Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

On Dealing With A Street Preacher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different approaches may work differently for different people (enough differents in that sentence?). As a non Christian I simply ignored that sort of street preachers. I ignored anyone who approached me with the gospel message. I sort of sneered at them internally. It was not until a man both shared and treated me like a friend, accepting my rejection of the message, and just acted as a friend. He helped me see that Christians were not all just hypocritical idiots. He opened my life to the first stages of being willing to submit to Christ. He did not really teach me much in the way of theology, he was just a friend and encourager. When I did finally come to understand what it was all about he was the first one I wanted to share with.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

One example I'm thinking of that shouldn't be controversial was when I was in college, a man from Michigan who would travel to a campus, hold up signs that said "All homos go to hell", then leave for another college the next day. In several years of ministry, he claimed to have earned 40 converts, and I doubt he was discipling any of them if he was moving on to a new town every day. With his needlessly incendiary approach, I have no doubt he had turned off far more than 40 people to Christianity needlessly.

There wasn't much of an intellectual approach either. Somebody asked him a gotcha question about where Cain got his wife, and he didn't seem able to answer.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        One example I'm thinking of that shouldn't be controversial was when I was in college, a man from Michigan who would travel to a campus, hold up signs that said "All homos go to hell", then leave for another college the next day. In several years of ministry, he claimed to have earned 40 converts, and I doubt he was discipling any of them if he was moving on to a new town every day. With his needlessly incendiary approach, I have no doubt he had turned off far more than 40 people to Christianity needlessly.

There wasn't much of an intellectual approach either. Somebody asked him a gotcha question about where Cain got his wife, and he didn't seem able to answer.
        And then what?

Comment

Originally posted by jpholding View Post
          I wouldn't guess either of us is too quick on the draw. I'd suspect if there were more pastors like you:

1) Nick and I would have a lot more teaching engagements.
          2) Joyce Meyer would be washing graffiti off public buildings for her living.
          I did amen this, but this really needs a more vocal one. I wish more pastors were like CP.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
            I did amen this, but this really needs a more vocal one. I wish more pastors were like CP.
            I wish more people were like CP.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              I wish more people were like CP.
              May the Lord have mercy on the planet!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Hasn't He already done that?
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Better by far than all the Tassman's and JimL's running around.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                    And then what?
                    This happened 8-9 years ago so I don't remember, but it was close to being a riot on campus. I remember discussing it with Rayado that day and he ended up nominating the guy for a screwball.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment