Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Christmas on Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas on Sunday

Who is going?

-----------

Should we go to church on Christmas? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

So there's been a lot of talk I've seen on Facebook about Christmas being on a Sunday this year. I do know a lot of churches are having Christmas Eve services, which is fairly common. I don't remember going to them growing up since my parents were the ones in charge and we always went to two different houses on Christmas Eve. I know my ex-wife and I didn't on our first Christmas Eve together, but we were also going on a deep drive through snow.

Now this year, I do plan on going to my church for Christmas. I understand we're going to not have the regular Sunday School aspect, which is fine with me, but I plan on attending the service. There are some people who are thinking we shouldn't have church this year on Christmas because people will want to be with their families.

Churches normally are open on Christmas day for a service and also people usually do want to spend Christmas with their families. Both of those make sense. Somehow, when Christmas falls on Sunday, it seems strange to some people to think you'd go to church.

Which is kind of odd. We're only celebrating the birth of the Son of God into the world. It's strange to go to the very place where that is celebrated?

However, we could also consider this a Romans 14 matter. Perhaps someone's family has non-Christians that will absolutely refuse to go to church at all and maybe one doesn't want to avoid any sort of drama. That would be up to each person to decide based on the kind of skeptic in their family they are dealing with. It could also be a great time to get someone to church so they can hopefully learn something more about the message of salvation.

For me, I am going to church and my family is going to be celebrating on Eastern time. They will have to wait another hour likely for me then, but I don't think there will be much problem with that. I am staying in New Orleans for Christmas and we have said we are going to use our Echo devices so we can see each other and open gifts that way.

If we treat this as a Romans 14 matter, then we should also say that each person should be fully convinced in his own mind. For me, the idea of missing church doesn't really make sense, but at the same time, I don't want to look down my nose at someone who is missing. It would be horrible to be celebrating the birth of Christ while practicing the sin of satan after all.

People will be discussing their reasons back and forth for what they do and there are many factors to consider. Again, let each be fully convinced in his own mind. For me, I am going to be going to my service that day and the gifts, God willing, will still be waiting for me when I get home and the family will still be there. They'll do just fine.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)
    Should we go to church on Christmas? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out. So there’s been a lot of talk I’ve seen on Facebook about Christmas being on a Sunday this year. I do know a lot of churches are having Christmas Eve services, which is fairly common. I don’t remember going … Continue reading Christmas on Sunday

Weather permitting, we're having a Royal Hours service Friday morning, a vigil service Saturday evening, and liturgy Sunday morning. Looks like snow is coming Thursday and Friday.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

My church is doing their Christmas service on Saturday the 24th and no services on Sunday. I have no issues with that. Since except for the pastor and his wife, the worship team is almost all parents of young children so I can see how this would be hard on their families.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

On a related note, what do we think about churches closing due to severe bad weather? I just notified that today's service, December 24, is cancelled. We're having low temperatures with a wind chill that goes to 0F or lower. I doubt we would have gone anyways but I want to see what others think.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
          On a related note, what do we think about churches closing due to severe bad weather? I just notified that today's service, December 24, is cancelled. We're having low temperatures with a wind chill that goes to 0F or lower. I doubt we would have gone anyways but I want to see what others think.
          I don't see it as theologically problematic. If it's not safe, it's not safe. Perhaps in a digital age, especially post-covid, churches should anticipate this and prepare to stream.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

I don't see it as theologically problematic. If it's not safe, it's not safe. Perhaps in a digital age, especially post-covid, churches should anticipate this and prepare to stream.
            Good point. I will point out that streaming a service still requires the staff to reach the church.

I think many churches now stream. They may need to up their game some.

Comment

Well, it's Sunday. And today is Christmas. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Merry Christmas!
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Merry Christmas!

Comment

We're having a candlelight service this morning. My wife and I will be attending. Yes. It's Christ-Mass, there should be a service!
                    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment