Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

No. Jesus was not Predicting the Transfiguration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No. Jesus was not Predicting the Transfiguration

What is being talked about?

------------

Is the Transfiguration a prophecy fulfillment? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

The Transfiguration shows up in each of the Synoptic Gospels. Before each of them comes another passage.

Matthew 16:

27 For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done.

28 “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

Mark 9:

1: And he said to them, “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see that the kingdom of God has come with power.”

Luke 9:

26 Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.

27 “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God.”

It makes sense to a lot of people to say that this is predicting the transfiguration. Unfortunately, both internet atheists and Christians often have the same problem. This verse is read in a literal sense often due to modern dispensationalism, but does it really fit to say this event is the fulfillment?

No.

Okay. See you next time!

Oh?

You want more than that?

Okay.

Let's start with the fact that this event takes place a week later in the Gospels. By that, it's usually not a great prophecy to predict something happening a week from now. Let's suppose even if we went with something like the 2024 presidential election which at this point is in the future. Make a prediction a week before it happens and all things being equal, you likely have a 50% chance of being right. Predict something no one thinks is even possible and you might be on to something.

Not only that, but it's hard to see how this event is the Kingdom of God coming in power. I would have no problem saying that this is a hint of what is coming. I suspect that this is part of the reason these passages are closely tied together.

Another problem with this is saying "Some here will not taste death until they see this." Not only is it hardly a prediction to say "Some people here will not die before a week passes", but it's also not really a lot of some if that some consists of just three people.

This passage is also not about the return of Christ. No one had any thought really of Jesus leaving let alone returning at this point. This is something internet atheists often think is being talked about, yet they never do show where that is in the passage. It's read into it.

As an Orthodox Preterist, I think the Kingdom of God coming into power being demonstrated was at 70 A.D. with the destruction of the temple. That would make sense also with the prediction of some would not die. It is something to say some would still be alive around 40 years later, especially in an age where most people had short lifespans.

Christians need to realize Jesus is talking about something deeper than the Transfiguration and something that should have given His listeners, and us today, pause. Internet atheists need to realize this is apocalyptic language and not read it so woodenly. If someone thinks it's about the return of Christ, it's on them to show it.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)

Is the Transfiguration a prophecy fulfillment? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out. The Transfiguration shows up in each of the Synoptic Gospels. Before each of them comes another passage. Matthew 16: 27 For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person … Continue reading No. Jesus Was Not Predicting The Transfiguration

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post

As an Orthodox Preterist, I think the Kingdom of God coming into power being demonstrated was at 70 A.D. with the destruction of the temple.
    How did God demonstrate this coming into power at 70 A.D.?

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post

How did God demonstrate this coming into power at 70 A.D.?
      It was the vindication of his Christ and the new covenant over those who rejected and killed Jesus. The destruction of Jerusalem and the temple was the final passing away of the old covenant since the new and better covenant had come under Jesus.
      We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post

It was the vindication of his Christ and the new covenant over those who rejected and killed Jesus. The destruction of Jerusalem and the temple was the final passing away of the old covenant since the new and better covenant had come under Jesus.
        Ok thanks for this interpretation and explanation. It is such a strange way of seeing things but thanks.

I mean who knew there had to be a final passing away of the old covenant when Jesus ushered in the new one at the last supper.

Comment

Ok thanks for this interpretation and explanation. It is such a strange way of seeing things but thanks.

I mean who knew there had to be a final passing away of the old covenant when Jesus ushered in the new one at the last supper.
          Jesus did predict the destruction of the temple in the Olivet Discourse, although I'm not entirely sure that the disciples would have understood that as the passing of the old covenant at the time. But in the main, I draw my position largely from the author of Hebrews (which I believe was written before 70AD) who makes that connection plain.

Scripture Verse: Hebrews 8:13

When he speaks of a new covenant, he makes the first obsolete. Now what is growing obsolete and aging is about to disappear.

The NET Bible First Edition

© Copyright Original Source

Scripture Verse: Hebrews 10:9

10:9 then he says, “Here I am: I have come to do your will.” He does away with the first to establish the second.

