Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Margaret Sanger and the Klan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

I see what you did there.
    I knew I shoulda wrote mooses.

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    The elk was cited to illustrate just how nuts these folks were. And isn't moose …
    I see what you did there.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

There’s room for discussion on the difference between legal and illegal removal, but not all the examples were valid.

Elk are linked to Canadians.
    The elk was cited to illustrate just how nuts these folks were. And isn't moose rather than elks associated with Canuckistan. When I think of elks I think of Scandinavia -- although I vaguely remember something about moose being called elk in Vikingland.

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    The Wiki entry was just pointing out that he was well within his rights to have sold the manumission papers, and he was in financial difficulties (something Grant seemed to be in most of his life), but didn't. You have to wonder how many other people in those circumstances would have done the right thing. And I was just noting the value in modern terms.

But at least you recognize the validity of the examples unlike someone else still seeking a way to deny them.
    There’s room for discussion on the difference between legal and illegal removal, but not all the examples were valid.

Elk are linked to Canadians.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Thanks for the examples, but yikes! No, we don’t give people credit for the funds they could have received by making a man pay for being freed from slavery. What were you thinking.
    The Wiki entry was just pointing out that he was well within his rights to have sold the manumission papers, and he was in financial difficulties (something Grant seemed to be in most of his life), but didn't. You have to wonder how many other people in those circumstances would have done the right thing. And I was just noting the value in modern terms.

But at least you recognize the validity of the examples unlike someone else still seeking a way to deny them.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I'm sorry, but which of those statues were torn down because of ties to racism?
    The statues of those racist cops[1] who were killed on duty and the bust of that slaveholder (who never made him work and soon freed him). And the statue of Hans Christian Heg WAS targeted as a statue of a racist and even after the morons realized they tore down a statue of someone who actually led a militia that targeted slave-catchers in Wisconsin some of them shrugged their shoulders and declared that it represented systemic racism of the state.

1. BLM and other leftists kept telling us that the police are inherently racist -- which was a major reason they wanted them defunded.

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    A grand in 1859 is equivalent to about $30,000 in 2020 and a whole lot more after old Joe gets done.
    Thanks for the examples, but yikes! No, we don’t give people credit for the funds they could have received by making a man pay for being freed from slavery. What were you thinking.

Leave a comment:

• Stoic
    replied
    After the OP made the statement that "statues, books, and paintings removed for the most tenuous links to racism," Stoic challenged its veracity:

Admittedly this was not directed to me but I knew of a couple instances that would qualify (even if I had some of the details wrong about one regarding Hans Christian Heg), so I figured that I'd post them and confirm that was indeed the case (although I'm only personally aware of statues).

If y'all want to explain or rationalize those acts, that's fine by me, but the fact is that it happened, which was what was called into question.
    I'm sorry, but which of those statues were torn down because of ties to racism?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Rioters aren't known for their rationality. If this was a thread decrying the senselessness of riots and rioters, then your examples would be appropriate (except for the Pioneer statue, which was removed due to protests by native Americans), and there would be no argument.

But the OP is comparing the treatment of Sanger to the treatment of people who have "the most tenuous links to racism", and if rioters had come across a statue of Margaret Sanger, they probably would have torn that down, too. The question is whether there are any examples of people who were no more connected to racism than Sanger who have been treated worse than Sanger, by people who were actually thinking about what they were doing.
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Agreed. Rioters tend to destroy anything willy-nilly, including local businesses. If we are to be consistent, we should be arguing that the black-owned businesses that were destroyed in Minneapolis were being torn down due to a purported tie to white supremacy.

After the OP made the statement that "statues, books, and paintings removed for the most tenuous links to racism," Stoic challenged its veracity:

Do you have any examples of this happening? It seems beyond extreme to me.

Admittedly this was not directed to me but I knew of a couple instances that would qualify (even if I had some of the details wrong about one regarding Hans Christian Heg), so I figured that I'd post them and confirm that was indeed the case (although I'm only personally aware of statues).

If y'all want to explain or rationalize those acts, that's fine by me, but the fact is that it happened, which was what was called into question.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied

Rioters aren't known for their rationality. If this was a thread decrying the senselessness of riots and rioters, then your examples would be appropriate (except for the Pioneer statue, which was removed due to protests by native Americans), and there would be no argument.

But the OP is comparing the treatment of Sanger to the treatment of people who have "the most tenuous links to racism", and if rioters had come across a statue of Margaret Sanger, they probably would have torn that down, too. The question is whether there are any examples of people who were no more connected to racism than Sanger who have been treated worse than Sanger, by people who were actually thinking about what they were doing.
    Agreed. Rioters tend to destroy anything willy-nilly, including local businesses. If we are to be consistent, we should be arguing that the black-owned businesses that were destroyed in Minneapolis were being torn down due to a purported tie to white supremacy.

Leave a comment:

• Stoic
    replied
    Like the bust of Ulysses S. Grant that was torn down in San Francisco? Grant is probably best known for leading the Union army in its victory over the Confederacy which led to the abolishment of slavery.

While it is true that he did once own a slave for a short time, as Wikipedia explains

The same year, Grant acquired a slave from his father-in-law, a thirty-five-year-old man named William Jones.[100] Although Grant was not an abolitionist, he was not considered a "slavery man", and could not bring himself to force a slave to do work.[101] In March 1859, Grant freed William by a manumission deed, potentially worth at least $1,000, when Grant needed the money.[102]

A grand in 1859 is equivalent to about $30,000 in 2020 and a whole lot more after old Joe gets done.

There was a story about a Revolutionary War hero who was also an abolitionist getting his statue toppled which caused a good deal of commotion when it happened but I cannot find any details right now, so how about the statue in Richmond, Virginia dedicated to the police of that city killed in the line of duty? It was vandalized twice by rioters forcing its removal to prevent its destruction

Similarly, the Delaware Law Enforcement Memorial in Dover had the statue of a kneeling cop partially decapitated causing it to be removed for repairs.

There was also the Pioneer Statue in Oregon, which depicted a trapper, and had nothing to do with racism or slavery, but was vandalized and removed basically because it celebrated pioneers -- who were white and therefore obviously evil.

The Thomas Elk Fountain in Portland, Oregon, which features a statue of an Elk, was also damaged by rioters. I guess the elk was racist.

ETA: It wasn't a Revolutionary War figure who was an abolitionist, but rather a Union officer who was killed in combat at Chickamauga and was an abolitionist by the name of Hans Christian Heg. His statue was torn down, decapitated and thrown into a nearby river by BLM rioters in Madison, Wisconsin.

Again, to be clear, this was the statue honoring a Union officer who died fighting the Confederacy, who was an abolitionist, and who's statue was torn down and vandalized by some "mostly peaceful protestors"

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Like the bust of Ulysses S. Grant that was torn down in San Francisco? Grant is probably best known for leading the Union army in its victory over the Confederacy which led to the abolishment of slavery.

While it is true that he did once own a slave for a short time, as Wikipedia explains

The same year, Grant acquired a slave from his father-in-law, a thirty-five-year-old man named William Jones.[100] Although Grant was not an abolitionist, he was not considered a "slavery man", and could not bring himself to force a slave to do work.[101] In March 1859, Grant freed William by a manumission deed, potentially worth at least $1,000, when Grant needed the money.[102]

There was a story about a Revolutionary War hero who was also an abolitionist getting his statue toppled which caused a good deal of commotion when it happened but I cannot find any details right now, so how about the statue in Richmond, Virginia dedicated to the police of that city killed in the line of duty? It was vandalized twice by rioters forcing its removal to prevent its destruction

Similarly, the Delaware Law Enforcement Memorial in Dover had the statue of a kneeling cop partially decapitated causing it to be removed for repairs.

There was also the Pioneer Statue in Oregon, which depicted a trapper, and had nothing to do with racism or slavery, but was vandalized and removed basically because it celebrated pioneers -- who were white and therefore obviously evil.

The Thomas Elk Fountain in Portland, Oregon, which features a statue of an Elk, was also damaged by rioters. I guess the elk was racist.

ETA: It wasn't a Revolutionary War figure who was an abolitionist, but rather a Union officer who was killed in combat at Chickamauga and was an abolitionist by the name of Hans Christian Heg. His statue was torn down, decapitated and thrown into a nearby river by BLM rioters in Madison, Wisconsin.

Again, to be clear, this was the statue honoring a Union officer who died fighting the Confederacy, who was an abolitionist, and who's statue was torn down and vandalized by some "mostly peaceful protestors"

Last edited by rogue06; 05-26-2022, 07:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post

I'm not sure what's insufficient about what I shared from Douglas Murray.
    You claimed that folks with tenuous connections to racism were having their statues removed. You were asked for examples. You responded with a weblink. Arguing by weblink is frowned about around here. Nevertheless your respondent watched the video. He didn’t find an example.

Enough.

Provide an example or retract. Please.

And while you’re at it, feel free to explain how Sanger encouraging white supremacists to practice birth control promotes white supremacism.

Leave a comment:

• Apologiaphoenix
    replied

I didn't see any examples there of your claim: "Some people have had statues, books, and paintings removed for the most tenuous links to racism, even if it was their ancestors and not them themselves."

The closest thing I found was Ted Hughes being (mis)identified as being associated with slavery. His works were never removed, though, nor (AFAICT) was there ever any plan to do so.
    I'm not sure what's insufficient about what I shared from Douglas Murray.

Leave a comment:

• Stoic
    replied
    Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    I didn't see any examples there of your claim: "Some people have had statues, books, and paintings removed for the most tenuous links to racism, even if it was their ancestors and not them themselves."

The closest thing I found was Ted Hughes being (mis)identified as being associated with slavery. His works were never removed, though, nor (AFAICT) was there ever any plan to do so.

Leave a comment: