Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Abstinence and the Virgin Birth (Which I do affirm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abstinence and the Virgin Birth (Which I do affirm)

Is this a valid point against the virgin birth, which I do affirm?

------------

Is there a problem with holding to abstinence and the virgin birth (Which I do affirm)? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

This one has been going around Facebook a bit and as the main virgin birth guy (Which I do affirm), I figure I should be the one to address it. Looking at this, I do wonder what the main contention is. As is the problem with memes, it’s rarely clear.

So let’s consider if it’s a moral objection. Can you believe in the virgin birth, which I do affirm, and still believe in practicing abstinence? Yes. You recognize that this is a miracle that has taken place and that Mary herself did nothing wrong in this case.

By the way, along those lines, all Christians know that there are other forms of birth control. What we do know also is that when practiced, abstinence is the only one that is 100% effective. For most of the world today, it’s just incredible to think of a person going through life without having sex. The premise of a movie like the 40 Year-Old Virgin is meant to be obvious.

So let’s go the more likely route. It’s meant to poke fun at us for believing in something that is unscientific. After all, this involves a miracle and don’t we know that those never happen.

At this, I think even the most hardened skeptic would not want to try to take on the burden that there has never been a miracle in history and have to demonstrate this. How could you even begin to do that? What is more likely to be argued is that we do not have sufficient evidence to believe that a miracle has taken place in history.

Thus, we get to the first problem. There is really no way to establish that a miracle has never taken place in history so why should it be treated with incredulity that a miracle has taken place. I actually call this the argument from incredulity. The problem is it only works if you accept a worldview at the start that says miracles never happen.

Imagine if I made a similar argument.

Christians: We know Christianity is true.

Atheist: How?

Christian: Because Jesus rose from the dead.

Atheist: And how do we know that?

Christian: Because Christianity is true.

If you take at the start that a naturalistic philosophy is true and a miracle has never taken place, then obviously, a virgin birth, which I do affirm, has never taken place. However, that is the very claim under question. Has a miracle ever taken place?

If you affirm the existing of God and have reasons for believing in such, then you have a basis for believing that a miracle has taken place or at least could take place. If someone wants to mock that because atheism is true or some version of metaphysics that denies miracles, then they need to establish that. Whatever your worldview, it does not work to go to the other side and say “Your position is laughable because it disagrees with my position.”

In the end, I see no reason you cannot both affirm the virgin birth, which I do affirm, and consistently practice abstinence. Issues about birth control can be debated among ourselves. This is just more of the type of argument from incredulity that works on those with the mindset already of materialism, but not much of anyone else. It has strong rhetorical pull, but nothing logical behind it.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)
    Is there a problem with holding to abstinence and the virgin birth (Which I do affirm)? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out. This one has been going around Facebook a bit and as the main virgin birth guy (Which I do affirm), I figure I should be the one to address it. … Continue reading Abstinence and the Virgin Birth (Which I do affirm)

I'm not sure there are very many folks who think the only birth control is abstinence. OTOH, there are many who think that abstinence is the best form of birth control.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The belief in a virgin birth stems from a mistranslation and what constituted a "virgin" among first century Jews could be quite complicated.

I would also add that those who practise prolonged and enforced celibacy can suffer serious psychological issues.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Simple fact: The gospel states that Mary declared that she did not know a man and asked, that being the case, how she could possibly fall pregnant.
        Fairy tales about the significance of the translation of "parthenos" are wholly irrelevant. The actual interpretation of the word is derived from the aformentioned context.
        Last edited by tabibito; 08-10-2022, 04:42 AM.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          Simple fact: The gospel states that Mary declared that she did not know a man and asked, that being the case, how she could possibly fall pregnant.
          Yet only the one gospel. Matthew mentions the holy spirit which has a distinct Hellenistic undertone!
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            Yet only the one gospel. Matthew mentions the holy spirit which has a distinct Hellenistic undertone!
            When something is mentioned by more than one Gospel -- particularly if they agree on all the details -- atheist scoffers immediately cry "collusion"

It's a no-win situation.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              When something is mentioned by more than one Gospel -- particularly if they agree on all the details -- atheist scoffers immediately cry "collusion"

It's a no-win situation.
              The virgin birth is a myth - a charming one in some ways - but still a myth.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

The virgin birth is a myth - a charming one in some ways - but still a myth.
                That is your opinion -- one not based on facts -- but still just your opinion.

H_A-dude.gif

Comment

That is your opinion -- one not based on facts -- but still just your opinion.

The fact is that as a mammal she could not have produced offspring without a male being involved.

Furthermore, stories of gods descending and impregnating mortal women to produce demi-gods or heroes was not exactly unknown in the Hellenised world of the first century.
                  Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 08-10-2022, 07:46 AM.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Much of the standard (orthodox) theology, developed during the late third century and after, is influenced by Hellenistic philosophy, true enough. The gospels predate that trend, as do a number of works by early writers referencing the virgin birth, Ignatius included.

Oddly enough, people of the first century considered a male's participation to be imperative in the process of procreation.
                    Last edited by tabibito; 08-10-2022, 08:13 AM.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Well guys.I guess we've been shown up. It's a fact you need a man and a woman to procreate. Who knew?!

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                        Well guys.I guess we've been shown up. It's a fact you need a man and a woman to procreate. Who knew?!
                        I never did get the facts of life speech from my parents.

This thread has been a real eyeopener.

Comment

I never did get the facts of life speech from my parents.

This thread has been a real eyeopener.
                          And let's not forget, even though the Jews right in the very first book have the Holy Spirit, it's obviously better when reading a Jewish document to look to Greek ideas for backing first.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post

And let's not forget, even though the Jews right in the very first book have the Holy Spirit, it's obviously better when reading a Jewish document to look to Greek ideas for backing first.
                            I really should be taking notes.

Comment

Much of the standard (orthodox) theology, developed during the late third century and after, is influenced by Hellenistic philosophy, true enough. The gospels predate that trend, as do a number of works by early writers referencing the virgin birth, Ignatius included.
                              The Gospels were written in Greek. Ignatius of Antioch came from the Greek speaking world.

Oddly enough, people of the first century considered a male's participation to be imperative in the process of procreation.
                              Regardless of the ideas at the time concerning pregnancy and gestation and the role of men and women in that process, without a male partner to provide the necessary motile spermatozoon - there would be no offspring.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment