Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Nick Mentioned on Dr. Craig's Podcast RE: Disagreement with Dr. Walton on Creation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick Mentioned on Dr. Craig's Podcast RE: Disagreement with Dr. Walton on Creation

So, just catching up on my Reasonable Faith podcasts at the gym, and I was surprised to hear Nick's name mentioned in the most recent episode (I think it came out Sunday). Apparently Dr. Craig critiqued (Old Testament professor) Dr. Walton's Cosmic Temple Inauguration theory in a recent Defender's class (Defender's is sort of like an advanced Sunday School class that Dr. Craig does that covers core Christian doctrine and theology).

Nick, I guess, then did an interview with Dr. Walton on his audio blog, and they discussed Dr. Craig's critique.

So in the latest Reasonable Faith podcast, Kevin Harris, and Dr. Craig took some time out to clarify some points about the critique that he didn't think Dr. Walton understood.

I haven't listened to the Defender's podcast, or Nick's interview yet (going to do so after posting this), but I know (and in part, agree with) Dr. Walton's Cosmic Temple theory, and it sounds like there's just a lot of basic miscommunication going on between the both of them.

Has this issue between the scholars already been discussed on this forum? I did a quick search, and didn't see anything.

Oh, here are the relevant links:

Dr. Craig's Defender's Podcast: I believe the critique starts on episode 7.

Nick's Audio Blog Interview

The Latest Reasonable Faith Podcast

Comment

One of many more such mentions to come, I'm sure. Nick already has well-deserved credibility and I expect as he grows his writing collection, he'll eventually also find himself referenced by authors like Strobel, much as Tekton has been.

Comment

I was notified of this and it was an honor, especially to be mentioned as a friend.

I really don't think Craig gave his opinion correctly. Walton and I both thought the same thing was being said as did other people. I also think Craig is off to say that Walton's interpretation is just absurd. I find it to be the most sensible one I have found.

And I certainly hope JPH's prediction comes true.

Comment

I don't think Craig misunderstood what Walton meant by function. At one point in the Defenders course he sorta clarified that what he believed Walton meant by function was something like God given purpose, which I took to mean in a more spiritual or symbolic way rather than a utilitarian way. Craig, also clarified that he did not mean to say that people and animals just sat around until given their function in his Reasonable Faith podcast. Maybe it was because I was already familiar with Craig's clarification in the Reasonable Faith podcast that i didn't see him saying anything strange in the Defenders course.

I also don't think Craig was reading Aristotelian views into scripture or necessarily into Walton's interpretation of scripture. I think the only reason Craig used Aristotelian language for "function" is because he found it practical to do so. Its useful in making differentiation between types of function regardless of where it came from, especially when Walton himself uses the word function, and yet that word is not found in the narrative. But as you pointed out, being a philosopher, Craig is going to think in philosophical terms.

I agree that Craig goes too far by calling Walton's interpretation absurd, but honestly, I think that Craig might have been fine with Dr. Walton's view if it weren't for the fact that Dr. Walton doesn't believe that Gen. 1:1 signifies any creative act. I think Craig would have been fine if Walton said that the rest of the narrative was not a creative act, but by discluding 1:1 from the equation, you're left with no scriptural reason to justify creatio ex nihilo (at least in this passage). And of course, the concept of creatio ex nihilo is the lynchpin to Craig's Kalam Cosmological argument. So I think he was miffed for that reason.

People are probably sick of hearing me talk about it, but I think that OT Professor John Sailhamer's Historical Creationism theory could bridge the gap between Craig and Walton. As I understand Sailhamer's theory, he believes the Genesis narrative is both a creative function, and also a symbolic/spiritual function. Gen 1:1 is about the physical creation of the universe and everything in it (heaven and earth being a merism for the cosmos) at an indeterminant period, and that 2 onwards is primarily about God's preparation of the promised land (not the whole earth) for his covenant people. If I recall correctly, he even mentions Walton's cosmic temple view in his book Genesis Unbound. I'll have to look it up later to see if I'm remembering that correctly though.
          Last edited by Adrift; 12-16-2014, 11:09 AM.

Comment