Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Why is Bruce an Exception?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
    Well, actually, this thread itself seems to be making a show of the whole thing. And I don't believe a claim as bold as "There was NO bravery involved" is at all tenable. Unless you think things like finding the energy to carry on day after day in the face of crippling distress, and undergoing an extensive operation that changes almost everything physical about you is done on a casual whim.
    That's an awful lot of words for having said nothing of substance, fm.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      That's an awful lot of words for having said nothing of substance, fm.
      So you think finding the energy to carry on day after day in the face of crippling distress, and undergoing an extensive operation that changes almost everything physical about you, is done on a casual whim?
      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

So you think finding the energy to carry on day after day in the face of crippling distress, and undergoing an extensive operation that changes almost everything physical about you, is done on a casual whim?
        You can be such a drama queen.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You can be such a drama queen.
          That's an awful lot of words for having said nothing of substance.

But really, would you mind explaining why you disagree with it?
          Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

That's an awful lot of words for having said nothing of substance.
            And copy cat! (and it was only 7 words )

Comment

So you think finding the energy to carry on day after day in the face of crippling distress,
              you forgot the agony of defeat and the heartbreak of psoriasis.

and undergoing an extensive operation
              An ELECTIVE surgery (or surgeries) for which, no doubt, copious amounts of sedatives and anesthesia were employed.

that changes almost everything physical about you,
              I'm fine the way I am, though I could afford to lose a few pounds.

is done on a casual whim?
              See, this is the kind of goofist nonsense that causes my somewhat flippant responses to your drama queen style posts. NOBODY said, or even implied that he did it "on a whim". Why do you write this crap? Why do you have to go to extremes in tying to make a point?

The dude was rich and famous - he has his admirers and his detractors. He was a world class athlete, for cryin' out loud, and you make him sound like some frail little wimpy child. He made a choice that involved DRASTIC measures, and, personally, I anticipate he still won't find peace, because he's looking in the wrong place.

Comment

you forgot the agony of defeat and the heartbreak of psoriasis.
                Given that 40% of people with gender dysphoria are suicidal, I think we can be reasonably certain that the distress experienced is indeed crippling and devastating. I believe you're grossly trivializing it.

An ELECTIVE surgery (or surgeries) for which, no doubt, copious amounts of sedatives and anesthesia were employed.
                The point was about the magnitude of the change, not merely the pain.

I'm fine the way I am, though I could afford to lose a few pounds.
                Makes you harder to kidnap, I suppose.

See, this is the kind of goofist nonsense that causes my somewhat flippant responses to your drama queen style posts. NOBODY said, or even implied that he did it "on a whim".
                Actually, that essentially is what you're implying when you refer to Jenner as "a man who got fake boobs and put on a dress." Why do you write this crap? Why do you have to go to extremes in trying to make a point? You make it sound like a trivial thing, as if everyone was applauding the act of merely wearing different clothes and whatnot one day--instead of attempting to give respect to a lifetime of painful internal struggle. Feel perfectly free to argue that they're overestimating it, but saying there was NO bravery involved definitely seems like an unwarranted conclusion.

Comment

Actually, that essentially is what you're implying when you refer to Jenner as "a man who got fake boobs and put on a dress."
                  No, it's just your drama queen interpretation.

Comment

...but saying there was NO bravery involved definitely seems like an unwarranted conclusion.
                    I never claimed that, beansprout.

Comment

In what way was it brave?

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                        In what way was it brave?
                        The same way a little kid lets mommy put a bandaid on a cut.

Comment

I'm tired of the suicide card being played. Yes, suicide rates are too high among people dealing with these issues. It does not logically follow at all that this means that the solution is just to affirm their feelings on gender.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Given that 40% of people with gender dysphoria are suicidal, I think we can be reasonably certain that the distress experienced is indeed crippling and devastating. I believe you're grossly trivializing it.
                            History reveals, as has been documented in at least one of these threads, that these gender imitation surgeries do not eliminate the distress. The cause of the distress is not physical, but pathological. People after these surgeries still commit suicide and sometimes go for surgeries to change back to where they were.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I am the one who claimed that.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                I'm tired of the suicide card being played. Yes, suicide rates are too high among people dealing with these issues. It does not logically follow at all that this means that the solution is just to affirm their feelings on gender.
                                I agree, but I wasn't advocating that certain commenters here "just affirm [the transgender community's] feelings on gender." I was pointing out that what the community faces is a gravely serious issue that demands serious discussion, but those commenters are grossly trivializing the people and issues. If they want to believe that some answer besides affirmation is the way to go, fine. But they don't have to dismiss certain individuals as merely "men who get fake boobs and put on a dress."

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                                History reveals, as has been documented in at least one of these threads, that these gender imitation surgeries do not eliminate the distress.
                                If you acknowledge that there indeed is distress, a type so severe that it frequently drives people to suicide, then why would you not consider someone who manages to fight off that distress and carry on for almost sixty years to at least have some level of courage?
                                Last edited by fm93; 07-18-2015, 06:20 PM.

Comment