Comment

Jesus did predict the destruction of the temple in the Olivet Discourse, although I'm not entirely sure that the disciples would have understood that as the passing of the old covenant at the time. But in the main, I draw my position largely from the author of Hebrews (which I believe was written before 70AD) who makes that connection plain.

Scripture Verse: Hebrews 8:13

When he speaks of a new covenant, he makes the first obsolete. Now what is growing obsolete and aging is about to disappear.

Scripture Verse: Hebrews 10:9

10:9 then he says, “Here I am: I have come to do your will.” He does away with the first to establish the second.

Saa. But when did the testator die?
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Saa. But when did the testator die?
              If by testator you mean the author of Hebrews, since the book's author is not named it isn't known. If, as many hold, that Paul was the author then he died under Nero circa 64-67 AD.

Comment

If by testator you mean the author of Hebrews, since the book's author is not named it isn't known. If, as many hold, that Paul was the author then he died under Nero circa 64-67 AD.
                According to the author of Hebrews, a covenant/testament isn't brought into effect until the testator dies. (Hebrews 9:16-17)  So - whose death ushered in the New Covenant/Testament?
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

According to the author of Hebrews, a covenant/testament isn't brought into effect until the testator dies. (Hebrews 9:16-17)  So - whose death ushered in the New Covenant/Testament?
                  Ahh, I see - that wasn't a term I've ever heard before. Anyway, Jesus was the testator who ushered in the new covenant as I understand it. At the Last Supper he inaugurated what was predicted in Jeremiah 31:31-34 when he took the cup and said "this is the new covenant in my blood". And he died the next day, but God raised him from the dead. This also squares with my understanding of Communion/Lord's Table where we take the bread and "wine" (grape juice since I'm American ) and, as Paul says, proclaim the Lord's death until he comes - which I take to mean we reaffirm our participation in the new covenant.

*edit for correct reference of the new covenant
                  Last edited by alaskazimm; 06-21-2022, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Also to add that the 40ish year period between the inauguration of the new covenant and the final passing away of the old is not without parallel in the Old Testament where the generation of Israel who refused to enter the Promised Land died as they wandered for 40 years in the wilderness. Likewise, God granted a 40 year period for those who were under the old covenant to enter the new before judgement came in the form of the Roman armies. Maybe not an exact parallel but intriguing I think.

*edit to add a not in the proper place

Comment

I agree Jesus predicted the destruction of the temple but I do not see the connection between God demonstrating His power and the destroying of the temple in 70AD? How did God demonstrate His power? Not being obtuse but the Romans destroyed the temple?

Do you believe Jesus came back to earth after he ascended into heaven from the mount of Olives where the disciples saw him caught up into the air? I am just trying to get my head around the preterist view because it is so foreign to me.

Comment

I agree Jesus predicted the destruction of the temple but I do not see the connection between God demonstrating His power and the destroying of the temple in 70AD? How did God demonstrate His power? Not being obtuse but the Romans destroyed the temple?

Do you believe Jesus came back to earth after he ascended into heaven from the mount of Olives where the disciples saw him caught up into the air? I am just trying to get my head around the preterist view because it is so foreign to me.

There is a problem with the Koine Greek to English mismatch in the interpretations of "coming" and "in." Erchomai can mean either come or go, and en can mean into (among a host of sub definitions). A preterist will interpret "erchomai en" as "coming into," where a futurist will interpret "erchomai en" as "going into," which would lead to the conclusion that the ascension fulfils the statement.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The long and the short of it is that this was God demonstrating his power (authority) in judgement of those who killed his son and clung to the old covenant. They were judged and the means of keeping the old were removed. The Romans did indeed destroy the temple, but they were the instrument God used to judged the tenants of the vineyard who killed his son. The coming of Christ in that instance was not a physical coming but a coming in judgement on the nation in the same way that God came in judgement on Israel and Judah and used Assyria and Babylon as his instruments. See Isaiah 4:4, Isaiah 13:5, Isaiah 19:1 among other for language of God coming in judgement on a nation and using others as his instrument.

Preterists do not believe that Jesus has come again as in the second coming. At least the orthodox preterists don't.

I hope this helps somewhat; I'm not a very good wordsmith when writing.

Comment