Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

We Have Two Swords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

You made a assumption premised on a complete lack of evidence. Only a fool does that. Keep digging.
    Which premise do you reject?
    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

It appears you are lost for words!
      Not at all. Forster makes a reasonable case, contra majority consensus, in his discussion paper. Comparing his argument with scripture leads to an interesting possibility about the actual intent of Jesus' words.

That hardly supports your claims about the history of first century Roman Empire and Judaea, which, with regard to a number of significant points, bears little in common with events in this universe.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

That hardly supports your claims about the history of first century Roman Empire and Judaea, which, with regard to a number of significant points, bears little in common with events in this universe.
        You are free to cite where what I have written concerning the history of this region and of this period concerning:

a number of significant points, bears little in common with events in this universe.

And point out my errors.

"It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

You are free to cite where what I have written concerning the history of this region and of this period concerning:

a number of significant points, bears little in common with events in this universe.

And point out my errors.
          Your claim: A census (as required for the lustrum) was conducted only in Italy.
          Datum: Municipia were established for lustra associated census purposes in provinces outside Italy.

Your claim: Only Roman citizens were counted in a lustrum associated census.
          Datum: Augustus was able to pen with his own hand the disposition of assets in client kingdoms.

Your claim: Egypt was a special case, having no equivalents elsewhere.
          Datum: The only provision ever mentioned for Egypt that varies from the standard pattern is the interval: 7 years as opposed to 14 (or 19 – depending on how the interval is counted).

Your claim: Client Kingdoms were exempt.
          Datum: A manuscript is extant which shows that Rome conducted a census in and by a client kingdom, under the supervision of a Roman censor.

Your claim: The Romans did not conduct an empire wide census in that period
          Datum: Augustus conducted three lustra during his reign.

Further to which: "But it is also certain that under Augustus censuses were held in Judea by Sentius Saturninus: in these censuses one could verify his humanity" (Justin Martyr. Against Marcion, 4.19.10)
          Whether or not those records actually referred to the family of Jesus, Judaea was included in the lustrum related census of 8BC – every claim of yours, listed above, is demonstrated false by this one data point.

Your claim: Rome never required people to return to their home-towns for the census.
          Datum: The requirement is found on a manuscript unearthed in Egypt, along with the census data for people who were not Roman citizens.

Your claim: The census results were not public records.
          Datum: Census results were posted on the wall of temples in the relevant municipia. The collated forms were archived in the temple of Saturn in Rome.

Last edited by tabibito; 04-02-2023, 05:23 AM.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Your claim: A census (as required for the lustrum) was conducted only in Italy.
            Datum: Municipia were established for lustra associated census purposes in provinces outside Italy.

Your claim: Only Roman citizens were counted in a lustrum associated census.
            Datum: Augustus was able to pen with his own hand the disposition of assets in client kingdoms.

Your claim: Egypt was a special case, having no equivalents elsewhere.
            Datum: The only provision ever mentioned for Egypt that varies from the standard pattern is the interval: 7 years as opposed to 14 (or 19 – depending on how the interval is counted).

Your claim: Client Kingdoms were exempt.
            Datum: A manuscript is extant which shows that Rome conducted a census in and by a client kingdom, under the supervision of a Roman censor.

Your claim: The Romans did not conduct an empire wide census in that period
            Datum: Augustus conducted three lustra during his reign.

Further to which: "But it is also certain that under Augustus censuses were held in Judea by Sentius Saturninus: in these censuses one could verify his humanity" (Justin Martyr. Against Marcion, 4.19.10)
            Whether or not those records actually referred to the family of Jesus, Judaea was included in the lustrum related census of 8BC – every claim of yours, listed above, is demonstrated false by this one data point.

Your claim: Rome never required people to return to their home-towns for the census.
            Datum: The requirement is found on a manuscript unearthed in Egypt, along with the census data for people who were not Roman citizens.

Your claim: The census results were not public records.
            Datum: Census results were posted on the wall of temples in the relevant municipia. The collated forms were archived in the temple of Saturn in Rome.

This is nothing but a farrago of complete nonsense. I would seriously advise you to Get Thee to a Good Reference Library and consult some authoritative works.

You might begin with:

Vol 1 Schürer The History of the Jewish People. Revised Ed: by Millar, Black & Vermes, 1979
            The relevant articles in the current edition of the Oxford Classical Dictionary. 4th Revised Edition, 2012
            Beard, North, and Price Religions of Rome [2 Vols] 1998
            Adrian Goldsworthy, Augustus: From Revolutionary to Emperor, 2014
            John Richardson, Roman Provincial Administration 227 BC - AD 117. 1976

You should also bear in mind that there is an immense corpus of academic literature covering these subject areas. The suggested titles are purely offered as pointers for you as you make your way towards the citadel of erudition.

