Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Are Boycotts Finally Working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Boycotts Finally Working?

Are we on the verge of a change?

----------------

Are we finally seeing boycotts start to work? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

I don't drink alcohol, but I remember seeing about the Dylan Mulvaney can of Bud Light and how some people thought it was a joke because it was April 1st.

Nope. It was real.

However, I was extremely surprised with what happened after and I have been watching the news. The stock keeps dropping more and more and the company wants to do everything but apologize. However, because they didn't just jump up and defend Mulvaney immediately, now the LGBTQ+GBJAHVHAKJOTVAH group has gone against them as well.

That was interesting enough.

Yet now another company has joined the fray, that one being Target. Now because they had pride material upfront in their stores and some it for children, a lot of parents have decided that that's too far. We are waiting to see if Adidas and The North Face will go the same way.

What's going on that caused these to be different?

Bud Light I think is because frankly, Mulvaney is annoying to a lot of people. They want nothing to do with him and the last thing your average male beer drinker wants is to be seen as a woman or as gay. This has led to Bud Light being seen as a joke and now, people are learning that if you make fun of Bud Light in a meme or a video, you get noticed on the internet.

In this, conservatives start to see the impact they can have when they speak out. Around this time also, we see a push by women against the transgenderism movement, especially with someone like Riley Gaines. Women are tired of men entering their events and dominating them and getting all the rewards for it.

Then Target comes along and not only do they have Pride material, but it seems to go toward children. There are a lot of parents that don't want that pushed on their children. Now that Bud Light has done their thing, conservatives are starting to realize that they do have power now. Thus far, Target at the time of my writing this has lost $9 billion in sales.

Add in to all of this that the Super Mario Brothers movie is a smash hit. Meanwhile, Disney movies that are going woke are indeed, going broke. Mario's great advantage was avoiding anything political.

All of this has honestly brought me a lot of hope. I want to see the tide turn in our country. Too many times now, we've just bent over and let the LGBTQGUAGHIAGUV group have their way with us. We have been following the idea of live and let live, but our opponents didn't want that. Every step forward was then a stepping stone to the next one and the last grounds that parents would not tolerate was their children.

For those of us who are Christians, I really hope we keep this coming. This is prime ground for sharing the gospel. Christianity has a view on everything, including on sex and marriage, and now is a time for us to learn how to make it definitely.

In the meantime, I wasn't shopping at Target anyway, but now I'm definitely not going to. For those of us who want to reclaim our country, we could be on the verge of starting to do that. If we want to save our country, repentance is needed. It's not just the world. We Christians need to repent as well for not stepping up and maintaining our Christian focus.

May the gospel shine in this time.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)
    Are we finally seeing boycotts start to work? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out. I don’t drink alcohol, but I remember seeing about the Dylan Mulvaney can of Bud Light and how some people thought it was a joke because it was April 1st. Nope. It was real. However, I was extremely … Continue reading Are Boycotts Finally Working?

"Go woke, go broke" is definitely a thing.

It might get you a good CEI score but if you can't sell your products as a result, what difference does that make?

After Anheuser-Busch and Target, I imagine there are interesting boardroom discussions taking place regarding the wisdom of automatically kowtowing to extremist leftwing fringe group's every demand while sticking a thumb into the eye of your customers.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I've been in a seminar in Nashville the last few days, and that was one of the topics.
      There's an alternative to the nonsense the left pushes, and it's called "Public Square" --- https://publicsq.com/

If you want to support conservatives in the marketplace, check it out.

And, yes, the whole left agenda with regards to DEI and such is beginning to backlash bigtime.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I've been in a seminar in Nashville the last few days, and that was one of the topics.
        There's an alternative to the nonsense the left pushes, and it's called "Public Square" --- https://publicsq.com/

If you want to support conservatives in the marketplace, check it out.

