Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Hooked On A Feeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooked On A Feeling

What's your goal?

---------------

What do we really want in our lives? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

One of my struggles I can often have is anxiety. There is always a state of fear at times hanging in the back of one's mind and mine is so overwhelming that I am actively on anxiety medication for it. When it really hits home, all you want is to feel peace. Unfortunately, it can often be the case that the more you resist anxiety and try to pursue peace, the worse it gets.

Many times, we have people saying they want to feel the love of God and the peace of God. That is understandable, but are we really wanting the love of God or the peace of God then, or do we want the feelings of them? Keep in mind, feeling the love of God doesn't mean that you are in the good graces of God. I do hold that God loves everyone, but that doesn't mean that all are in the place to truly enjoy His love.

This is not to say one's emotional state doesn't matter, but we often treat it like it is primary. The goal in life is to feel peace instead of being a person of peace. I can often do something to do with my anxiety, but am I getting better at learning how to do proper thinking to avoid the anxiety? Should it even be the goal to avoid anxiety always? There are times anxiety is a good thing to have.

The same applies to states of depression and sadness. There are times that you ought to be depressed and sad. If you hear some really bad news, there is nothing wrong with feeling sad. You should. If you are a Christian and you know that you have sinned, you ought also to feel sad. If you are repenting of something, that should put you in a place of contrition.

What needs to be done more often is emotions in correspondence to reality. The emotion isn't the goal. Living the way that we ought to isn't the goal and when we reach that, we can have the emotion perhaps. If it's a good emotion and it comes, we can enjoy it. If it's a painful emotion, we can learn to work through it.

If we focus on getting rid of a feeling, then we could be going through the wrong focus. If we get instead hooked on a good feeling, we can keep going from item to item in our lives, rather it be a person or an object or anything else. This is why relationships that are romantic can often fail. If we make the emotions the goal, then when the emotion fails, we can think the relationship has failed.

All of this is still something I am working on. I am on medication for anxiety now and I do hope that someday I will be able to get off of it and process anxiety normally, and if you are on medication for something, I don't have a problem with it, though I encourage you to get therapy at the same time, which I am doing.

Make sure you have the right focus. The focus is living properly in reality and being a good person. It is not on having or not having a feeling.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)
    What do we really want in our lives? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out. One of my struggles I can often have is anxiety. There is always a state of fear at times hanging in the back of one’s mind and mine is so overwhelming that I am actively on anxiety medication … Continue reading Hooked On A Feeling

Drat. I was hoping this was gonna be about the pleasure of making latch hook rugs.

No need to get up. I know my way out.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment