Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

We're Not All Happy. They're Not All Miserable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're Not All Happy. They're Not All Miserable.

Recently, a meme I saw depicted the Christians as people who are happy and joyful and the atheists as people who are miserable and into self-mutilation. It takes a lot to get me angry, but this did, and I have written a response.

http://deeperwaters.ddns.net/?p=8491

What do you mean, "Christians who wrestle with cutting . . . "?
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Do you know what cutting is?

Comment

There are people who, because of their depression, or other mental illness, only get relief by cutting themselves with sharp objects. Very dangerous for obvious reasons. It's not because of a surface emotional reason ("dang, they're out of the ice cream I like") it's because of real disease. That's why it's bad to say it never happens to Christians --- mental illness happens to every group, just like diabetes, cancer, or birth defects.
        "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

I have a hard time just sticking my finger to do a glucose test.

Comment

Yeah, I've never been tempted by cutting. I prefer the old fashion stuff, binge eating and yelling at the sky :)
            "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
              Yeah, I've never been tempted by cutting. I prefer the old fashion stuff, binge eating and yelling at the sky :)
              Be a real man and punch holes in the wall till you break your fist (or head)!

Comment

Running in circles on a wheel and pooping all over a cage sounds great.
                Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Cutting can often run contrary to your healthy personality in more ways than one. I was, and am still to a degree, squeamish about the idea of giving blood or getting a blood test, yet I did spend some time cutting, although I only ever did shallow cuts before I got help.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                  "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                  Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

I have often been disturbed by the false picture painted of what Christians are "all" like. We are tempted, we sin, we suffer. There seems to be a failure to recognize the difference between JOY and HAPPINESS.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Be a real man and punch holes in the wall till you break your fist (or head)!
                      Is this where I'm supposed to make a reference to Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and tell you that real men pierce the heavens with their drill?

Comment

Blowing things up.

Lots of things.

Lots and lots of things.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                          Is this where I'm supposed to make a reference to Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and tell you that real men pierce the heavens with their drill?
                          It truly frightens me that I understood exactly what you meant

"Who in the hell do you think I am?"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I saw the pic Nick is referencing. Some points to make:

1. I'm closer to the atheist in the picture than the Christians (not looks wise, just general status in life) and I thought it was funny. I even like Nightwish.
                            1. I think Nick got the point of it wrong. It's not that the average atheist is unhappy and the average Christian is happy, it's that the average atheist is weird and abnormal (sometimes highly so) and the average Christian isn't. I think that's mostly true. As a highly abnormal individual I don't have a problem with people taking a shot at atheists for that and I don't feel like whoever made it shotgunned through me to get to them.
                            1. It's a meme, not a dissertation. It's meant to deliver a simple message with a picture and a few words (and in this case, a pot shot), not a detailed analysis of the situation.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                              I saw the pic Nick is referencing. Some points to make:

1. I'm closer to the atheist in the picture than the Christians (not looks wise, just general status in life) and I thought it was funny. I even like Nightwish.
                              1. I think Nick got the point of it wrong. It's not that the average atheist is unhappy and the average Christian is happy, it's that the average atheist is weird and abnormal (sometimes highly so) and the average Christian isn't. I think that's mostly true. As a highly abnormal individual I don't have a problem with people taking a shot at atheists for that and I don't feel like whoever made it shotgunned through me to get to them.
                              1. It's a meme, not a dissertation. It's meant to deliver a simple message with a picture and a few words (and in this case, a pot shot), not a detailed analysis of the situation.
                              Nightwish is alright. A bit...weak, though.
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment