Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

The Embarrassment of Christian Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Embarrassment of Christian Media

Yes. They're actually making a movie about this.... http://deeperwaters.ddns.net/?p=8487

They made a movie out of the atheist professor chain mail, what did you expect?
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I haven't heard of that.

Comment

The one with Hercules in it.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I actually thought God's Not Dead was a decent start. At least it's getting into apologetics some, though the ending was way too cheesy.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
            I actually thought God's Not Dead was a decent start. At least it's getting into apologetics some, though the ending was way too cheesy.
            Yeah, over all it was pretty good, but there were a number of cheesy moments besides the ending.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Yeah, over all it was pretty good, but there were a number of cheesy moments besides the ending.
              Oh, I'm going to have to disagree with that... overall, I think it was pretty cheesy and bordering on insulting to actual apologetics(something I don't claim to be an expert on either, but enough to recognize amateurs)... with perhaps a few good moments. But whenever the debate or arguments verged on becoming too interesting or thoughtful, the movie tended to cut away to another scene of cliched, stereotypical, and frankly, boring characters. The secular professors(not just the "evil atheist") were unbelievably horrible and fit every trope of "elitist liberal" with very little in the way of realism. I don't consider myself a liberal, but most people are not two-dimensional caricatures, and generally, everyone in that movie other than the main character(and the priests) were ridiculously unpleasant. Even the "Christian girlfriend" was portrayed very unsympathetically, for all her unrealistic concerns about failing this one, freshman-level course having the potential to ruin the hero's academic life forever... really?

It had potential, it just squandered it at every opportunity and came across to me as very cheap and lazy writing. The ending... well, enough said about that. I just really didn't care for it at all

Comment

I have heard there's one coming out based on historical apologetics. I do prefer that to scientific apologetics.

Comment

Originally posted by LeaC View Post
                  most people are not two-dimensional caricatures
                  Have you met JimL or Jorge yet?

Comment

I understand Kirk Cameron's Christmas movie was even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by jpholding View Post
                      I understand Kirk Cameron's Christmas movie was even worse.
                      No kidding. Christians are getting their heads sliced off in the Middle East, and we want to claim persecution over perceived slights over Christmas terminology?
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I'll be honest, though, Cameron lost all apologetic credibility with me along ago because I understand he was part of the presentation of the banana video.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          I'll be honest, though, Cameron lost all apologetic credibility with me along ago because I understand he was part of the presentation of the banana video.
                          And the crocoduck silliness

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A long time ago I had seen a video he was in that made some really good points*. He also did so in a way that was interesting. Looks like wasted potential to me.

*It was mostly stuff about how sincerity of belief doesn't equal correctness of beliefs. It's been a long time, so there might have been some dumb stuff in there I either wouldn't have realized, or have forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              And the crocoduck silliness

I was aware of the stupidity of the banana argument, but I didn't know about this crocoduck thing... care to explain?
                              אָמַר לוֹ יֵשׁוּעַ: אֲנִי הַדֶּרֶךְ וְהָאֱמֶת וְהַחַיִּים. אֵין אִישׁ בָּא אֶל הָאָב אֶלָּא דַּרְכִּי
                              "Yeshua said, 'I AM the Way — and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except through me'" - Yochanan 14:6
                              כֻּלָּ֨נוּ֙ כַּצֹּ֣אן תָּעִ֔ינוּ אִ֥ישׁ לְדַרְכֹּ֖ו פָּנִ֑ינוּ וַֽיהוָה֙ הִפְגִּ֣יעַ בֹּ֔ו אֵ֖ת עֲוֹ֥ן כֻּלָּֽנוּ
                              "We all, like sheep, went astray; we turned, each one, to his own way; yet HASHEM laid on him the guilt of all of us" - Yesha'yahu 53:6

Comment