Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Tips for Apologetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for Apologetics

If you want to know the field well and succeed, what are some tips I recommend to follow? Read and see. http://deeperwaters.ddns.net/?p=8513

Good article, Nick.

I would add, however, BE APPROACHABLE. And KNOW some LOST people! What good is all the knowledge and skill and experience if there's nobody "asking of the hope within you"?

But I look at this not from a "debate" viewpoint, but from a "winning souls" and "training men" standpoint. (Not saying you don't - I always enjoy your writing and viewpoints)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Tip #1 - Don't use Crocoducks in your apologetics.

Comment

Or bananas.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Or conspiracies about whether or not you have to pay the IRS which ends up with you going to jail.
          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Nor should one proclaim "Galileo was wrong!" as a part of their apologetics.
            "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
            --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
              Nor should one proclaim "Galileo was wrong!" as a part of their apologetics.
              But at the same time the whole Galileo affair is not what it is often made out to be. It was not so much Church vs Science as Galileo's arrogance clashing with the Pope's pride. (yes, the Pope probably over reacted to being called a simpleton but there you have it)

Michael Flinn has a very good detailed breakdown of the whole incident starting here:
              http://tofspot.blogspot.com/2013/08/...smackdown.html (which is down for me at the moment for some reason, here is the google cache)
              http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...B5Tx8gWZlYGQDw

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                But at the same time the whole Galileo affair is not what it is often made out to be. It was not so much Church vs Science as Galileo's arrogance clashing with the Pope's pride. (yes, the Pope probably over reacted to being called a simpleton but there you have it)

Michael Flinn has a very good detailed breakdown of the whole incident starting here:
                http://tofspot.blogspot.com/2013/08/...smackdown.html (which is down for me at the moment for some reason, here is the google cache)
                http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...B5Tx8gWZlYGQDw
                Galileo was also permitted to continue promoting it as long as he referred to it as a theory (this was before science defined the word theory in a different manner that as commonly used). He insisted on pushing it and the RCC over reacted. Of course almost all of the Protestant leaders denounced heliocentrism as well.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And now, he is primarily remembered for his role in Bohemian Rhapsody.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Galileo was also permitted to continue promoting it as long as he referred to it as a theory (this was before science defined the word theory in a different manner that as commonly used). He insisted on pushing it and the RCC over reacted. Of course almost all of the Protestant leaders denounced heliocentrism as well.
                    The key points I think were this:
                    • he kept on pushing it, and painted his sympathisers as fools for not immediately agreeing with him
                    • At the time it was not yet proven fact, and the majority of the scientific establishment of the day thought it was wrong (as they followed the models based on the Ptolemaic system)
                    • Copernicus' model (and Galileo's one) was infact wrong (sorry BP), as it used circular orbits and way more epicycles than some of the geo-centric models with way more complex maths than most of the geo-centric models and than the helio-centric model with elliptical orbits.
                    • Keppler was the first one who actually got the models right. (and Galileo seems to have ignored his stuff, despite being sent a copy, because it wasn't Galileo's or something like that).
                    • The pope did completely over-react to being calling a simpleton....but that is somewhat understandable

-Ben Witherington III

Comment