Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

The Tragedy of Christian Bookstores

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Tragedy of Christian Bookstores

    There is a problem with our bookstores selling pablum to the flock and stunting their intellectual growth.

    http://deeperwaters.wordpress.com/20...an-bookstores/

  • #2
    I've done most of my book buying online for years because even before I became Orthodox I could seldom find what I wanted in a Christian bookstore; I mostly went to Christian bookstores to buy music. Christian Book Distributors tends to have a section of decent materials in their catalogs, even if most of the material is pablum; even so, Amazon tends to have a wider selection of Christian titles.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

    Comment


    • #3
      A good percentage of what comes out nowadays is in Kindle format anyway, which is generally cheaper.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

      Comment


      • #4
        Barnes and Nobles has a Christian book section with some pretty good material in it.
        Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

        -Thomas Aquinas

        I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

        -Hernando Cortez

        What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

        -Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

        Comment


        • #5
          Good grief...


          Why do you expect everyone to have the same needs? Or capabilities? Book stores correctly stock what their clientele wants. If you want book stores to stock certain things then buy them from that bookstore - most can special order. Talk your friends into buying it from that store - if the store sees enough traffic, they will start keeping it on the shelves. Once there's some buzz, other stores may take note.

          Quit grousing about the darkness and light the candle already.

          If you're really serious, you need to get someone to help you select the books to target first. They need to be accessible or this won't work (no one buys books just to have something on the shelf - they have to be able to read the thing). There are some good ones out there - bound to be a few not in stores - find them and promote them.

          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


          "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

          My Personal Blog

          My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

          Comment


          • #6
            Because it's not about my needs. It's about what's good for the church. When Joel Osteen is on the bestsellers list, we have a problem.

            Comment


            • #7
              To be blunt, I don't think anybody has a "need" to be reading about how blood moons are a part of prophecy.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

              Comment


              • #8
                The problem really is that the world is unChristian on the whole. Maybe 1/3 profess to be Christian. Maybe 20% of that really are trying to be better Christians.
                The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

                [T]he truth Im after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                  Because it's not about my needs. It's about what's good for the church. When Joel Osteen is on the bestsellers list, we have a problem.
                  When someone is hurting, a book about the forensics of the Resurrection isn't going to help - and that's precisely when they are most likely seeking God. You can't make disciples if you won't let people come to Christ as is. So yes, it IS about what people need and how the church can help.

                  Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  To be blunt, I don't think anybody has a "need" to be reading about how blood moons are a part of prophecy.
                  That kinda depends on why they are reading it - is it a stumbling block for them? Wouldn't be for me but it's silly to assume it can't be for anyone. In which case having a book that can debunk the thing is a good thing.

                  Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                  The problem really is that the world is unChristian on the whole. Maybe 1/3 profess to be Christian. Maybe 20% of that really are trying to be better Christians.
                  Why do you need apologetics to become a better Christian? I'd refer someone in that instance to Matt 5 - 7, and then maybe something devotional or biographical, depending on the need.

                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


                  "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

                  My Personal Blog

                  My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    When someone is hurting, a book about the forensics of the Resurrection isn't going to help - and that's precisely when they are most likely seeking God. You can't make disciples if you won't let people come to Christ as is. So yes, it IS about what people need and how the church can help.
                    Did you read it? I never said everything has to be apologetics. In fact, I said the opposite. That's why there are books along the lines of the Five Love Languages and Boundaries. There are other areas.

                    And also when someone's hurting, having "Blood Moon Rising" is not going to help them either.

                    I have no opposing to other books being in stores. I have opposing to BAD BOOKS being in stores.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                      Did you read it? I never said everything has to be apologetics. In fact, I said the opposite. That's why there are books along the lines of the Five Love Languages and Boundaries. There are other areas.

                      And also when someone's hurting, having "Blood Moon Rising" is not going to help them either.

                      I have no opposing to other books being in stores. I have opposing to BAD BOOKS being in stores.
                      Yes, I read it - it sounded mostly like you were opposed to anything not academic - at the very least any pastor with a TV show. May not have been the intent but certainly sounded like it.

                      As for the 'blood moon' thing, it didn't sound like you read so much as the jacket - how do you know what position the author took? If the thing is heretical, complain to the manager; if it's stupid, explain why. But at least find out what the book says first.

                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


                      "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

                      My Personal Blog

                      My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Yes, I read it - it sounded mostly like you were opposed to anything not academic - at the very least any pastor with a TV show. May not have been the intent but certainly sounded like it.

                        As for the 'blood moon' thing, it didn't sound like you read so much as the jacket - how do you know what position the author took? If the thing is heretical, complain to the manager; if it's stupid, explain why. But at least find out what the book says first.
                        He did a review a few days ago on JP Holding's response to the book, so it's clear that the author believes in the theory and isn't debunking it.

                        As for Osteen, to be honest, I've never really paid any attention to him at all so I'm not one to speak to how "heretical" he is. He simply does not interest me. But I believe the issue there is with heresy and not with his popularity.
                        Last edited by KingsGambit; 04-09-2014, 04:27 PM.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          He did a review a few days ago on JP Holding's response to the book, so it's clear that the author believes in the theory and isn't debunking it.
                          My bad then - I didn't see the review.
                          Originally posted by KingsGambit
                          As for Osteen, to be honest, I've never really paid any attention to him at all so I'm not one to speak to how "heretical" he is. He simply does not interest me. But I believe the issue there is with heresy and not with his popularity.
                          I suppose I'm somewhat at fault here - I get tired of hearing 'So-and-so, the popular pastor/writer/speaker/whocareswhatelse, is bad for all of Christendom and the whole church is going to hell because they read So-and-so's book' every time any of these people get mentioned. I've seen Olsteen in interviews only so I haven't an opinion of his actual work. Meyers gets some things wrong, yes, but she's hardly a charlatan - or wasn't last I even checked. It's an almost endless drumbeat of 'popular = bad' and half the time the complaints, if you can get specifics, are minor. It sounds more like sour grapes (in general, not AN's post) than real critique. And it's annoying.

                          I do still stand by the point that if you (general) are gonna keep ordering from other sources the things you think should be on the shelf then you are part of the very problem you are decrying.

                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


                          "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

                          My Personal Blog

                          My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Why do you need apologetics to become a better Christian? I'd refer someone in that instance to Matt 5 - 7, and then maybe something devotional or biographical, depending on the need.
                            My point was merely how unChristian the world is. Correct me if I'm wrong: One NOT striving to be ever better a Christian
                            should not be counted as a Christian.
                            The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

                            [T]he truth Im after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                              My point was merely how unChristian the world is. Correct me if I'm wrong: One NOT striving to be ever better a Christian
                              should not be counted as a Christian.
                              You're very wrong. Denying a weaker brother is as bad, if not worse, than inadvertently misleading one. No one gets it all right all the time - if ever. You (general) concentrate on following Christ and helping others where you're certain of your steps- you have no place denying someone merely because you don't think they are trying hard enough. There's a BIG difference between confronting a problem - once you're certain your own eyes are free of log jams - and telling someone they aren't a Christian because they aren't living up to your standard. Tiny fruit may not be apparent to you - but it's still fruit. Let Jesus handle the 'which sheep is Mine' thing - you worry about being the best sheep you can be.

                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


                              "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

                              My Personal Blog

                              My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Apologiaphoenix, 10-19-2020, 10:06 AM
                              5 responses
                              39 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Apologiaphoenix  
                              Started by Apologiaphoenix, 10-16-2020, 09:00 AM
                              0 responses
                              13 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Apologiaphoenix  
                              Started by Apologiaphoenix, 10-15-2020, 09:44 AM
                              3 responses
                              36 views
                              2 likes
                              Last Post ReformedApologist  
                              Started by Apologiaphoenix, 10-14-2020, 09:09 AM
                              0 responses
                              13 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Apologiaphoenix  
                              Started by Apologiaphoenix, 10-12-2020, 09:02 AM
                              7 responses
                              77 views
                              2 likes
                              Last Post ReformedApologist  
                              Working...
                              X