Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Another Complaint About Falsehood On The Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Complaint About Falsehood On The Internet

People! Please get your facts right! Just because you read that an Islamic scholar thinks the world is flat, it doesn't mean that he does.

http://deeperwaters.ddns.net/?p=8531

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    People! Please get your facts right! Just because you read that an Islamic scholar thinks the world is flat, it doesn't mean that he does.

http://deeperwaters.ddns.net/?p=8531
    Zakir Naik doesn't believe that, but there are certainly some fanciful beliefs that are said to come from Mohammed, or from his contemporaries. Of course, whether these traditions really do go back that far is questionable. However, they were held to by many early Islamic scholars. An list would be here, and and example here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      Zakir Naik doesn't believe that, but there are certainly some fanciful beliefs that are said to come from Mohammed, or from his contemporaries. Of course, whether these traditions really do go back that far is questionable. However, they were held to by many early Islamic scholars. An list would be here, and and example here.
      That's what I don't get. There are so many similar arguments to make that are true...
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        That's what I don't get. There are so many similar arguments to make that are true...
        People who make this kind of thing realize that people aren't too likely to go and look it up. In this case, it's involving someone who is a bit more in the spotlight now. This makes it look like such beliefs are held by someone considered to be a reputable Muslim scholar in today's day and age. Since it's not being checked out like it should be, the damage is being done. It hits harder for those who aren't checking it out, and unfortunately that's far more than it should be.

Oh, and I read Zakir's apologetic on a flat earth for the Quran. I don't find it too convincing. Especially the egg part. If what I've read is true, this goes back to a saying about how ostriches will bury an egg and flatten dirt around it to try and hide it from predators.

Comment

Also (and this probably is better for another thread)... to what extent does cosmological precision matter in Islam? I suppose it might be more important for Islam given the especially high standards placed upon its scriptures.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Also (and this probably is better for another thread)... to what extent does cosmological precision matter in Islam? I suppose it might be more important for Islam given the especially high standards placed upon its scriptures.
            Well, given the Quran is said to be directly given to Mohammed by Gabriel, I'd say pretty high. Oh, and it does depend on which school of Islamic thought you are dealing with. Although, with this issue I've never seen any who didn't take it very seriously.

Yeah, probably better for another thread though. Other than going through my old sources, and going off my own memory(which can be rather hazardous ) I probably can't contribute too much. That first link I gave has some really good articles. They also have some stuff where they directly rebut articles written by certain more popular* Muslim apologists.

*This doesn't mean scholarly or credentialed, but they deal with them too.

Comment

AP, did you mean "place" instead of "play"?
              The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

You mean everything I read on the internets isn't true?
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  You mean everything I read on the internets isn't true?
                  Everything you read on the internet is false, including this statement.

Comment

A really good Bible scholar (Robert Gagnon) just posted an article on Facebookfrom a satire/fake news site claiming Hillary Clinton had an affair with Yoko Ono in the 1970s. I think Gagnon is a man of integrity and know he wouldn't have done it on purpose, but if even prominent Christians aren't checking their sources... we have a serious problem.

(I think focusing on people's alleged affairs in the 1970s undermines Christians' arguments that Josh Duggar should be forgiven, too.)

Comment

Update: The post was deleted, but I think the responsible thing to do (especially if one has a prominent platform) is to subsequently acknowledge that an error was made, especially because several people had re-posted the article.

Comment

F4.large.jpg

Comment