tonight. If you want to call me names, make jokes, doubt my intentions, go ahead. Because the reality is, I can take it. But for the thousands of kids out there coming to terms with being true to who they are, they shouldn’t have to take it. So for the people out there wondering what this is all about, whether it’s about courage or controversy or publicity, well, I’ll tell you what it’s all about: It’s about what happens from here. It’s not just about one person. It’s about thousands of people. It’s not just about me, it’s about all of us accepting one another. We’re all different. That’s not a bad thing. That’s a good thing. And while it may not easy to get past the things you [don’t always] understand, I want to prove that it is absolutely possible if we only do it together.
                Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                  Seems like the person who downplayed the courage aspect the most was Jenner, actually.
                  Yes, even he realized that calling it "courage" was stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                    I think y'all should make up your minds to either stop attacking Jenner for coming out, or stop attacking claims that it took courage.
                    Why?
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Yes, that's a fact.

No, I 'resurrected a thread' to say what I said in post #46. I thought the audience was even weirder than Bruce.
                      Nice try. No, you don't think the audience was weirder than a man who decided he wanted breasts. At worse, they simply overestimate the bravery it takes to change one's identity so drastically (which is understandable). At worse they're overly supportive and gushing, but few of them if any would go to the extremes of surgically impersonating the opposite gender.

Comment

Nice try.
                        Why do you have to be such a jackwagon? What am I "trying"? I try to treat you with respect, but you make it so difficult.

No, you don't think the audience was weirder than a man who decided he wanted breasts.
                        How do YOU know what I think? Yes, it's weird that a man wants to have breasts and wear a dress and appear on the cover of a fashion magazine. I think it's just as weird, if not moreso, that a bunch of people would sit there and get sucked into the weirdness as though this was something noble or honorable.

At worse, they simply overestimate the bravery it takes to change one's identity so drastically (which is understandable). At worse they're overly supportive and gushing, but few of them if any would go to the extremes of surgically impersonating the opposite gender.
                        So what?

Comment

Bruce... meet Mick

not-a-lady-o.gif
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Why do you have to be such a jackwagon? What am I "trying"? I try to treat you with respect, but you make it so difficult.

How do YOU know what I think? Yes, it's weird that a man wants to have breasts and wear a dress and appear on the cover of a fashion magazine. I think it's just as weird, if not moreso, that a bunch of people would sit there and get sucked into the weirdness as though this was something noble or honorable.

So what?
                            I think they were more acknowledging his athletic achievements. There was probably also a bit of acknowledging that reversing masculinity isn't an easy or fun thing to do. People don't just decide to be transformed into a girl for kicks. For instance, I doubt whether you were ever tempted to undergo such surgery. That usually involves deep confusion. It's a teleology/PoE problem, really, which is probably why conservative Christians can't process it.

Comment

It's not fair Bruce Jenner and his girlfriend (who used to be a man also) are prettier than me -_-;

Comment

Originally posted by toodlesdoodles View Post
                                It's not fair Bruce Jenner and his girlfriend (who used to be a man also) are prettier than me -_-;
                                I've seen a picture of you. That's simply not true.

Comment