Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Dealing with a KJV-Onlyist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with a KJV-Onlyist

So last night Allie found herself in a discussion on Facebook Messenger with a KJV-onlyist.

Then I took over....

I've invited the guy here.

As a graduate of a certain KJV-only college, I'll be very interested to see if he shows up.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I am wondering if he believes the KJV is the inspired version for the English language or (and?) it can be used to "correct" the Hebrew/Aramaic/Greek.

Comment

Well he wasn't very kind at first to the Mrs. last night when he started engaging her.

Yeah. Let him have it for that one. You don't insult my Allie and get away with it. Not on my watch.

Comment

There's not going to be a punch up is there?

Comment

Probably not. He did apologize last night, but he sure started off on a terrible foot.

Comment

Oh ok. Yeah things can get hot and heavy on this issue.
              I hope he joins. I'm not sure if we even have a KJV Onlyist in TWEB right now(?)

Comment

We used to have Amos.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Do the KJV-onlyists think that Jesus and Paul spoke 16th-17th century English?
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Jorge is KJ-onlyist.
                    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

He is????
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                        Jorge is KJ-onlyist.
                        Not really. He'll quickly throw the KJV under the bus if a particular passage doesn't support his YEC outlook. Psalm 104: 6-9 comes to mind.

The KJV reads
                        Thou coveredst it with the deep as with a garment: the waters stood above the mountains. At thy rebuke they fled; at the voice of thy thunder they hasted away. They go up by the mountains; they go down by the valleys unto the place which thou hast founded for them.

Some other translations have the mountains moving rather than the waters, for instance the ESV:
                        You covered it with the deep as with a garment; the waters stood above the mountains. At your rebuke they fled; at the sound of your thunder they took to flight. The mountains rose, the valleys sank down to the place that you appointed for them.

Jorge prefers the latter to what the KJV and some others say.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                          Yep

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Not really. He'll quickly throw the KJV under the bus if a particular passage doesn't support his YEC outlook. Psalm 104: 6-9 comes to mind.

The KJV reads
                            Thou coveredst it with the deep as with a garment: the waters stood above the mountains. At thy rebuke they fled; at the voice of thy thunder they hasted away. They go up by the mountains; they go down by the valleys unto the place which thou hast founded for them.

Some other translations have the mountains moving rather than the waters, for instance the ESV:
                            You covered it with the deep as with a garment; the waters stood above the mountains. At your rebuke they fled; at the sound of your thunder they took to flight. The mountains rose, the valleys sank down to the place that you appointed for them.

Jorge prefers the latter to what the KJV and some others say.
                            You mean like Mormons and BY?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                              No. Sometimes people claim KJV people say it as part of a strawman argument against them but I've never seen any evidence that the statement "if Paul used the KJV it's good enough for me" has ever been seriously used.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment