Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Why is Bruce an Exception?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I realized as I was typing that I was telling you something you already know. Instead of canceling the post, which I shoulda done, I neverminded it.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
        (Jenner, in fact, is a professed Christian)
        So, out of curiosity, does it bother any of you guys that Jenner didn't just go from man to pretend woman, but that he went all the way to "glamor girl"? Would you claim that's who he was inside?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

He is only a glamor girl because of heavy make up or photo shop.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Is it true that God purposely created in Jenner a woman's soul to see how Bruce would deal with it? One thing I see wrong with that is that God would need time--when Bruce grew up (?)--to know what would eventuate. Not like what I think of God.
            The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              So, out of curiosity, does it bother any of you guys that Jenner didn't just go from man to pretend woman, but that he went all the way to "glamor girl"? Would you claim that's who he was inside?
              The only way he can look like a girl is with heavy makeup.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                The only way he can look like a girl is with heavy makeup.
                My aunt Clara was like that.

Comment

The fact that God has given us His Spirit to "walk along side" us (Paraclete) does not mean that His Spirit controls us against our will. We don't become God's puppets. We still have the ability to disobey God and His Will.

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to humanity. God is faithful, and He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation He will also provide a way of escape so that you are able to bear it.

I think you're equating the indwelling of the Holy Spirit with demon possession. God's power is available to us, but it doesn't force us to be obedient to God's Will. Paul himself made it clear that it's a daily struggle, and often the things he should not do, he does, and the things he should do, he does not.

Using your reasoning, no Christian would ever lie, murder, steal, fornicate, get divorced, commit suicide....
                  That's not my reasoning. Obviously I'm aware that from a theological perspective, Christians can resist the influence of the Holy Spirit and commit sins. But those would be cases of merely losing spiritual battles. Let's look at that last example. Committing suicide, to me, seems to be on an entirely different level from sins like dishonesty, murder, theft, etc. Those are things that people to do other people. Suicide, meanwhile, is the act of taking the self--that which is most intimately familiar to us, and indeed literally IS us--and ending it. But the self of a Christian is supposed to be infused with the Holy Spirit. That would mean that suicide is tantamount to the Spirit letting its own temple be destroyed by its inhabitor. If that which commonly influences people to commit suicide--depression--is the product of warfare from malevolent spiritual entities, then the Spirit would be allowing its enemies to completely destroy its holy dwelling place. That would be an instance of a Spirit-infused believer losing not just spiritual battles, but the spiritual war altogether.

On the other hand, if depression is the product of biological problems, then things make more sense. It's not a case of losing a spiritual war; rather, it's a case of someone succumbing to the grip of a fallen, death-and-decay filled world, which God made no promises to spare people from presently.

Now, since Adrift specifically mentioned the analogy of the body being a temple in his earlier post, I figured that there would be a parallel here--that the transgender experience can be thought of in a similar manner.
                  Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

I'm just wondering if there's any claim that Jenner ever attempted to handle this as a spiritual matter. One summary of his interview with Diane Sawyer (I'm looking for a less biased source) has Jenner explaining that God, when creating Jenner, purposely put a girl's soul in him to see "how he'll deal with that", and smiled. If that's true - it seems Bruce was mocking God, not appealing for help.
                    I can't find the specific video clip now, but I watched the interview, and from the context it didn't seem like a mockery at all. Jenner said something like (significantly paraphrased) "I think of it like this--God, when he was making people, decided that everyone has to have something that they deal with, something they have to struggle with. When God was making me, he said 'Let's see...we'll give him extraordinary athleticism, a kind and caring demeanor, but what is HIS thing to struggle with?' And then God smiled, and said "I know. Let's give him the soul of a girl, and see how he'll deal with that."
                    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

That's not my reasoning. Obviously I'm aware that from a theological perspective, Christians can resist the influence of the Holy Spirit and commit sins. But those would be cases of merely losing spiritual battles. Let's look at that last example. Committing suicide, to me, seems to be on an entirely different level from sins like dishonesty, murder, theft, etc.
                      Well, sure, cause you can't repent from suicide - you can from the other things. :

Those are things that people to do other people. Suicide, meanwhile, is the act of taking the self--that which is most intimately familiar to us, and indeed literally IS us--and ending it. But the self of a Christian is supposed to be infused with the Holy Spirit.
                      "infused"?

That would mean that suicide is tantamount to the Spirit letting its own temple be destroyed by its inhabitor. If that which commonly influences people to commit suicide--depression--is the product of warfare from malevolent spiritual entities, then the Spirit would be allowing its enemies to completely destroy its holy dwelling place. That would be an instance of a Spirit-infused believer losing not just spiritual battles, but the spiritual war altogether.
                      Where are you getting "Spirit-infused"? And, yes, it's a final defeat in this world. I personally believe that a person can still go to Heaven if he commits suicide, if he was a believer, just like somebody who died of cancer who was a believer.

On the other hand, if depression is the product of biological problems, then things make more sense. It's not a case of losing a spiritual war; rather, it's a case of someone succumbing to the grip of a fallen, death-and-decay filled world, which God made no promises to spare people from presently.
                      Where are you going with this? The Holy Spirit does not "possess" us. And it is entirely possible for us, as Christians, to be disobedient.

Now, since Adrift specifically mentioned the analogy of the body being a temple in his earlier post, I figured that there would be a parallel here--that the transgender experience can be thought of in a similar manner.
                      How bout trying to boil this down into whatever point you're trying to make, OK?

Comment

I can't find the specific video clip now, but I watched the interview, and from the context it didn't seem like a mockery at all. Jenner said something like (significantly paraphrased) "I think of it like this--God, when he was making people, decided that everyone has to have something that they deal with, something they have to struggle with. When God was making me, he said 'Let's see...we'll give him extraordinary athleticism, a kind and caring demeanor, but what is HIS thing to struggle with?' And then God smiled, and said "I know. Let's give him the soul of a girl, and see how he'll deal with that."
                        He's making God out to be a cruel prankster - I think that's mockery. Maybe not quite blasphemy.

Comment

I personally believe that a person can still go to Heaven if he commits suicide, if he was a believer, just like somebody who died of cancer who was a believer.
                          Just for the record. I don't believe this. I believe that most people who've committed suicide have, in the end, rejected their faithfulness in Christ; With the qualification that Christ is the final arbiter.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                            Just for the record. I don't believe this. I believe that most people who've committed suicide have, in the end, rejected their faithfulness in Christ; With the qualification that Christ is the final arbiter.
                            Which is why I said "a person can" rather than "a person will". I should have made it more clear - I was talking about somebody who was a believer, but perhaps had a mental illness. I don't think I have ever indicated that somebody who rejects their faith would go to heaven.

I even put "if he was a believer", but that could have been construed as "in the past". Thanks for the opportunity to clarify

Comment

Which is why I said "a person can" rather than "a person will". I should have made it more clear - I was talking about somebody who was a believer, but perhaps had a mental illness. I don't think I have ever indicated that somebody who rejects their faith would go to heaven.

I even put "if he was a believer", but that could have been construed as "in the past". Thanks for the opportunity to clarify
                              Right. I didn't mean my post to be so much a reply to you, but to simply clarify my own position on the subject. This is a whole nother topic, though, that probably deserves it's own thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                Right. I didn't mean my post to be so much a reply to you, but to simply clarify my own position on the subject. This is a whole nother topic, though, that probably deserves it's own thread.
                                See here.
                                ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment