Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: On The Incarnation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Plunge: On The Incarnation

What has an old book to say to a new people?

---------------

What do I think of Athanasius's classic work? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

I had been doing some thinking on the incarnation and was looking for a book to read and I thought "Why not Athanasius?" After all, since it's an older work I can get it immediately on Kindle and it will be cheaper as well. Thus, each night I read a chapter of On The Incarnation before I went to bed. This is also one way you can recognize theological nerds. Our devotional reading is something like Athanasius. (I am also reading the complete church fathers on Kindle.)

As I got further into this work, I did begin to realize not what I was seeing, but what I was not seeing so much. I was not seeing a response to Arius. Arius isn't even mentioned. I even did a check to see if the book was written after the Council of Nicea and lo and behold, it was.

Keep in mind as I say that that none of that is said to attack the book or say one shouldn't read it. I don't want to attack it and I think people should read it. It's just to express an honest surprise to me. I came expecting to find such replies to questions like "Why didn't Jesus know the time of His return?" (For the record, I don't think He's talking about His return there, but the question still stands) or "Don't you know God can't die?"

What is found instead is indeed much more devotional literature. There are claims in there that I am sure the skeptics of Christianity in the day wouldn't accept just like those same claims would not be accepted by ours today. However, I am sure that there are some claims even skeptics would accept and it would lead to greater appreciation. Athanasius's work is not so much about the how of the incarnation as it is about the why of the incarnation and then about the facts of the results.

When the results are talked about, it's not so much the incarnation as it is along the lines of the books we have today talking about how the world has been changed for the better since the coming of Jesus. Many of these we may not be as able to verify being far away from the times, but the people back then could probably look at the world around them that had really just gone from being largely pagan influenced to now more and more if not largely Christian influenced.

So if you come to this book and you're expecting a defense of the incarnation, you're going to be let down on that front, but you should not be let down overall. After all, a book should not be faulted for not doing what it was never meant to do. Athanasius is wanting to use a likely new position he has to draw those under him into the worship of God and after just winning a major battle on the nature of the incarnation is wanting to show what a difference that makes. On this, He succeeds and how cannot really be shown best in this blog, but just by picking it up yourself and reading. If you want to, you can do what I did and read a chapter a night. There are 57 of them and they're all short.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)

What do I think of Athanasius’s classic work? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out. I had been doing some thinking on the incarnation and was looking for a book to read and I thought “Why not Athanasius?” After all, since it’s an older work I can get it immediately on Kindle and … Continue reading Book Plunge: On The Incarnation

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    What has an old book to say to a new people?

---------------

What do I think of Athanasius's classic work? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

I had been doing some thinking on the incarnation and was looking for a book to read and I thought "Why not Athanasius?" After all, since it's an older work I can get it immediately on Kindle and it will be cheaper as well. Thus, each night I read a chapter of On The Incarnation before I went to bed. This is also one way you can recognize theological nerds. Our devotional reading is something like Athanasius. (I am also reading the complete church fathers on Kindle.)

As I got further into this work, I did begin to realize not what I was seeing, but what I was not seeing so much. I was not seeing a response to Arius. Arius isn't even mentioned. I even did a check to see if the book was written after the Council of Nicea and lo and behold, it was.

Keep in mind as I say that that none of that is said to attack the book or say one shouldn't read it. I don't want to attack it and I think people should read it. It's just to express an honest surprise to me. I came expecting to find such replies to questions like "Why didn't Jesus know the time of His return?" (For the record, I don't think He's talking about His return there, but the question still stands) or "Don't you know God can't die?"

What is found instead is indeed much more devotional literature. There are claims in there that I am sure the skeptics of Christianity in the day wouldn't accept just like those same claims would not be accepted by ours today. However, I am sure that there are some claims even skeptics would accept and it would lead to greater appreciation. Athanasius's work is not so much about the how of the incarnation as it is about the why of the incarnation and then about the facts of the results.

When the results are talked about, it's not so much the incarnation as it is along the lines of the books we have today talking about how the world has been changed for the better since the coming of Jesus. Many of these we may not be as able to verify being far away from the times, but the people back then could probably look at the world around them that had really just gone from being largely pagan influenced to now more and more if not largely Christian influenced.

So if you come to this book and you're expecting a defense of the incarnation, you're going to be let down on that front, but you should not be let down overall. After all, a book should not be faulted for not doing what it was never meant to do. Athanasius is wanting to use a likely new position he has to draw those under him into the worship of God and after just winning a major battle on the nature of the incarnation is wanting to show what a difference that makes. On this, He succeeds and how cannot really be shown best in this blog, but just by picking it up yourself and reading. If you want to, you can do what I did and read a chapter a night. There are 57 of them and they're all short.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)

From what I recall, the general consensus is that "On the Incarnation" is one of Athanasius' earliest works, probably written before Nicaea. It's a companion piece to "On the Creation". As you noted, it's more apologetic than polemic.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

From what I recall, the general consensus is that "On the Incarnation" is one of Athanasius' earliest works, probably written before Nicaea. It's a companion piece to "On the Creation". As you noted, it's more apologetic than polemic.
      What I had read said it was after and he had recently become a bishop. Either way, I'm sure controversy was going on, but that doesn't seem to be addressed that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post

What I had read said it was after and he had recently become a bishop. Either way, I'm sure controversy was going on, but that doesn't seem to be addressed that much.
        I took a look at the 3 authors I have which broached the subject; Khaled Anatolios suggests between 328-335, Peter Leithart suggests either that or c. 318, and T.D. Barnes suggests the same, leaning toward just after Nicaea. Barnes suggests that it is modeled on Eusebius' Theophany from a different theological viewpoint, and that it was written to burnish his credentials as a worthy successor to Alexander as Bishop of Alexandria (hence the non-polemial tone). Barnes is somewhat hostile to Athanasius (he favors Eusebius), but IMO his suggestion is plausible.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment