Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Norman Geisler: Still Being A Bully

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norman Geisler: Still Being A Bully

Just so anyone knows the latest, Mike Licona put this up recently. http://www.risenjesus.com/speaking-e...moved-web-site

He sounds desperate.

Is there anyone he hasn't alienated yet?

Then again, if he is spreading lies to harm Mike's business and reputation, that is slander and could probably be a basis for a lawsuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      He sounds desperate.

Is there anyone he hasn't alienated yet?
      It sounds like he has plenty of allies, unfortunately.
      Then again, if he is spreading lies to harm Mike's business and reputation, that is slander and could probably be a basis for a lawsuit.
      Could be, but such suits are very difficult to win.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

What would Jesus think of Geisler's behavior?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

very sad CBW since Giesler is not showing love to his fellow followers of Christ because he is so willing to divide over a NON ESSENTIAL.

Comment

I'm not defending Geisler's behavior, assuming that what is said on the website is true, but I question whether posting the stuff about Geisler is the best and Biblical way to handle it. I assume Licona has confronted Geisler directly, but why publicly post what Geisler has done to others? I see 1 Cor 6:6 as implying that if/when there are disputes among believers, we shouldn't be airing them publicly.

Comment

I suspect Mike has had to do this because enough people have asked about this. Furthermore, the first one to bring this public was in fact Geisler who took a matter that should have been handled in academic circles and made it public. Since then, he has been going after Mike full throttle, even causing him to lose his livelihood. Since the offense is public, the correction needs to be public.

Also, it's a bit problematic to say bad behavior among Christians should not be stated publicly since first off, we are to mark those who cause division among ourselves, and second, 1 Corinthians like other epistles is a letter that would have been read publicly and in it, Paul denounces the behavior of other beliefs. Paul also publicly confronted Peter as he recalls in Galatians 2.

Comment

James White confirms having been on the receiving end of similar behaviour from Geisler.

https://www.facebook.com/prosapologi...36736533017867

Originally posted by James White
                So let me confirm Mike Licona's experience here:
                http://www.risenjesus.com/speaking-e...moved-web-site
                There is one particular national program that I used to be on regularly back in the 1990s...had a great time with the host, did good, fast-paced programs. Then I wrote The Potter's Freedom. And I have never gotten a phone call since then. I know what happened. Geisler and his cadre (a powerful group, believe you me) are unrelenting. But note what is said in that link: Habermas and Copan were removed from teaching at Veritas Seminary? I did not know that. But what is so amazing is that if you go to the Veritas website ( http://www.veritasseminary.com/adjunct-faculty/ ) look at the second person listed: Ergun Caner. Gotta love Pravda Seminary: disagree with Geisler on anything, and BAM, you are gone. Make up a story about your life as a jihadi and growing up in "majority Muslim countries" (when you grew up in Ohio) and yet *remain faithful to Norm,* well...cinnamon Cheerios! All is well.
                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

The more Geisler does, the more I am baffled that anyone continues to listen to him.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                  "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                  Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                    The more Geisler does, the more I am baffled that anyone continues to listen to him.
                    Despite his bullying tactics, Geisler is still a prolific and authoritative author on apologetics and systematic theology who has been teaching for decades and who founded two popular seminaries. There are some people who would condemn actions like this, but who nonetheless subscribe to Geisler's more academic work.

For example, one of my friends (who runs an apologetics ministry) received his education at Southern Evangelical Seminary where he was able to meet and learn under Geisler, directly. As a result, my friend has always had quite a bit of respect for the man. He certainly isn't happy about the feud between Geisler and Licona-- especially considering that he's also a big fan of Licona's work-- but he still has a lot of love for his old mentor.
                    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

I used to attend SES as well and I used to study under Geisler. Today, I have zero respect for him. I sold all the Geisler books that I could. I would prefer to find the academic work elsewhere. I have no wish to support him in any way whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                        I used to attend SES as well and I used to study under Geisler. Today, I have zero respect for him. I sold all the Geisler books that I could. I would prefer to find the academic work elsewhere. I have no wish to support him in any way whatsoever.
                        I can certainly understand and respect that. I'm just noting that I also understand why someone might still respect Geisler despite his reprehensible actions. On top of that, the average churchgoer probably has no idea about any of the things Geisler has done to Licona or White or other people with whom he has disagreed, and only know about him by the recommendation of their pastor or an apologist.

For example, my parents and numerous friends from the Church which I used to attend have Geisler's books and recommend him wholeheartedly but they had no idea that Geisler was acting in this manner until I told them. The average Christian, unfortunately, has no idea what is going on in the world of scholarship. They only know that Geisler has been considered an authority for decades.
                        "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                        --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post

For example, my parents and numerous friends from the Church which I used to attend have Geisler's books and recommend him wholeheartedly but they had no idea that Geisler was acting in this manner until I told them. The average Christian, unfortunately, has no idea what is going on in the world of scholarship. They only know that Geisler has been considered an authority for decades.
                          Yep, I agree with that. Geisler lives off his reputation. People don't follow the controversies he creates and not many people have heard of Licona or the other people he attacks. At my church, most people think of Geisler as some famous apologist who writes books that they sell in the book store. And that is basically all they know.

Pretty sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Yep, I agree with that. Geisler lives off his reputation. People don't follow the controversies he creates and not many people have heard of Licona or the other people he attacks. At my church, most people think of Geisler as some famous apologist who writes books that they sell in the book store. And that is basically all they know.

Pretty sad.
                            I don't think anyone at my church knows anyone deeper than Josh McDowell or Rick Warren.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                              I can certainly understand and respect that. I'm just noting that I also understand why someone might still respect Geisler despite his reprehensible actions. On top of that, the average churchgoer probably has no idea about any of the things Geisler has done to Licona or White or other people with whom he has disagreed, and only know about him by the recommendation of their pastor or an apologist.

Agree entirely and I agree with Sparko and sympathize with Bill. Too many laypeople just don't pay attention to scholarship. Their church doesn't tell them anything that's going on either so what a shock that Bart Ehrman ends up producing apostates. Sadly, Geisler with his emphasis on inerrancy is only helping him along.

Comment