Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

On The Death of Robin Williams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On The Death of Robin Williams

R.I.P. Farewell to someone who did so well in making us laugh. http://deeperwaters.wordpress.com/20...obin-williams/

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    R.I.P.
    I understand the sentiment, but I don't think anyone who commits suicide finds the peace they're looking for.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The sad thing is that he's probably not making anybody laugh in eternity.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't like the saying R.I.P. It smacks of what Roger Olson would call "folk religion". (For what it's worth, I don't think it's entirely clear what the intermediate state consists of.)
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I understand the sentiment, but I don't think anyone who commits suicide finds the peace they're looking for.
          From what I gather, R.W. wasn't just someone who was "sad" about some minor and temporary aspect of his life and decided to take the "easy" way out instead of dealing with it. He suffered from some rather severe forms of mental illness that haunted him his whole life.

As someone who's suffered from depression and anxiety issues for all of my life, I can tell you that at the lowest points, your emotions can strangle your rationality and common sense... and my personal experiences sound like they are nothing compared to what RW suffered with throughout most if not all of his life. It's impossible to know, of course, but he was likely not in a rational state of mind at the end, perhaps even under the (delusional) belief that his absence would actually be a good thing for not just himself, but his friends and family as well.

Comment

I'm not sure why he's receiving so many accolades from Christians. I'm not saying he's worthy of reproach, but what did he do to progress the gospel of Christ that deserves so much attention? If anything, it's a testament to the sorry shape of having all the fame and fortune one could ever want as defined by the world's standards.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
              I'm not sure why he's receiving so many accolades from Christians. I'm not saying he's worthy of reproach, but what did he do to progress the gospel of Christ that deserves so much attention? If anything, it's a testament to the sorry shape of having fame and fortune as defined by the world's standards.
              AFAICT it's nothing to do with progressing the gospel but rather having brought joy to people's lives.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                AFAICT it's nothing to do with progressing the gospel but rather having brought joy to people's lives.
                Okay, but not everyone found him funny. That's just a matter of taste. I found him rather obnoxious, though I did like some of his serious films. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condemning the guy -- however, I do think the focus should instead be on the tragedy of it and what that means on a spiritual level. There are celebrities whose lives ended in the same tragedy, yet they didn't receive this much attention, so I'm just not sure why the accolades are being heaped on him, particularly on this forum.

Comment

Okay, but not everyone found him funny. That's just a matter of taste. I found him rather obnoxious, though I did like some of his serious films. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condemning the guy -- however, I do think the focus should instead be on the tragedy of it and what that means on a spiritual level. There are celebrities whose lives ended in the same tragedy, yet they didn't receive this much attention, so I'm just not sure why the accolades are being heaped on him, particularly on this forum.
                  I'm not a movie person myself so I didn't have a highly emotional reaction myself, I'm just trying to make sense of the phenomenon you described. I agree with you on that these should certainly be focused on as well and actually it seems to me that this has sparked a number of discussions about not only mental health but also the spiritual implications of suicide.

Comment

I don't like the saying R.I.P. It smacks of what Roger Olson would call "folk religion". (For what it's worth, I don't think it's entirely clear what the intermediate state consists of.)
                    I don't think there's anything wrong with the saying. How is it "folk religion"? The sentiment is common to pretty much all of Christianity.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      I don't think there's anything wrong with the saying. How is it "folk religion"? The sentiment is common to pretty much all of Christianity.
                      To me, there seems to be an implication that all people have the same experience post-mortem given that the phrase is generally used for Christians and non-Christians alike... and it seems to carry a great certainty regarding a conscious but inactive intermediate state. Maybe I'm overthinking it, I don't know.

Comment

To me, there seems to be an implication that all people have the same experience post-mortem given that the phrase is generally used for Christians and non-Christians alike... and it seems to carry a great certainty regarding a conscious but inactive intermediate state. Maybe I'm overthinking it, I don't know.
                        I agree. It denotes a cavalier attitude towards a very real message of salvation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          The sad thing is that he's probably not making anybody laugh in eternity.
                          Okay, but not everyone found him funny. That's just a matter of taste. I found him rather obnoxious, though I did like some of his serious films. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condemning the guy -- however, I do think the focus should instead be on the tragedy of it and what that means on a spiritual level.
                          I know just the guy to get this conversation started:

"As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

This guy is getting a lot of grief for this post, I really don't see the problem - do you?

he death of Robin Williams is significant not because he was famous, but because he was human, and not just because he left this world, but particularly because he apparently chose to leave it.

Suicide.

A terrible, monstrous atrocity. It disturbs me in a deep, visceral, indescribable way. Of course it disturbs most people, I would assume. Indeed, we should fear the day when we wake up and decide we aren’t disturbed by it anymore.

So I’m just like you, then, because I can’t stomach the thought of it. I’ve seen it in the neighborhoods where I’ve lived and the schools that I’ve attended. I’ve seen it in my family. I’ve known adults and kids who’ve done it. I’ve seen it on the news and read about it in books, but I can’t comprehend it. The complete, total, absolute rejection of life. The final refusal to see the worth in anything, or the beauty, or the reason, or the point, or the hope. The willingness to saddle your family with the pain and misery and anger that will now plague them for the rest of their lives.

It’s a tragic choice, truly, but it is a choice, and we have to remember that. Your suicide doesn’t happen to you; it doesn’t attack you like cancer or descend upon you like a tornado. It is a decision made by an individual. A bad decision. Always a bad decision.
                            http://themattwalshblog.com/2014/08/...uZqP5Idohhv.99
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              This guy is getting a lot of grief for this post, I really don't see the problem - do you?

http://themattwalshblog.com/2014/08/...uZqP5Idohhv.99
                              I can agree with everything that is said there, but when someone is battling severe clinical depression, their minds aren't thinking straight.

C Michael Patton from Reclaiming The Mind ministries has written about in a number of times in talking about his sister's battle with depression and eventual suicide as well as his own battles with depression
                              http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/blo...ry/depression/

http://www.depression.org.nz/helpingothers
                              Last edited by Raphael; 08-13-2014, 03:14 PM.
                              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                              -Ben Witherington III

Comment