Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Why I Reject a Natural/Supernatural Distinction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Ok. It seems then that your view on the theory of a natural/supernatural demarcation revolves around the focal point of thoughts regarding 'natural law.' So the problem of calling something a "natural law" is that we artificially divide existence (e.g. existence of things in the creational realm) based on the distinction between normal observational phenomena and unseen realities. I would then extrapolate that the artificial divide then merely has made 'science' comfortable to those who wish to exclude the unseen realities.

On a different issue of the idea of natural law...
    If I follow you, at a surface level, we can say there are observable patterns but these are incorrectly called 'natural' in the colloquial sense. This colloquial sense would be that 'nature' has an independent existence which supersedes (e.g. like an absolute law) all other options (whereas 'nature' in its root came from the concept of being born, e.g. 'created'). The improper use of 'nature' is connected with the definition from m-w.com "a creative and controlling force in the universe," as if such force were in and of itself, thus independent of God.
    I wonder what you think of methodical naturalism. Some people do science on that basis even though they say that they believe in God and the point that we ourselves are supernatural in a way, as I showed in a recent post.
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
      I wonder what you think of methodical naturalism. Some people do science on that basis even though they say that they believe in God and the point that we ourselves are supernatural in a way, as I showed in a recent post.
      Methodical naturalism is science. You can't fill a gap in your theory by saying, "And here, a miracle occurred." There's no way to test or detect that.
      O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

My view at this point isn't so much of nature as it is of natures. Hume said dropping a rock 1,000 times is not proof that the 1001st time it will fall. I say ridiculous. If you know what a rock is, you know that it will fall.

As for what God is made of with regard to what Kelp said, God is not made of something as if He has parts. I hold to divine simplicity.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
          Methodical naturalism is science. You can't fill a gap in your theory by saying, "And here, a miracle occurred." There's no way to test or detect that.
          Exactly right! And there is no other form of existence than the natural universe that we know of.

As for AP’s non-definition of God as “divine simplicity”, this is meaningless drivel. God is either a part of this universe, which would make him a natural entity OR He is not a part of the natural universe which would make him non-natural – or, as usually designated: “supernatural”.

If the latter, one is faced with the question: how can an immaterial entity interact with the material universe? What is the point of contact or nexus?
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            Exactly right! And there is no other form of existence than the natural universe that we know of.

As for AP’s non-definition of God as “divine simplicity”, this is meaningless drivel. God is either a part of this universe, which would make him a natural entity OR He is not a part of the natural universe which would make him non-natural – or, as usually designated: “supernatural”.

If the latter, one is faced with the question: how can an immaterial entity interact with the material universe? What is the point of contact or nexus?
            I don't know how to answer the nexus question, but it seems to me that simplicity is a concept supported by science. Elements, atoms, protons, quarks...it seems like eventually you have to get down to an indivisible substance (and no, I'm not arguing for any kind of irreducible complexity).
            Last edited by Kelp(p); 11-13-2014, 10:12 PM.
            O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
              My view at this point isn't so much of nature as it is of natures. Hume said dropping a rock 1,000 times is not proof that the 1001st time it will fall. I say ridiculous. If you know what a rock is, you know that it will fall.

As for what God is made of with regard to what Kelp said, God is not made of something as if He has parts. I hold to divine simplicity.
              Does He have to have parts in order to be made of something? How about an infinite amount of uniform energy?
              Last edited by Kelp(p); 11-13-2014, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Methodical naturalism is science.
                Scientific research assumes methodological naturalism.

You can't fill a gap in your theory by saying, "And here, a miracle occurred." There's no way to test or detect that.
                And here, the first cell came into being.

Comment

I don't know how to answer the nexus question,
                  Indeed! So the question remains: “how can an immaterial entity, such as a deity, interact with the material universe? What is the point of contact or nexus?”

but it seems to me that simplicity is a concept supported by science. Elements, atoms, protons, quarks...it seems like eventually you have to get down to an indivisible substance (and no, I'm not arguing for any kind of irreducible complexity).
                  “Elements, atoms, protons and quarks” etc are all components of the material universe. This has no bearing upon AP’s definition of the non-material God as "divine simplicity”.
                  Last edited by Tassman; 11-14-2014, 03:09 AM.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    ... As for AP’s non-definition of God as “divine simplicity”, this is meaningless drivel. God is either a part of this universe, which would make him a natural entity OR He is not a part of the natural universe which would make him non-natural – or, as usually designated: “supernatural”. ...
                    Perhaps the primary meaning of divine simplicity, for those to hold divine simplicity, for example, Thomas Aquinas, is that God cannot be defined, we are unable to analyze his nature into genus and species. The 'non-definition' is worn as a badge of courage by those who hold to some type of apophatic theology. It may not be meaningful to you, but it is very meaningful to others. To say that God is either part of the natural universe or not part of the natural universe is merely to say that we can indeed define God or the extent and breadth of the natural universe. I don't think we can define or delimit either. But if you can, great!
                    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                      I wasn't discussing my own view specifically but rather seeking to understand Apologia's point.

On a review of the term 'methodological naturalism' (and some posts just now) I realized that 'science' doesn't particularly operate (in every scientist's mind) under the constraints of a single philosophical understanding. But indeed, to a large extent, science does work in a general paradigm of creating theory and experimentation. My quick study looked at an article on methodological neutralism -- which focused on a wider range of outcomes than methodological naturalism, essentially the idea of following the evidence rather than constraining results to a naturalistic framework (I speak in conventional terms of 'nature' rather than adding Apologia's proposal). The term 'nature', however, has become perceived as its own independent force which is an assumption without basis.
                      In the alternative to the term 'natural laws', the term 'patterned behavior' would possibly be better. 'Nature' and 'natural' have taken on meaning which I suppose to be a distortion from earlier meaning, that is of nature as part of creation -- "to be born" as its root.

I suppose we could keep 'law' within the description. The idea of 'law' is good enough as long as we hold to the definition such as at m-w.com
                      " a statement of order or relation holding for certain phenomena that so far as is known is invariable under the given conditions "
                      But we may be giving too much weight to the idea that 'law' forces everything in an inviolable fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                        Perhaps the primary meaning of divine simplicity, for those to hold divine simplicity, for example, Thomas Aquinas, is that God cannot be defined, we are unable to analyze his nature into genus and species. The 'non-definition' is worn as a badge of courage by those who hold to some type of apophatic theology.
                        This is off topic, but do you believe that God has any well defined properties?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          This is off topic, but do you believe that God has any well defined properties?
                          Not sure, but I suspect that if they are too well defined then they are no longer properties of God himself. I do believe we can certainly speak of God by analogy, metaphor and parable.

Comment

Does He have to have parts in order to be made of something? How about an infinite amount of uniform energy?
                            Any combination goes against divine simplicity. Angels are simple in that they are essence + existence, but they are not absolutely simple like God is. God is existence = essence.

btw, just so you all know, I put Tassy on ignore long ago. I have far better usages of my time.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                              Not sure, but I suspect that if they are too well defined then they are no longer properties of God himself. I do believe we can certainly speak of God by analogy, metaphor and parable.
                              Are there any positive theological statements we can make about God? Any true statements we can make about God?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                Are there any positive theological statements we can make about God? Any true statements we can make about God?
                                Yes, of course, as long as we understand that we are speaking analogically (if we accept Thomistic theological terminology) or otherwise acknowledge the limitations of human language and knowledge and the transcendence of God. For example, we might say that God exists or that God is good, but do we really think that we can fully comprehend God's goodness or the nature of his existence?

Comment