Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

The Tragedy of Suicide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tragedy of Suicide

Are we celebrating suicide? http://deeperwaters.wordpress.com/20...dy-of-suicide/

A good message, Nicky, thank you.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

A very good article Nick.

As many of you know about 2 months back we had my mother-in-law attempt suicide (was more of a attention/help me type) and we had my eldest brother's wife of 3 months actually commit suicide (it was the other type of attempt....she took so many pills that even if an ambulance had been on scene as she took them they would not have got her to the hospital in time), so this subject is pretty raw for me.

But I saw a recent post (I van't remember the source) talking about the fact that people used to stand bravely in the face of a terminal disease and say "you aren't getting me without a fight" (my eldest brother's first wife did that with cancer, she fought the bastard for 4 long years). Now we have this fatalism of "well if I'm gonna die it will be on my terms" (Maynard, Terry Pratchett has expressed the same and I read an article on Stuff.co.nz today about someone else declaring the same)

We seem to have lost this ideal that life is precious, and that it is worth fighting for even if it may be a loosing battle.

Source: Dylan Thomas

Do not go gentle into that good night

Do not go gentle into that good night,
      Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
      Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
      Because their words had forked no lightning they
      Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
      Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
      And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
      Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
      Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

© Copyright Original Source

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I did feel for Brittany Maynard and I know it's easy for me here in my position to tell her don't do it. At the same time, God's rules are God's rules, and my understanding is there are sufficient painkillers available to prevent the stereotypical horrifically painful death.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          ...there are sufficient painkillers available to prevent the stereotypical horrifically painful death.
          This is incorrect, unfortunately. I won't go into much detail, but I helped take care of my uncle when he had cancer, and despite all the pain meds, muscle relaxers, etc., his death involved horrific amounts of pain; especially the last couple of weeks of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
            This is incorrect, unfortunately. I won't go into much detail, but I helped take care of my uncle when he had cancer, and despite all the pain meds, muscle relaxers, etc., his death involved horrific amounts of pain; especially the last couple of weeks of his life.
            If the medicines are being administered without fear of addiction only comfort, they should be sufficient. I have administered hospice medication typically including morphine or some type of morphine analog, a strong concentrate benzodiazepene liquid, fentanyl patches, some had bupivicaine as well, an antipsychotic to be used as a muscle relaxant, typically in high dose concentrates for patients with cancer and usually one other drug for fever or pain (typically an anti inflammatory). The point is administration until pain relief or comfort and no fear of addiction if hospice is working correctly. Typically they will do more until sufficient relief is achieved and if not the physician and nurses are just plain crappy.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'm going to add, neuroglioblastomas are rare and AWFUL! I've known two people to die of them. but neither passed in pain.
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                I'm going to add, neuroglioblastomas are rare and AWFUL! I've known two people to die of them. but neither passed in pain.
                Yes, my mother died from GBM. I helped care for her, and she did not require much for pain.

My mother put up a good fight until the end. That's why I have a hard time thinking well of someone who just kills themselves.

Comment