Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Abstinence and the Virgin Birth (Which I do affirm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larry Hurtado. Early Christian Monotheism. Blog
    ... (2) that the standard dictionary definition is belief in the existence of only one God (or, correspondingly, denial of the existence of any other gods). All our evidence of ancient Jewish tradition is either inconclusive about whether the existence of other deities was denied, or else is pretty clear that their existence wasn’t denied. Ancient Jews (and Christians) seem to have been more concerned to refuse the worship of other deities, and not so much their existence.

Larry Hurtado is one of the leading lights in the theological world, so cue the objections that
    1/ His comments are not in an accredited peer reviewed paper
    2/ His comments are invalid because he is a Christian.

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      Larry Hurtado. Early Christian Monotheism. Blog
      ... (2) that the standard dictionary definition is belief in the existence of only one God (or, correspondingly, denial of the existence of any other gods). All our evidence of ancient Jewish tradition is either inconclusive about whether the existence of other deities was denied, or else is pretty clear that their existence wasn’t denied. Ancient Jews (and Christians) seem to have been more concerned to refuse the worship of other deities, and not so much their existence.

Larry Hurtado is one of the leading lights in the theological world, so cue the objections that
      1/ His comments are not in an accredited peer reviewed paper
      2/ His comments are invalid because he is a Christian.
      I read that blog as well. However, those three sentences have no bearing on the following comment, for which you have still failed to provide an iota of attested evidence.

Even as late as the fourth century, monotheism was not particularly endorsed by Christian leaders.

"It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I read that blog as well. However, those three sentences have no bearing on the following comment, for which you have still failed to provide an iota of attested evidence.
        Hurtado's blog is enough to show that I have reasonable grounds for making the claim. You're the one gainsaying what I said. Provide some evidence that you have grounds for doing so.

Also worth adding: Hurtado has a bit more than just those few things to say about the matter. Either you didn't bother to read the blog or you're misrepresenting it.
        Last edited by tabibito; 08-13-2022, 03:24 PM.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Hurtado's blog is enough to show that I have reasonable grounds for making the claim. You're the one gainsaying what I said. Provide some evidence that you have grounds for doing so.

Also worth adding: Hurtado has a bit more than just those few things to say about the matter. Either you didn't bother to read the blog or you're misrepresenting it.
          Hurtado is a recognised academic. However, you cannot produce a short blog by one academic on a very complex topic and then pronounce [premised on that short blog] that you have "reasonable grounds for making the claim". Hurtado's view is not the definitive position on this complex issue. Indeed entire collections of works by various academics exist on all these topics. And as is the case, those individuals have their own [and often contradictory] opinions.

However, that all you have managed to produce with regard to your position has been the citing of some verses from Paul, a link to an online blog, and one paper [also available online] does not sit with your earlier contention [pertaining to the alleged plethora of information in your possession] that:

Sifting through would take some hours, perhaps days.

Unless that was a reference to your having to engage in a lot of Googling.

Nor does it go anyway towards demonstrating [i.e. by providing attested historical evidence] that:

Even as late as the fourth century, monotheism was not particularly endorsed by Christian leaders.

"It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Hurtado is a recognised academic. However, you cannot produce a short blog by one academic on a very complex topic and then pronounce [premised on that short blog] that you have "reasonable grounds for making the claim". Hurtado's view is not the definitive position on this complex issue. Indeed entire collections of works by various academics exist on all these topics. And as is the case, those individuals have their own [and often contradictory] opinions.
            A topic so complex that you see fit to disparage an assessment without bothering to consider whether it might have merit.

To date all I have had only gleanings from translations of scattered source documents as a basis for my conclusion. Providing evidence on that basis (even if I were to take the trouble of sifting through it again) would only see you, yet again, disparage evidence that you demonstrate neither the wit nor the will to evaluate. Hurtado's blog opens the way to finding something better organised than what I have. Assuming that is, that I choose to do so.
            Last edited by tabibito; 08-13-2022, 10:07 PM.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

A topic so complex that you see fit to disparage an assessment without bothering to consider whether it might have merit.

To date all I have had only gleanings from translations of scattered source documents as a basis for my conclusion. Providing evidence on that basis (even if I were to take the trouble of sifting through it again) would only see you, yet again, disparage evidence that you demonstrate neither the wit nor the will to evaluate. Hurtado's blog opens the way to finding something better organised than what I have. Assuming that is, that I choose to do so.
              I have not disparaged Hurtado's blog. It is simply not enough as the basis for your contentions.

Nor is the onus on me to do anything. You wrote this:

I have asked you for some attested historical evidence in support of that comment and all you have done is evade my request.

"It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I have not disparaged Hurtado's blog. It is simply not enough as the basis for your contentions.

Nor is the onus on me to do anything. You wrote this:

I have asked you for some attested historical evidence in support of that comment and all you have done is evade my request.

There is no onus on you to substantiate your claims, but there is on me to substantiate mine?
                Bulldust.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

There is no onus on you to substantiate your claims, but there is on me to substantiate mine?
                  Bulldust.
                  You made the comment that:

I did not.

"It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You made the comment
                    I did not.
                    You contradicted my claim without bothering to provide any support for your opposing viewpoint.

There is no more onus on me to substantiate my claim than there is on you to substantiate your counter claim.

It's a safe bet that you couldn't substantiate your claim: if you had been able to do so, you would have delighted in making a big show of how superior you think your knowledge is, and posted that information in detail. (peppered of course with your wonted denigration and self aggrandisement.)
                    Last edited by tabibito; 08-14-2022, 04:15 AM.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

You contradicted my claim without bothering to provide any support for your opposing viewpoint.

There is no more onus on me to substantiate my claim than there is on you to substantiate your counter claim.

It's a safe bet that you couldn't substantiate your claim: if you had been able to do so, you would have delighted in making a big show of how superior you think your knowledge is, and posted that information in detail. (peppered of course with your wonted denigration and self aggrandisement.)
                      This is getting tedious. You made the following comment. .

I asked you to substantiate that remark and you have done nothing but procrastinate and evade.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

You made the comment that:

I did not.
                        He made a claim. You disputed it.

The onus is on both of you to support your claims.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Enter the chorus - stage left.

I did not dispute his comment here:

I asked him:

What evidence are you citing for that statement?

"It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Enter the chorus - stage left.
                            Main act. Lifted through a trap door center stage. Get it right.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Esther View Post

Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit and then born of the virgin Mary. This is part of the miracle of Jesus. From his birth, to his death to his resurrection.

The conception was spiritual. Not as you picture it below:
                              That is so. The Biblical record shows that Logos became flesh, a human no different from any other; though not of human origin.

That is a long way removed from the concept of a demi-god.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I gave enough supporting information to show that my claim is not without merit. I figure it's past time to at least try to resume the thread.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment