Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Doing No Harm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing No Harm

How do we determine what we should do?

--------------

Is doing no harm a sufficient moral principle? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Often today, we don’t hear about if an action is good or evil. We hear about if it is harmful or not. Now, causing harm is one aspect to consider in morality, but it is not the only. When it comes to the idea of redefining marriage, part of the question asked is “Well who is it hurting?”

For one thing, changing the meaning of marriage for anyone changes it for everyone. Everyone’s marriage is shifted to not a union designed to bring about children for the prolonging of civilization, but rather to a sort of union from two people who are committed to one another. By this standard, we could say that two roommates could be married or a brother and sister who choose to live together are married or a son who brings his mother who is a new widow into his home are married.

However, while those are important situations to bring up, why not go back and question this principle about not harming anyone. Consider the scenario of a peeping Tom for example. he has found a peephole outside of a showering area where he can stand and watch naked women shower. He is never caught and the women never have any idea they are being watched? Are any of them being harmed? If not, then can we say this is wrong?

Consider also a dentist who has a private practice. To keep costs down, he doesn’t even have a secretary. He works alone and makes all his appointments. From time to time, beautiful women come in and he has to put them under for surgical operations. What they don’t know is that sometimes when they are unconscious, he undresses them and fondles them. The women never get pregnant and so never find out about what he’s done. Has he done any harm?

If you’re a Christian or even most any other kind of theist, you could say this man has damaged his standing before God in each case and so he has done harm at least to himself. He has lowered himself from being what a human being ought to be to being something less. If you are a secularist though, you do not have this option.

Not only that, but we know that there are times that causing harm is the good thing to do. I have a friend who just had a quadruple bypass operation. Right now, he is still in a lot of pain. I have told him some about my having scoliosis surgery and how I too was in a lot of pain and understood what that was like. In both cases, our doctors harmed us and left us with tremendous pain. The thing is, we knew this would happen and we went through it willingly and even paid our doctors for it. Why? Because we were not being harmed to be harmed. We were being given some degree of harm in order to get a greater good.

Another example is telling a loved one a hard truth. Sometimes, this is very harmful to the person for the immediate and short-term, but it is good in the long run. Again, consequences are not all that is to be considered, but they are a part of this. Consequences alone are insufficient. We need to look at the action, who is doing it, and why they are doing it.

No one being harmed by itself is insufficient. By this standard, the Peeping Tom and the dentist are both okay. By a Christian standard, they are in the wrong because they are lowering themselves as human beings and actually in the long run making themselves more likely to be the people who will take further steps to do actual visible harm to others.

Our moral thinking needs to go deeper than just utilitarianism. We need to look at who we are and why we do what we do.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)
    Is doing no harm a sufficient moral principle? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out. Often today, we don’t hear about if an action is good or evil. We hear about if it is harmful or not. Now, causing harm is one aspect to consider in morality, but it is not the only. … Continue reading Doing No Harm

"Do no harm" is an absolute minimum, I think - maybe a starting point.

But let's say you and I are friends, and you're about to take the stage to speak to a crowd.
    You turn to me and ask, "how do I look?"
    You have a huge booger hanging from your nose, but I don't want to embarrass you, so I say "you look GREAT".

Am I a friend?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      "Do no harm" is an absolute minimum, I think - maybe a starting point.

But let's say you and I are friends, and you're about to take the stage to speak to a crowd.
      You turn to me and ask, "how do I look?"
      You have a huge booger hanging from your nose, but I don't want to embarrass you, so I say "you look GREAT".

Am I a friend?
      I would hope you're a friend already.

You could be a friend and still say I look great, but you're just not being a good one at that point.

I know you don't say that to Sparko though since a huge booger hanging from his nose is an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
        I would hope you're a friend already.
        Agreed.

You could be a friend and still say I look great, but you're just not being a good one at that point.
        Yup!

I know you don't say that to Sparko though since a huge booger hanging from his nose is an improvement.
        Anything to conceal part of his face, yes.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Agreed.

Yup!

Anything to conceal part of his face, yes.
          Part of the reason it's so bad is because someone told him he had a huge booger. He wasn't used to using the hook back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            Part of the reason it's so bad is because someone told him he had a huge booger. He wasn't used to using the hook back then.
            Which also explains the eye patch.

Comment

Which also explains the eye patch.
              Oddly enough that one happened the night before said incident.

Comment