Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

But They're So Nice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But They're So Nice

How can you think otherwise when they're so nice?

---------------

Should you change your mind because your neighbor is nice? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

My parents are part of the Methodist Church which just underwent a huge split over the issue of the definition of marriage. Naturally, my folks want to talk to me about what's going on and my thoughts on the matter. One comment I have heard from them is that they have friends who know someone who's same-sex attracted and they'll say "But they're so nice...."

I don't have any reason to question that. There are several who are nice people. However, how does that become an argument to say "Therefore, I should vote to redefine marriage."?

The issue when it comes to what the Methodist Church wants to do is "What is the nature of marriage?" Now if you think nature is fluid, meaning that a man and a woman is not the essence of marriage, meaning something essential to marriage, it's up to you to define what is. You can say marriage is fluid, but if there is nothing essential to marriage, as in marriage has no real characteristic of it, then marriage is essentially nothing.

I have written about this in several other places, so I don't want to make this blog on the nature of marriage. I do want to discuss the question about people being nice. I really don't understand why this is so persuasive, aside from the fact that people think with their emotions more than they do with their heads.

For one thing, if every same-sex attracted person was among the nicest people on the planet, that would say nothing about the nature of marriage itself. I regularly hear, and have experienced, that Mormons are usually incredibly kind people. If someone is willing to grant that, does that mean that they should rush down to the Mormon Church to convert?

Of course not, and even if they did, how many contradictions would you have in your mindset on the same issue? If you met a really nice Muslim after that, would you determine that Mormonism is false and Islam is true? If you encountered a nice atheist then, would you conclude that God doesn't exist? If every atheist was practically a saint, that would say nothing about the arguments for or against theism.

Contrary, suppose Christians you met were jerks, and sadly, this could be true. Christians shouldn't be, but if one encounters a Christian who is a jerk, that doesn't say anything about whether Christianity is true or false. Christianity could have the best ethical system in the world and yet if people fail to live up to it, that says nothing about the system of ethics. It just says a lot about the followers.

We could say that people who vote to redefine marriage are implicitly saying then that everyone who holds to marriage as has always been understood is a jerk. Do they really want to say that? If you vote because person A of this persuasion is nice, does that mean the person opposed is mean?

When you look at the nature of marriage in the church situation, only one question needs to be asked. What is marriage? If you see it as fluid and changeable, then act accordingly. If you hold to a reality that says the man-woman unit is essential to marriage, then do the same.

Give a real reason. Even if you support the redefining of marriage, I hope this is something that can be agreed to. People should strive to be moral, but that doesn't mean their position is true.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)
    Should you change your mind because your neighbor is nice? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out. My parents are part of the Methodist Church which just underwent a huge split over the issue of the definition of marriage. Naturally, my folks want to talk to me about what’s going on and my … Continue reading But They’re So Nice

I've encountered many who are just ditching marriage as a concept, and given the current meaninglessness of the term it's not surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      I've encountered many who are just ditching marriage as a concept, and given the current meaninglessness of the term it's not surprising.
      It's not that the term is meaningless, but that our culture no longer thinks in terms of essences and metaphysics. We don't bother to know what things are.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post

It's not that the term is meaningless, but that our culture no longer thinks in terms of essences and metaphysics. We don't bother to know what things are.
        I didn't mean the term is inherently meaningless, more so that our culture has degraded the term to meaninglessness in the public eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I didn't mean the term is inherently meaningless, more so that our culture has degraded the term to meaninglessness in the public eye.
          I never thought you did. Our culture is the problem indeed, not the terms.

Comment