"It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• [QUOTE=Hypatia_Alexandria;n1470338]

This is nothing but a farrago of complete nonsense. I would seriously advise you to Get Thee to a Good Reference Library and consult some authoritative works.[quote]

Once more, no attempt to engage with the issues raised.

You might begin with:

Vol 1 Schürer The History of the Jewish People. Revised Ed: by Millar, Black & Vermes, 1979
              The relevant articles in the current edition of the Oxford Classical Dictionary. 4th Revised Edition, 2012
              Beard, North, and Price Religions of Rome [2 Vols] 1998
              Adrian Goldsworthy, Augustus: From Revolutionary to Emperor, 2014
              John Richardson, Roman Provincial Administration 227 BC - AD 117. 1976

You should also bear in mind that there is an immense corpus of academic literature covering these subject areas. The suggested titles are purely offered as pointers for you as you make your way towards the citadel of erudition.
              Having skimmed through Richardson's book, which is interesting in its own right, I can't find anything relevant to the specific issues that I mentioned. Is the rest of your suggested reading list equally pertinent?
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Once more, no attempt to engage with the issues raised.
                You have written a farrago of nonsense.

I am not engaging in detail on this because it is patently obvious that [a] you know nothing about Roman religion, Roman politics, and Roman provincial government in the early first century CE and [b] you do not read what I write to you, as indicated by your reply to the last longer post I made to you on Saturday.

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Having skimmed through Richardson's book, which is interesting in its own right, I can't find anything relevant to the specific issues that I mentioned. Is the rest of your suggested reading list equally pertinent?
                That you can make such an uninformed comment on the relevance of Richardson to the issues you have raised merely serves to exemplify the arrogance of your ignorance.

"It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You have written a farrago of nonsense.

I am not engaging in detail on this because it is patently obvious that [a] you know nothing about Roman religion, Roman politics, and Roman provincial government in the early first century CE and [b] you do not read what I write to you, as indicated by your reply to the last longer post I made to you on Saturday.

That you can make such an uninformed comment on the relevance of Richardson to the issues you have raised merely serves to exemplify the arrogance of your ignorance.
                  That is one mighty uppity response, the more-so because it comes from an "anonymous poster on an insignificant bulletin board."

Back to reading Richardson's book for me.
                  Last edited by tabibito; 04-02-2023, 08:08 PM.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

That is one mighty uppity response, the more-so because it comes from an "anonymous poster on an insignificant bulletin board."

Back to reading Richardson's book for me.
                    Given how little you actually know you might find this a better starting point. It is written by a recognised academic.

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Given how little you actually know you might find this a better starting point. It is written by a recognised academic.

Α book about Rome - I'm sure it will be chock full of information about what was happening in Judaea between 100 BCE and 100 CE.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Α book about Rome - I'm sure it will be chock full of information about what was happening in Judaea between 100 BCE and 100 CE.
                        The Roman Republic was involved in the Greek East from the second century BCE - read upon Antiochus III and the Syrian or Antiochene War.

And by the early part of the first century BCE it was invading the region. Does the name Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus [aka Pompey the Great] mean anything to you?
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The Roman Republic was involved in the Greek East from the second century BCE - read upon Antiochus III and the Syrian or Antiochene War.

And by the early part of the first century BCE it was invading the region. Does the name Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus [aka Pompey the Great] mean anything to you?
                          By that logic a book on the Parthian Empire is needed given that they controlled parts of Syria and the Levant after the Second Roman Civil War for a few years

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            By that logic a book on the Parthian Empire is needed given that they controlled parts of Syria and the Levant after the Second Roman Civil War for a few years
                            T. P. Wiseman. "THE CENSUS IN THE FIRST CENTURY B.C." The Journal of Roman Studies , 1969, Vol. 59, No. 1/2 (1969), pp. 59-75

BROOK W. R. PEARSON. "The Lucan Censuses, Revisited." The Catholic Biblical Quarterly , April 1999, Vol. 61, No. 2 (April 1999), pp. 262-282

A couple of articles that I found today. The second is quite interesting.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              A volume or two on the history of the Parthian Empire would certainly add to one's understanding of these periods of history.

As I noted to tabibito there is a massive corpus of academic literature covering these subject areas. And these are huge subject areas.

"It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment