Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

End Times Hopscotch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End Times Hopscotch

Remember the rule for dealing with futurist interpretation. The text is always to be read in a literal sense....except for when we don't want it to be and then it's not literal....

Anything to save the theory.

This is a lesson in why context is important.

http://deeperwaters.wordpress.com/20...mes-hopscotch/

What is going on in Joel? Well, we’re not told. Joel is a difficult book to date. Some date it to the 6th century. Some date it to the 9th. It does describe present realities going on and an army that God will defend His people from. -End Times Hopscotch
    Are you saying sun into darkness, moon into blood, and day of the LORD discussed in Joel only take place in the days of Joel, or hundreds of years BC?

Comment

Yes, but it's not in a literal sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
        Yes, but it's not in a literal sense.
        If events in Joel only took place in days of Joel or hundreds of years BC, what do we do with this?

Acts 2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

Acts 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Acts 2:18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

Acts 2:19 And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:

Acts 2:20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:

Comment

We celebrate that God fulfilled His Word. Just because something's been fulfilled doesn't mean there must be another future fulfillment just so the text can have some special meaning for us.

Comment

We celebrate that God fulfilled His Word. Just because something's been fulfilled doesn't mean there must be another future fulfillment just so the text can have some special meaning for us.
            God fulfilled His Word about this when, in the days of Joel/100s of years BC as your reply initially indicated ("Yes, but it's not in a literal sense"), or in the 1st century as Acts indicates?

Where your article describes "present realities going on" it sounds like you restrict (edit: fulfillment of) the prophecy to days of Joel.

Edit/add: It may be clearer if you mention its application to what is said in Acts.
            Last edited by JohnnyP; 01-27-2014, 03:36 PM.

Comment

You realize you're talking about two different parts? The army was past, but I see Joel 2 having a fulfillment in Acts.

Comment

You realize you're talking about two different parts? The army was past, but I see Joel 2 having a fulfillment in Acts.
                Thanks, that's what my initial question was trying to ascertain, do you see future fulfillment beyond "present realities going on" in the days of Joel of sun into darkness, moon into blood, and day of the LORD. Wasn't clear since the article doesn't mention those events in relation to Acts.

Edit/add: I think since some futurists see multiple fulfillments of those types of things in the past, they feel they may happen again in the future as they pertain to Revelation.
                Last edited by JohnnyP; 01-27-2014, 04:11 PM.

Comment

No. I see no present fulfillment. I didn't mention the other passage because it wasn't within the whole context that I saw.

Comment

No. I see no present fulfillment. I didn't mention the other passage because it wasn't within the whole context that I saw.
                    "Present realities going on" as you stated, meaning, in the days of Joel.

Have you ever considered that trumpets, days, sun, moon, etc. of Joel 2:1/Joel 2:10 and Joel 2:15/Joel 2:31 are the same events? Where Joel 2:1-11 focuses on terror of the army, Joel 2:12 initiates a recap (even now return to Me), and Joel 2:13-32 focuses on comfort and faith of the righteous in those days.

Comment