Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

The Bible and Feeling Led

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post

I have no problem with praying for wisdom like that. We all should.
    I would agree that "feeling led" is way overused, but I would disagree that it's not an important component of being a Christian.
    (perhaps I misunderstood, and you're not saying that)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I would agree that "feeling led" is way overused, but I would disagree that it's not an important component of being a Christian.
      (perhaps I misunderstood, and you're not saying that)
      It depends on what is meant by it.

If I don't see it showing up in Scripture, I question the normativity.

A good read on this also for all sides is the following:

https://www.amazon.com/How-Then-Shou...s%2C430&sr=8-6

Comment

It depends on what is meant by it.
        Sure!

If I don't see it showing up in Scripture,
        A) an argument from silence?
        2) not specifically that term, but the principle?

I question the normativity.
        As I said, WAY overused.

A good read on this also for all sides is the following:

https://www.amazon.com/How-Then-Shou...s%2C430&sr=8-6
        So, in my real life example of the girl sitting on the steps about to take her own life --- coincidence?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Sure!

[/QUOTE] A) an argument from silence?
          2) not specifically that term, but the principle? [/QUOTE]

A. If something isn't in Scripture, it's up to someone else to demonstrate to me that it's Scriptural. I see Scripture constantly telling us to use wisdom and follow that path. I don't see anywhere where we are taught to hear from God. If anything, the times of God speaking are rare. The people who hear are the exceptions.

So, in my real life example of the girl sitting on the steps about to take her own life --- coincidence?
          I can accept something happening then, but again, it is not normative. It is the exception.

Comment

I can accept something happening then, but again, it is not normative. It is the exception.
            IMO, if the Holy Spirit is abiding in us, I'd expect that it's normative to be led by Him.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I can accept something happening then,
              I missed that part in the OP.

but again, it is not normative. It is the exception.
              I'm living wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                IMO, if the Holy Spirit is abiding in us, I'd expect that it's normative to be led by Him.
                But in what way?

Comment

But in what way?
                  We should listen for His promptings. That isn't to say we should listen to every prompting; we should "test the spirits" as Scripture says (1 Jn. 4:1), and not follow promptings that are clearly against Scripture.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

We should listen for His promptings. That isn't to say we should listen to every prompting; we should "test the spirits" as Scripture says (1 Jn. 4:1), and not follow promptings that are clearly against Scripture.
                    And I'm wondering still from Scripture how one could tell what prompting is of God and what isn't and how that testing would come about.

Comment

And I'm wondering still from Scripture how one could tell what prompting is of God and what isn't and how that testing would come about.
                      If the prompting urges us to sin or gratifies our sinful passions, then it's clearly not from God. For example, if you feel led to become a pastor because your girlfriend wants to be a pastor's wife, that's not from God. If you feel led to join the worship team because you have a gift for music and want to use your talents in God's service, that's very probably from God. The church's experience is also pertinent in that regard; there is a strong tradition of guarding one's thoughts stretching back to at least the 4th century.

sigpic

Comment

If the prompting urges us to sin or gratifies our sinful passions, then it's clearly not from God. For example, if you feel led to become a pastor because your girlfriend wants to be a pastor's wife, that's not from God. If you feel led to join the worship team because you have a gift for music and want to use your talents in God's service, that's very probably from God. The church's experience is also pertinent in that regard; there is a strong tradition of guarding one's thoughts stretching back to at least the 4th century.
                        Yes, but at the same time one could have a desire for something good and want to do it and it still wouldn't be from God. I have no problem with guarding one's thoughts, but that doesn't seem like it's the same thing entirely.

Comment

Yes, but at the same time one could have a desire for something good and want to do it and it still wouldn't be from God. I have no problem with guarding one's thoughts, but that doesn't seem like it's the same thing entirely.
                          Guarding one's thoughts and testing the spirits both involve the same sort of examination.

Is there anything good that doesn't come from God?

sigpic

Comment

Guarding one's thoughts and testing the spirits both involve the same sort of examination.

Is there anything good that doesn't come from God?
                            All good things come from Him, but that doesn't mean they all come directly from Him.

Comment

Yeah, "I feel God is leading me to dump my wife and hook up with that young hottie" is NOT being "led by the Spirit."
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Yeah, "I feel God is leading me to dump my wife and hook up with that young hottie" is NOT being "led by the Spirit."
                                I actually had a deacon once tell me that God told him, in a dream, to divorce his wife and leave his family.

I told Him, "God is telling me right now that you no longer need to serve as a deacon in this Church".

(I was being somewhat facetious, but it was, indeed, the end of his service with us)
                                (If I was married to his wife, I may well have come up with such a declaration from God myself )

Comment