Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

The Tragedy of Christian Bookstores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    You're very wrong. Denying a weaker brother is as bad, if not worse, than inadvertently misleading one. No one gets it all right all the time - if ever. You (general) concentrate on following Christ and helping others where you're certain of your steps- you have no place denying someone merely because you don't think they are trying hard enough. There's a BIG difference between confronting a problem - once you're certain your own eyes are free of log jams - and telling someone they aren't a Christian because they aren't living up to your standard. Tiny fruit may not be apparent to you - but it's still fruit. Let Jesus handle the 'which sheep is Mine' thing - you worry about being the best sheep you can be.
    Wonderful, Laura, wonderful.

Comment

You're very wrong. Denying a weaker brother is as bad, if not worse, than inadvertently misleading one.
      It's just a census thing. The question is, what % of the world is Christian? I was trying to define for census purposes what a Christian is. And what were you doing referring to "weaker" people!?
      No one gets it all right all the time - if ever. You (general) concentrate on following Christ and helping others where you're certain of your steps- you have no place denying someone merely because you don't think they are trying hard enough. There's a BIG difference between confronting a problem - once you're certain your own eyes are free of log jams - and telling someone they aren't a Christian because they aren't living up to your standard. Tiny fruit may not be apparent to you - but it's still fruit. Let Jesus handle the 'which sheep is Mine' thing - you worry about being the best sheep you can be.
      I do want to help people. I just don't know. Maybe I am helping people on TWeb? Maybe not.

Let's stop this census imbroglio here, OK?
      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
        It's just a census thing. The question is, what % of the world is Christian?
        You have an unusable definition, then.

Originally posted by Truthseeker
        I was trying to define for census purposes what a Christian is.
        With a definition that cannot be measured?
        And what were you doing referring to "weaker" people!?
        Following the obvious - weaker Christians often won't seem to be 'striving' - they get in ruts, have trouble learning, get into 'dry' periods (dark night of the soul), et al - all of which can make them seem to give up or to at least stop trying. By your proposed definition, they would be excluded - as I pointed out, unfairly.

I do want to help people. I just don't know. Maybe I am helping people on TWeb? Maybe not.
        Didn't doubt that you did - and you probably are. But you can't use definitions that unfairly exclude, not even the marginal Christians. Sometimes we help them with a hand - sometimes a kick in the rear; but it's case by case and not 'one size fits all'. People is messy.

Jesus never advised taking a census of disciples - we get too caught up in numbers and lose the purpose. Help the starfish you can reach - don't get discouraged because you can't reach them all. Jesus can handle whatever you can't.

Let's stop this census imbroglio here, OK?
        It was your topic.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Easy to nitpick judgment calls. This one isn't Christian. That one is. Not. Is. You then accuse me of using shifting definitions. That's why I am giving up. In fact I think I'll unsubscribe this thread. If you disagree with that decision, you can PM me.
          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

I'm confused
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

So am I - he did define 'Christian' as "one NOT striving to be ever better a Christian" - what did he think I meant?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Easy to nitpick judgment calls. This one isn't Christian. That one is. Not. Is. You then accuse me of using shifting definitions. That's why I am giving up. In fact I think I'll unsubscribe this thread. If you disagree with that decision, you can PM me.
                Got a PM from Teal. My reply:

[Teal explained that she called my definition "unstable" because people change.] OK, but it's someone's attitude that counts. I can't read minds, but I could look at how someone spends his time and his body language. Unfortunately, I would concede I am easy to fool.

Further responses to the PM: My feelings were not hurt. It's just that I didn't want to spend time on endless debates, especially ones that are offtopic. Also, defending my position turned out to be rather nuance-laden. .... Who's KG, your husband? Is he a TWebber, too? (You don't have to answer those questions)

Comment

No, not 'unstable' - un-use-able. For a definition to be used as a category in survey research it has to be uniform and quantifiable. Everyone has to easily agree that X does or does not belong in the category. But 'striving' is too subjective - it varies by degree and is difficult if not impossible for everyone to agree upon, or even determine in another person.

This is why census researchers usually just let people self-identify. You do get people identifying as something they aren't but you can be fairly sure most actually know what they are.

KG is Catholicity's husband - King's Gambit. He posted just before I did (last post of page 1).

So, how 'bout them Dodgers?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

No, not 'unstable' - un-use-able. For a definition to be used as a category in survey research it has to be uniform and quantifiable. Everyone has to easily agree that X does or does not belong in the category. But 'striving' is too subjective - it varies by degree and is difficult if not impossible for everyone to agree upon, or even determine in another person.

This is why census researchers usually just let people self-identify. You do get people identifying as something they aren't but you can be fairly sure most actually know what they are.
                    You make a good point. But are you thinking that the world is Christian enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                      There is a problem with our bookstores selling pablum to the flock and stunting their intellectual growth.

http://deeperwaters.wordpress.com/20...an-bookstores/
                      I think its rather simple...follow the money. A Christian bookstore is probably the support for its owner and family so they have to sell what makes money. A pastor may prefer a church of 20 that really knows the Bible but a church of 200 pays for a building and his salary.

On a different note, I find I have to more niche publishers to find the meaningful writings these days. My most recent purchases have been from Ignatius press and St. Vladimar.
                      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                        I think its rather simple...follow the money. A Christian bookstore is probably the support for its owner and family so they have to sell what makes money. A pastor may prefer a church of 20 that really knows the Bible but a church of 200 pays for a building and his salary.

On a different note, I find I have to more niche publishers to find the meaningful writings these days. My most recent purchases have been from Ignatius press and St. Vladimar.
                        The pool of potential customers could be more Christian. The owner and family could have jobs different from what they are doing. Some pastors are actually volunteers? Church could be conducted in someone's home, like it was in Acts.

Comment

So am I - he did define 'Christian' as "one NOT striving to be ever better a Christian" - what did he think I meant?
                          I said the one should NOT be counted as Christian.

I didn't notice Teal's post, quoted above, until just a moment ago.

Comment

Dude, just stop. lol.

Comment

You make a good point. But are you thinking that the world is Christian enough?
                              Not until everyone is a follower of Christ. But that may take a while.

Granted - I meant to say 'non-Christian'.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

The pool of potential customers could be more Christian. The owner and family could have jobs different from what they are doing. Some pastors are actually volunteers? Church could be conducted in someone's home, like it was in Acts.
                                All valid points. The question: is the state of Christian bookstores a cause of the lack of Christian depth or a reflection of what is taught in the churches? I'll go with the second because if you fix the people (members and church leadership alike), the bookstore will follow.
                                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment