Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Is Heaven Silent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Heaven Silent?

What do you do when you knock and there is no answer?

The link can be found here.

The text is as follows:

Is it really true that the Heavens are silent? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Yesterday, I wrote on how <a href="http://deeperwaters.ddns.net/?p=8573" title="God is Good, And Sometimes That’s Terrible.">God is good and sometimes that's terrible</a>. Part of that is at the times when the Heavens seem silent. I'd like to start really looking at that topic in-depth as it affects a lot of people greatly. One aspect I wish to stress is that too much of our church has bought into a sort of concept of Christianese. I think one of the worst things we do is put on our spiritual hats and act like we have all the answers and that everything is always good in Jesus.

Let's be blunt people. Sometimes life is a nightmare.

For some strange reason, we act like this is a surprise.

Too many Christians have given this impression that everything in their life is just wonderful. They act like prayer is just always so simple to do and they're always so pious when they talk about how they do it. Let's not forget Bible study. This is certainly a major one. After all, when these people open up the Word of God, they get something new out of it every day. I'll go ahead and state it. There are many times I read the Bible and get absolutely nothing out. There are many times that prayer is a drudgery and a duty more than it is a joy. There are many times it is a pain to be a Christian.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I do not think I am alone in this thinking.

And you know one of the worst parts? It's that you cry out to God and you beg and plead for that help. Is He not to draw near to the broken-hearted? Is He not to care for His sheep? Is He not the loving Father who is looking for His own? This is what we expect.

And nothing seems to be said back.

Nothing.

Nothing.

Nothing.

What is going on?

I mean, doesn't God know the situation?

Doesn't He care about the situation?

Doesn't He know that this is the time He's supposed to show up and do something?

Nothing is coming.

What is wrong?

In any situation we have with another person, my first recommendation is that we always check ourselves. We check ourselves thoroughly. We ask if we have done anything that has cut us off from support. You see, if God is love, we must realize that sometimes we push ourselves away from love. If we are blocking ourselves, we will not be able to receive the love that is already coming from God. All of us must constantly watch to make sure we are open to receiving love. If we are not, then it could be that we have built ourselves a wall so strong God will not get through it. That's quite a wall, but it happens.

What are other possibilities?

Another one is that too often, we expect God to speak in a grand way. Many of us are familiar with the still small voice of Elijah. I am not talking about God speaking to our hearts. The passage is not about that. I am talking about the way God does work in our lives. Many times, it is through ordinary means. The signs of the covenant were quite often very ordinary. A rainbow was the sign of the covenant with Noah. When it comes to the new covenant, Jesus used ordinary bread and wine. Many times, God uses just ordinary people. I do not mean that they are prophets in the sense that God directly sends or gives a direct message. I mean that the love of Jesus is shown in the love of His people.

Fear can keep us away from God too. If we are fearful of other people, we can be fearful of God as well. Many times we can say we want God to love us, but it can also be scared to have that love. It is scary because that love changes us and it often requires we do things that are very painful. It could be required that we love and forgive our enemies, which is something that is extremely difficult to do.

Of course, there is also sin. We must really examine ourselves and ask if we have done anything seriously wrong for our sins can often cut us off. Have we truly made God our #1? Have we made Him our focus? Have we unknowingly sought after other gods? This is part of self-examination. Are we living the lives that we ought? Are we truly giving thanks and praising? A broken and contrite heart does not mean that we regret what has happened and want to be with God again. It means that we regret the sin greatly. We view the sin as our greatest enemy and we seek to do everything we can to eliminate it and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Then finally, there is the point that this can be normal. It could just be that God is allowing something to happen to us because He is shaping us to be the people we need to be for the future that awaits us. We are quite presumptuous when we think that we always know better. We do not. Part of faithfulness is realizing that you do not know better. You are often speaking from ignorance. Nay. You are always speaking from ignorance. You do not know the future.

As we continue, I'd like to look at more concerns about the silence of God and how to deal with it.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

I'd also add that much of this sort of trouble is encouraged by teachers like Osteen and Meyer who think God helps them find parking spaces. Because they are fabulously wealthy people, they seldom if ever suffer the way everyday Christians do. But they then teach as though their own supposed experiences are universal. (This would be an expansion on the point about the "grand way," of course.)

Comment

Originally posted by jpholding View Post
      I'd also add that much of this sort of trouble is encouraged by teachers like Osteen and Meyer who think God helps them find parking spaces. Because they are fabulously wealthy people, they seldom if ever suffer the way everyday Christians do. But they then teach as though their own supposed experiences are universal. (This would be an expansion on the point about the "grand way," of course.)
      Maybe a mugger should have killed their parents. Then they'd have a more realistic view of how the world works and the need to help others!
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        Maybe a mugger should have killed their parents. Then they'd have a more realistic view of how the world works and the need to help others!
        is this a reference to Batman
        "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
          is this a reference to Batman
          Yes. And any other story where the parents have to die tragically for their child to want to help others.

Comment

Okay 'cause I was going to make a joke about Batman but then I thought you might be referencing someone's personal experience... that said I just don't want to think about Joyce Meyer in body armor patrolling the night in a Joycemobile
            "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Okay 'cause I was going to make a joke about Batman but then I thought you might be referencing someone's personal experience... that said I just don't want to think about Joyce Meyer in body armor patrolling the night in a Joycemobile
              Sorry I beat you to it! The real world equivalent would be to get a job in emergency services. So, no worries about that.

Comment

There's a TektonTV vid in there somewhere....

Comment