Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

A Serrated Edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Serrated Edge

Doug Wilson's book is an excellent defense of riposte and something those of us around here should familiarize ourselves with. Hopefully other evangelicals will catch on.

http://deeperwaters.wordpress.com/20...serrated-edge/

Although there's a difference between calling Benny Hinn a snake vs. a preterist calling a futurist a dummy or vice versa when discussing issues like who the Beast of Revelation is. All too often defense of riposte is like defense of putting a loaded gun into a child's hands, some Christians don't know how and when to use it, and some do knowingly use it as an excuse to be abusive with no real concern of protecting the sheep from the wolves, but rather in feeding their own egos. I can say this because I used to do it often and sometimes approach it if I don't catch myself, and I know I'm not the only Christian on earth who has.

So it's a double-edged sword that should either be used responsibly for the right reasons, or not at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
      Although there's a difference between calling Benny Hinn a snake vs. a preterist calling a futurist a dummy or vice versa when discussing issues like who the Beast of Revelation is. All too often defense of riposte is like defense of putting a loaded gun into a child's hands, some Christians don't know how and when to use it, and some do knowingly use it as an excuse to be abusive with no real concern of protecting the sheep from the wolves, but rather in feeding their own egos. I can say this because I used to do it often and sometimes approach it if I don't catch myself, and I know I'm not the only Christian on earth who has.

So it's a double-edged sword that should either be used responsibly for the right reasons, or not at all.
      Misuse of something shouldn't really play into the correct use of something. Otherwise pretty much everything out there would need to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        Misuse of something shouldn't really play into the correct use of something. Otherwise pretty much everything out there would need to go.
        Part of defending something is teaching people how to use it correctly. For example if we defend the right to bear arms, it's also our responsibility to promote gun safety training, background checks, etc. If we just start tossing guns out for everyone saying they are a good thing and leaving it at that, it's going to come back to bite us.

That's why some Christians go to great lengths in defending riposte, its abuse creates a backlash. As I implied, most people I know agree that many TV preachers are snakes and corrupt, and don't mind saying so. But because riposte is so often used in the wrong way for the wrong reasons, it leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many, and in that way, shoots itself in the foot.

Edit/add: it simply comes down to policing ourselves, both in keeping out the wolves, and in calling out fellows on abuse of riposte.
        Last edited by JohnnyP; 01-28-2014, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Part of defending something is teaching people how to use it correctly. For example if we defend the right to bear arms, it's also our responsibility to promote gun safety training, background checks, etc. If we just start tossing guns out for everyone saying they are a good thing and leaving it at that, it's going to come back to bite us.

That's why some Christians go to great lengths in defending riposte, its abuse creates a backlash. As I implied, most people I know agree that many TV preachers are snakes and corrupt, and don't mind saying so. But because riposte is so often used in the wrong way for the wrong reasons, it leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many, and in that way, shoots itself in the foot.

Edit/add: it simply comes down to policing ourselves, both in keeping out the wolves, and in calling out fellows on abuse of riposte.
          Agreed. However, there are many who think that you must be sickeningly sweet at all times to all people, and the very idea of riposte is immediately attacked. There were some pretty good examples of this on TWeb before the crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            Agreed. However, there are many who think that you must be sickeningly sweet at all times to all people, and the very idea of riposte is immediately attacked. There were some pretty good examples of this on TWeb before the crash.
            True too, and I also think a lot of cloying behavior isn't so sincere either.

Comment

True too, and I also think a lot of cloying behavior isn't so sincere either.

In those cases it's usually accompanied by a lot of passive aggressiveness, which IMO is far more irritating than being called nearly any name you can think of. If someone doesn't like me, or thinks I'm being an idiot, I would rather they just come out and say it. Passive aggressiveness is far more insulting from my perspective.

Comment

Agree, I saw that a lot on the old Tweb LDS forum...

Comment

Not a man I would ever actively praise. He both considered the slavery of the south a positive thing, and he talked about how women should submit to their husbands in the same terms, and argued it was impossible for a married woman to be sexually abused.

Why he keeps being popular amongst evangelicals is a wonder, or on the other hand, maybe its not.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                    Not a man I would ever actively praise. He both considered the slavery of the south a positive thing, and he talked about how women should submit to their husbands in the same terms, and argued it was impossible for a married woman to be sexually abused.

Why he keeps being popular amongst evangelicals is a wonder, or on the other hand, maybe its not.
                    There was a controversy on a podcast I'm involved with over whether to include Wilson as a guest. I was against having him on, but I was overruled, possibly because we didn't have him on as a proponent of our viewpoint.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I'm not familiar with Doug Wilson, but what do you mean by the bolded?
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        I'm not familiar with Doug Wilson, but what do you mean by the bolded?
                        I echo this question. It's no question that American evangelicals tend to be politically conservative, but the idea that most evangelicals secretly support slavery is ludicrous.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

the idea that most evangelicals secretly support slavery is ludicrous.
                          I never said that.

But there's a lot of fantasy history about a noble confederacy, that slavery was somehow good for the blacks and there's a lot of evangelical writers who try to paint marriage as co-equal, but in reality talk about radical submissiveness of the wife to the husband. To the point where rape of a wife is impossible, and spousal abuse, even violent abuse, is no grounds for seperation or divorce.

Wilson talks about marriage the same way he talks about black slaves under whites.

I'm just saying that if evangelicals have gotten over their problems with how they view women, why is Doug Wilson still given a seat?

And I'm out before I get sucked back into this forum.

Comment

I'm just saying that if evangelicals have gotten over their problems with how they view women, why is Doug Wilson still given a seat?

And I'm out before I get sucked back into this forum.
                            The vast majority of evangelicals both have never heard of Doug Wilson (most people don't hang out in the Reformed blogosphere where he's prominent) and wouldn't support either of those statements.

Comment

A link to leave here before someone comes in with the obligatory demand for evidence. Ironically he treats all women with sarcasm and mockery (let's call it riposte), like what this book is about, any woman who criticises him he immediately labels a feminist and mocks.

https://adaughterofthereformation.wo...r-wilson-fans/

Comment