X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Beauty Real?

How do we approach this topic?

Link

It's a good article but I think you need to dig a little deeper. For instance, it's not a very strong retort if you can get someone to say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That something has a subjective component, and the experience of beauty undeniable has a powerful subjective, and sometimes intimately personal component, does not mean that the experience of beauty does not exist.

It would be like saying raspberries taste objectively good. Or pizza tastes objectively mediocre, cold pizza tasting objective bad.

So while I think you have a point in beauty having an objective component, in so far it touches something that all humans can recognize, you really also need to develop the point on the subjectivity, which is undeniably there. Or at least if you wish to deny that point, you need to develop it more, because its merely appears like a point you've decided out of thin air, rather than a reasoned out conclusion.

Comment

I think waterfalls and music are beautiful, but how does one measure beauty? I know these things are beautiful, but I dont exactly know why.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        It's a good article but I think you need to dig a little deeper. For instance, it's not a very strong retort if you can get someone to say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That something has a subjective component, and the experience of beauty undeniable has a powerful subjective, and sometimes intimately personal component, does not mean that the experience of beauty does not exist.

It would be like saying raspberries taste objectively good. Or pizza tastes objectively mediocre, cold pizza tasting objective bad.

So while I think you have a point in beauty having an objective component, in so far it touches something that all humans can recognize, you really also need to develop the point on the subjectivity, which is undeniably there. Or at least if you wish to deny that point, you need to develop it more, because its merely appears like a point you've decided out of thin air, rather than a reasoned out conclusion.
        I plan on doing a show on it in the future.

Comment

I like this idea of exploring objective beauty and it makes me think of the concept of there being objective ugliness too of course. Beautiful cat (objective beauty) ugly snake (objective ugliness). But there are people who hate cats and do not find them beautiful and people who love snakes and keep them as pets and find them beautiful.

Cats and snakes are obviously then subjective objects of what people find beautiful or ugly even though they should imo be objective examples of beauty and ugliness. I guess then that we all have our own opinions about what should qualify as objective beauty or objective ugliness. (Surely everyone can see how beautiful or how ugly a thing is? It is so blatantly obvious...).

This makes me wonder what qualifies things immediately and unquestionably as being objectively beautiful or objectively ugly.
          Last edited by Esther; 09-15-2019, 05:50 PM. Reason: paragraphs

Comment