Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Richard Dawkins: A Gift From God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Dawkins: A Gift From God

What are my thoughts on the latest snafu of Richard Dawkins? http://deeperwaters.wordpress.com/20...gift-from-god/

"Interestingly, this same person who wandered about a child with Down’s also admitted to being on the autism spectrum "

"wondered," not "wandered"

-- The Grammar Police.

Comment

fixed

Comment

"Richard Dawkins: A Gift From God"

This reminded me of something I recently read by Michael Ruse, a philosopher of science who seems to specialize in the relationship between science and religion and who describes himself as both an agnostic and atheist (he says that he is "agnostic on deities and ultimate meanings and that sort of thing").

Well, the article he wrote called "Fighting the Fundamentalists: Chamberlain or Churchill?" concerns his dislike for both militant creationists and atheists[1].

In the he notes how Richard Dawkins wrote about him in his book "The God Delusion" saying that Dawkins compared him "to Neville Chamberlain, the British Prime Minister who tried to appease Adolf Hitler" because he believes that science and religion are compatible -- a view Dawkins rejects. Ruse writes:

Source: Fighting the Fundamentalists: Chamberlain or Churchill?

I am on the outs with the militant atheist group because I do not see that committing oneself to science necessarily implies that one thinks that all of religion is false, and that those who worship a supreme being are in some respects at one with the fanatics who flew planes into the World Trade Center. Of course, I think some religious beliefs are wrong and dangerous. That is why I fight creationists. But overall, I don't think someone is silly or immoral if he or she is a practicing Christian or Jew or Muslim or whatever. Although I don't think you have to be a believer to be good, I fully accept that many believers are good because of their beliefs. Moreover, I think it is both politically and morally right to work with believers to combat ills, including creationism.

The Dawkins-Dennett school allows no compromise. Religion is false. Religion is dangerous. Religion must be fought in every way. There can be no working with the enemy. Those like me who work with religious people are like the appeasers before the Nazis.

© Copyright Original Source

A little further down Ruse states (and this is the portion relevant to the title of your article, "Richard Dawkins: A Gift From God"):

Source: Fighting the Fundamentalists: Chamberlain or Churchill?

The creationists and the ID supporters simply love Dawkins and his ilk. They pray that they will say more and more. Every time the atheists open their mouths they win converts to the literalist cause. The creationists have been saying all along that Darwinism equals atheism, and now the Darwinians apparently agree! Americans in the middle—meaning, generally, religious Americans in the middle—get the message that science, and Darwinism particularly, threatens their faith. Dembski once wrote to Dawkins: “I know that you personally don't believe in God, but I want to thank you for being such a wonderful foil for theism and for intelligent design more generally. In fact, I regularly tell my colleagues that you and your work are one of God’s greatest gifts to the intelligent design movement. So please, keep at it!”

© Copyright Original Source

So Ruse agrees that the antics and attitude displayed by Dawkins and his ilk are indeed a "gift from God" for many.

As an aside, note that Ruse calls the radical fundamentalist atheists -- the "Dawkins-Dennett school" -- "militant atheists." This puts to rest the oft stated claim that this description is only used by "Christian extremists."

ETA: Ruse's article has been reprinted HERE and can be read in full by those interested

1. More on his views on "New Atheists" can be seen here: Why I Think the New Atheists are a Bloody Disaster

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Dawkins just keeps shoving his foot farther and farther into his own mouth. Makes it real hard for the rest of us-- especially whenever the subject of "atheist morality" comes up...
          "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
          --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
            Dawkins just keeps shoving his foot farther and farther into his own mouth. Makes it real hard for the rest of us-- especially whenever the subject of "atheist morality" comes up...
            What is "atheist morality?"
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              Do whatever you want then justify it later using any lame reasoning you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Do whatever you want then justify it later using any lame reasoning you want.
                LOL, I think Boxing will be a little more nuanced than that...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

LOL, I think Boxing will be a little more nuanced than that...
                  I think its rather simple really seer, Atheist, at least those that are not nihilist, believe that morality is inherent in the natural order of things. Slavery isn't right or wrong simply because a God says it is either right or wrong, if it were then you could argue that if there were no God to answer to then slavery would be perfectly good. Same for murder, torture, or anything else that we humans find to be immoral. Personally i don't know of any nihilistic atheists, though i'm sure they are out there, but why do you suppose it is that atheists also have a moral compass. It is because they do not need a God to tell them what is right and what is wrong. What if God said that slavery was the thing to do, that murder was good, that stealing was good, in other words what if the nature of God was more in line with that of what you refer to as satan, because of this satan type God do you believe that which we now believe to be evil would actually be good because that is what the satan god decreed. Atheists would say no.
                  Last edited by JimL; 08-25-2014, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    I think its rather simple really seer, Atheist, at least those that are not nihilist, believe that morality is inherent in the natural order of things. Slavery isn't right or wrong simply because a God says it is either right or wrong, if it were then you could argue that if there were no God to answer to then slavery would be perfectly good. Same for murder, torture, or anything else that we humans find to be immoral. Personally i don't know of any nihilistic atheists, though i'm sure they are out there, but why do you suppose it is that atheists also have a moral compass. It is because they do not need a God to tell them what is right and what is wrong. What if God said that slavery was the thing to do, that murder was good, that stealing was good, in other words what if the nature of God was more in line with that of what you refer to as satan, because of this satan type God do you believe that which we now believe to be evil would actually be good because that is what the satan god decreed. Atheists would say no.
                    That is nonsense Jim. So when atheists slaughter and enslave millions like in the former Soviet Union, China under Mao, North Korea, Cambodia, Cuba, etc... what do you say to them? That you personally object? Why is your moral opinion more correct or valid than theirs? This is the bottom line Jim, if there is no God then there is no objective moral law, no final justice. If there is a God, i.e. the God of scripture, then there is an objective moral rule. And ultimate justice.

Comment

There are a number of different views on the nature of morality, even amongst atheists, but the point of my post is that the issue of morality is one which is very frequently asked of self-described atheists, and that people who have mistaken Dawkins as being the dictator of atheism will immediately and fallaciously present the man's gaffs as if they are representative of positions that atheists MUST hold.
                      "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."

Comment

There are a number of different views on the nature of morality, even amongst atheists, but the point of my post is that the issue of morality is one which is very frequently asked of self-described atheists, and that people who have mistaken Dawkins as being the dictator of atheism will immediately and fallaciously present the man's gaffs as if they are representative of positions that atheists MUST hold.
                        Well most of us don't believe he represents all atheists, but one wonders on what objective moral grounds an atheist would disagree with him, besides personal opinion.

Comment

Well most of us don't believe he represents all atheists, but one wonders on what objective moral grounds an atheist would disagree with him, besides personal opinion.
                          It depends on the atheist. Some are Platonic realists who believe that objective morality is extant in the form of abstracts. Some are humanists who define morality on the basis of societal health. Some are spiritualists who believe that there exists some objective set of rules which can elevate or lower the state of the soul (for example, ending a reincarnation cycle). Some wholly reject the idea of objective morality.

Comment

It depends on the atheist. Some are Platonic realists who believe that objective morality is extant in the form of abstracts. Some are humanists who define morality on the basis of societal health. Some are spiritualists who believe that there exists some objective set of rules which can elevate or lower the state of the soul (for example, ending a reincarnation cycle). Some wholly reject the idea of objective morality.
                            so basically it just boils down to opinion, like seer said.

Comment

I think today most atheists, at least the high profile ones, would reject the idea of objective morality. I personally never got the Platonic thing, or reincarnation. How moral ideas could exists apart from a mind.

Comment