Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Why Neil DeGrasse Tyson Should Stick To Science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Agreed. Sagan had a joy and enthusiasm that shown through. And he could speak in simple terms without being obviously condescending. Tyson, OTOH, comes across at times as insufferably smug.
    Not to mention Sagan just came across as being ignorant, when it came to matters of religion. Tyson, on the other hand, seems to be directly dishonest, if anyone remembers that thread I posted about his blatant lies in the first episode of Cosmos about the history of the Church.
    Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
      An atheist on Amazon once recommended I read Sagan's "Demon-Haunted World."

I read it and while I disagreed with a lot in it, I found that I liked Sagan's writing and found he would be a likable fellow and not at all like the new atheists of today.
      His wife (Ann Druyan), OTOH...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        His wife (Ann Druyan), OTOH...
        Ron Nash told a story about when Sagan was dying. According to the story, he was part of a big group of astrophysicists online and many of these people were Christians. One of them in the group said "Carl. I hear you have a big test coming up. I hope you pass." The reply came back "I hope I do too. Please pray for me."

It's one of those stories that makes me hold out hope.

Comment

I find it incredible that people can believe the universe popped into existence out of nothing, from nothing and for absolutely no reason or cause, and they have no evidence at all - just theories that can't be tested.

I think it is much harder to believe that then "God did it"

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            Don't see a problem with it, other than the ridiculous hair.
            Yeah, I always kind of liked him too. I better be careful, 'though, I think this might be the fourth thing we've agreed upon.
            βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
            ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I find it incredible that people can believe the universe popped into existence out of nothing, from nothing and for absolutely no reason or cause, and they have no evidence at all - just theories that can't be tested.

Announcer:
              Welcome to another exciting edition of Cosmos! Now let's dive right into our most intriguing findings as we unlock the mysteries of our multiverse. So without further ado - Sparko, if you will..

Sparko: *Ahem* Yeah well basically all this physical stuff out there *Ahem* God did it.

Announcer: ..And that wraps up another episode! Please join us next week for another exciting edition of Cosmos!

Comment

I always thought Carl Sagan's tussle with Apple (over an internal programming code name, no less) made him look bad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_I...ith_Carl_Sagan
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I always thought Carl Sagan's tussle with Apple (over an internal programming code name, no less) made him look bad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_I...ith_Carl_Sagan
                  I liked their response to the "Cease and Desist" order.

Comment

Tyson got pwned by philosopher Piligucci here

Comment

It would probably be easier to understand if you actually got right what they believe.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by LaplacesDemon View Post
                        Tyson got pwned by philosopher Piligucci here
                        LostSheep just linked me to it. Well done by Pigliucci, though it applies to way too many scientists. Tyson just happens to be the most visible at the moment.
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                          It would probably be easier to understand if you actually got right what they believe.
                          I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post

Announcer:
                            Welcome to another exciting edition of Cosmos! Now let's dive right into our most intriguing findings as we unlock the mysteries of our multiverse. So without further ado - Sparko, if you will..

Sparko: *Ahem* Yeah well basically all this physical stuff out there *Ahem* God did it.

Announcer: ..And that wraps up another episode! Please join us next week for another exciting edition of Cosmos!
                            There's no such thing as a "multiverse", bud.
                            Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post

Announcer:

Announcer: So what caused the universe to be here?
                              Scrawly: Nothing. There was no cause.
                              Announcer: So how come there is a universe?
                              Scrawly: dunno. It just appeared out of nothing.
                              Announcer: nothing? What do you mean?
                              Scrawly: well some people think it was caused by vacuum fluctuations...
                              Announcer: Isn't vacuum nothing?
                              Scrawly: Yes, that is why I said the universe appeared out of nothing.
                              Announcer: But before the universe was here there wasn't even a vacuum, right? because there was no space, no time, nada.
                              Scrawly: uh... well, strings! yeah strings did it. or maybe branes.
                              Announcer: what evidence do we have of these strings or branes?
                              Scrawly: evidence? how can there be evidence of something outside of the universe that existed before the universe existed? There is no evidence. You just have to have faith and stuff.
                              Announcer: riiiight. I thought you said there wasn't any cause?
                              Scrawly: There isn't. I mean.. well... shut up!!!

Comment

Announcer: So what caused the universe to be here?
                                Scrawly: Nothing. There was no cause.
                                Announcer: So how come there is a universe?
                                Scrawly: dunno. It just appeared out of nothing.
                                Announcer: nothing? What do you mean?
                                Scrawly: well some people think it was caused by vacuum fluctuations...
                                Announcer: Isn't vacuum nothing?
                                Scrawly: Yes, that is why I said the universe appeared out of nothing.
                                Announcer: But before the universe was here there wasn't even a vacuum, right? because there was no space, no time, nada.
                                Scrawly: uh... well, strings! yeah strings did it. or maybe branes.
                                Announcer: what evidence do we have of these strings or branes?
                                Scrawly: evidence? how can there be evidence of something outside of the universe that existed before the universe existed? There is no evidence. You just have to have faith and stuff.
                                Announcer: riiiight. I thought you said there wasn't any cause?
                                Scrawly: There isn't. I mean.. well... shut up!!!
                                You do realize I am a Christian and I ultimately agree that God is responsible for the creation of all physical reality, right? However, I do not know the extent of physical reality nor understand the mechanisms involved. I think there very well could be a multiverse, in fact I can't think of any good reason why there wouldn't be.

I simply found your comment to be skirting far too close to the God-of-the-gaps and I thought I would call you out on it.

Comment