Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: The Gaming Mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Plunge: The Gaming Mind

How do games affect us? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

--------------

What do I think of Alexander Kriss's book published by The Experiment? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

I listened to this book on Audible while I was often out walking. Kind of funny that I was listening to it that way since usually I would be playing Pokemon Go at the same time. Kriss is a psychologist and not only does he write about games, he's an avid gamer himself, whether it's a video game or even D&D with his friends.

When he's with some of his staff at a mental institution, they talk about a patient who's been administered and the lady bringing him in describes him as "One of those gamer guys." Kriss, in I am sure a protocol breaking moment, asks "What games does he play?" Most of the people around the table were probably sure that gaming was the kid's problem. Kriss instead sees it as part of the personality of the person he is dealing with.

Kriss then wants to know what games the person plays and why and often finds clues to how they interact with people in that. I was sure I was going to enjoy this book when I heard the first chapter was called "Me, You, and Silent Hill 2.". I have never played the Silent Hill games, but I have heard enough about them that I recognized much of what Kriss said.

He talks about also a topic that seems to be popular today of gaming addiction. Sometimes, it seems like it's an obvious case. What about the lady who never played games at all really and could not stop playing Candy Crush? Most people would try to break the addiction, but Kriss decides to study her more and then they find out why she plays so much, find a much deeper solution, and she now plays the game still, but not to the obsessive length she did before. The underlying issue has been dealt with.

What about the boy who plays Minecraft constantly? As it turns out, Kriss didn't take his side or his mother's side, but eventually got to the point where the mother learned to understand what the child was doing in Minecraft and it led to such great conversations that the talks are now called the Minecraft Moments. Had gaming just been seen as a problem, this would never have happened.

Throughout the book, many issues are dealt with such as kids not being social due to video games or anything of that sort. What about the possibility of kids turning violent because of video games? Many of us know that this is really nonsense, but too many still think there's a lot of truth to it.

As a gamer myself, I saw a lot of valuable insight in this and I'm still mulling over it. Why is it that RPGs tend to be my favorite type of game or why while I played several Mario games growing up, Link was the main hero I gravitated towards? Why is it that even as a Seminarian, gaming is still a major part of my life?

One great aspect of it definitely is the social aspect. I have friends I play Final Fantasy XIV with and when I had my first get together with students here, it involved playing video games. We played some Uno after, but we definitely played video games. These are bonders and as someone on the spectrum, I wonder if I would have made any friends growing up without the connection of games? I even think my being in seminary is a result of that as I see it as a part of the battle of good and evil.

If you are interested in gaming, I recommend that you get this book. If you are a parent of a child and you are concerned, I recommend this as well. Basically, if you love games or love someone who does, this is a great read to get. You can order it here.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)
    What do I think of Alexander Kriss’s book published by The Experiment? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out. I listened to this book on Audible while I was often out walking. Kind of funny that I was listening to it that way since usually I would be playing Pokemon Go at the … Continue reading Book Plunge: The Gaming Mind