Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

God is Good, And Sometimes That's Terrible.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think my inner voice is that verbose whenever a hot girl walks by.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
      When we sin we are essentially saying to God, whether we choose to acknowledge this or not: "I hate your rule", "I hate your ways because I would prefer this gratification over obedience to you", and "I'm choosing to sin now because it's quite possible you don't even exist and I don't want to devote my life to what very well could be a delusion". In other words, we all say "I hate you" to God. Obviously this is not to be celebrated nor encouraged, rather it's a pitiful reflection of our foolish hearts. We must strive to put that old nature to death, or it will put us to death - "either we are killing sin or sin is killing us".
      It isn't the same. One is willful and the other is not always willful (according to what Paul said in Romans 7). Otherwise, God wouldn't have wiped out the Israelites in the desert for blaming God for their situation (which equaled lack of faith). Nothing wrong with hating the situation; but hating God is not of faith. Jesus was fearful and distressed and hated the situation he was in when facing the cross, but he was content in the will of God. Can you imagine Jesus crying out that he hated God... I mean seriously, that's just bizarre Christian thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
        It isn't the same. One is willful and the other is not always willful (according to what Paul said in Romans 7). Otherwise, God wouldn't have wiped out the Israelites in the desert for blaming God for their situation (which equaled lack of faith). Nothing wrong with hating the situation; but hating God is not of faith. Jesus was fearful and distressed and hated the situation he was in when facing the cross, but he was content in the will of God. Can you imagine Jesus crying out that he hated God... I mean seriously, that's just bizarre Christian thinking.
        Try not eating or sleeping for a few days with a few chronic ailments to boot and I bet you'd be surprised at what comes out of your heart and mouth. If it's nothing but praises and hymns, then I guess you're a lot more spiritual than I am!
        Last edited by Scrawly; 04-21-2015, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          We suffer because we live in a fallen world with a spiritual adversary who seeks to destroy us, not because God seeks to mold us in Christ's image.
          Um, no. We suffer for the same reasons that dogs and giraffes suffer. It's worse for us, though, because we have more complicated and intense emotions.

Originally posted by Adrift View Post

To tell God that you hate him is petty, childish, and spiteful. Its spitting in God's face. I wouldn't dream of telling my earthly father I hate him, no matter how confused, and angry I was. How much more my heavenly Father?
          When David sinned, God said it was an expression of pure despisement and hate. So, yea, you do spit in God's face when you sin, according to your religion.

And shame on you for implying that's blasphemy when AP clearly was trying to make an opposite point, though sloppily. Even I can tell he didn't mean he hated God, and at least he has the courage and confidence in God to take some risks with language, which is a frustratingly limited vehicle to express complicated emotions, especially deep paradoxical religious ones.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
            Um, no. We suffer for the same reasons that dogs and giraffes suffer. It's worse for us, though, because we have more complicated and intense emotions.

When David sinned, God said it was an expression of pure despisement and hate. So, yea, you do spit in God's face when you sin, according to your religion.

And shame on you for implying that's blasphemy when AP clearly was trying to make an opposite point, though sloppily. Even I can tell he didn't mean he hated God, and at least he has the courage and confidence in God to take some risks with language, which is a frustratingly limited vehicle to express complicated emotions, especially deep paradoxical religious ones.
            Can you cite the bolded?

Comment

You got an amen from whag, Scrawly, you must be on the right track.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                Can you cite the bolded?
                2 Samuel 12:10
                10'Now therefore, the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised Me and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife.'

I submit that's a bit melodramatic, like a jilted wife who assumes her cheating husband despises her for engaging in a fling. The truth is that a husband could very well love his wife and not hate her in the case of an infidelity. The difference here is that God seems to be incensed at the gall of David doing all this in front of Him, flaunting it as if God isn't all seeing.

Comment

You take amens way too seriously, which sort of becomes you.

Comment

He's got potential..

Comment

I was being sarcastic. I thought it would be obvious.

Comment

Like the OP, and the person I was addressing, I'm a Christian and don't share your naturalist explanation for the source of suffering.

2 Samuel 12:10
                        10'Now therefore, the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised Me and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife.'

I submit that's a bit melodramatic, like a jilted wife who assumes her cheating husband despises her for engaging in a fling. The truth is that a husband could very well love his wife and not hate her in the case of an infidelity. The difference here is that God seems to be incensed at the gall of David doing all this in front of Him, flaunting it as if God isn't all seeing.
                        So, its your view that hating God is sinful, and is spitting in his face? Um, thanks for confirming my point then...I guess.

I can find a lot of ways to say I'm frustrated with God without telling him I hate him, and I don't think it takes any kind of courage to tell God you hate him. Its foolish maybe, but not courageous.

Comment