And, yes, the whole left agenda with regards to DEI and such is beginning to backlash bigtime.
        Interesting - I was going to join this morning, and got this message....

record high traffic.jpg
        Attached Files
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

MSNBC, which gleefully promoted various leftwing boycotts over the years, is now calling them "economic terrorism"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm not sure Christians should be taking the tack that companies should "avoid being political" given the vigor with which many supported Chick-Fil-A (before they they announced they would stay out of hot button issues). It would be more honest to state that they should avoid taking political stances offensive to them.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              I'm not sure Christians should be taking the tack that companies should "avoid being political" given the vigor with which many supported Chick-Fil-A (before they they announced they would stay out of hot button issues). It would be more honest to state that they should avoid taking political stances offensive to them.
              I think it's more a matter of making an informed choice to support the businesses who most closely share our values, when possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I think it's more a matter of making an informed choice to support the businesses who most closely share our values, when possible.
                I'd agree with that. The reason I said something is because the wording I quoted is what I'm hearing people actually say the most.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Chick-fil-a has always been upfront about its stance regarding Christianity and politics. That is a bit different than a company that has not stated a stance one way or another for most of its existence suddenly trying to promote a specific political stance. Butch Hartman got in trouble for the same thing with his attempt to make Oaxis which was originally billed as merely a family-friendly streaming service and then after they had received money from a Kickstarter declared they were going to be promoting Christian teachings and values. If that had been advertised from the beginning such an outrage wouldn't have happened.

My stance on the issue is if you start apolitical then you need to stay that way. People don't like places like grocery stores, clothing stores, and restaurants preaching to them. Especially if it starts out of nowhere.

Comment

I'd agree with that. The reason I said something is because the wording I quoted is what I'm hearing people actually say the most.
                    Gotcha. Yeah, to me, it's "free enterprise" -- I don't have to buy from those who choose to turn their companies into propaganda machines for Satan.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

My stance on the issue is if you start apolitical then you need to stay that way. People don't like places like grocery stores, clothing stores, and restaurants preaching to them. Especially if it starts out of nowhere.
                      I think we're only saying that because it's essentially unthinkable that an established brand would come out and start preaching Christian values out of nowhere. That's a statement on the prevailing winds of culture. I really struggle with your wording here because to be consistent, you would have to criticize a company that did.

I do acknowledge that it annoys consumers though.

Comment

I think we're only saying that because it's essentially unthinkable that an established brand would come out and start preaching Christian values out of nowhere. That's a statement on the prevailing winds of culture. I really struggle with your wording here because to be consistent, you would have to criticize a company that did.

I do acknowledge that it annoys consumers though.
                        Maybe some people are saying it for that reason but that isn't the reason for my position. I think a person's stance on this should be consistent regardless of where the political winds are blowing. That is why many Classical Liberals still support free speech while leftists are for censoring people they disagree with. I've seen both sides abuse authority to censor people and I don't want either one of them to have that power.

A supposedly neutral company coming out and starting preaching anything is annoying and deceitful to me. I just did criticize a company that did that. Butch Hartman's Oaxis didn't end up streaming anything but I still think it was wrong to only state they were going to be teaching Christian values and doctrines after taking money from people. If they had stated that as their goal from the beginning, no one would have batted an eye because that would have been honest. It is one thing when a product is more specific to have a specific demographic but it is another when you are producing products for a general audience. It also creates problems by creating a parallel economy.

Comment

Now Chick-Fil-A is getting boycotted by conservatives:

https://thehill.com/homenews/4026001...s-for-boycott/

At some point, once you boycott everything under the sun, nobody will take you seriously on any of them.

This seems to be a major overreaction on the part of anything mentioning race. Gavin Ortlund being attacked by the Daily Wire and called a "race hustler" by another blogger just for saying that Christians should not be racist is a prime example of it. I know privately that Gavin was very hurt.
                          Last edited by KingsGambit; 06-01-2023, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                            It also creates problems by creating a parallel economy.
                            Why is this ultimately a bad thing?

Comment

Now Chick-Fil-A is getting boycotted by conservatives:

https://thehill.com/homenews/4026001...s-for-boycott/

At some point, once you boycott everything under the sun, nobody will take you seriously on any of them.
                              Yeah, that's disappointing - apparently, the current COO is more gay-friendly than the previous owners. They mentioned this at the Turning Point USA Pastor convention I was at in Nashville last week.

Comment