Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

It's An Aspie Thing. Try To Understand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's An Aspie Thing. Try To Understand

Could you be misreading someone?

------------

Is someone on the spectrum rude? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Being on the spectrum, I find I tend to want to communicate non-verbally. Even at times when I want to express myself, I find it difficult to do so. There is some perceivably insurmountable mental barrier that pops up in my own head to keep me from speaking. Now some of you have heard me speak several times and wonder what is going on with that. Am I verbal or non-verbal?

Non-verbal is often because I don’t know if I can trust someone and I don’t think words are necessary. I am quite sure that suffering the sting of divorce doesn’t help. This is also in public. Even before I was married, I remember working at the Wal-Mart and being asked to be a greeter. I had to be one of the worst ever. I couldn’t ever work up the nerve to greet someone.

I should point out that there are still other ways to get me to speak. One is to find a point of connection. There was a time I was at Celebrate Recovery with my ex years ago when she was talking to someone and I was across the room and could only pick up bits and pieces. Later she told me that the guy talking to her was asking about me since I don’t seem to talk to anyone. She said, “You have to talk to him about something he likes to get into his world, like apologetics.” At this, the guy started asking her about what that was and before she could respond, I had shown up saying “Did somebody say apologetics?” The same can happen if I can connect with something like books and/or video games.

The problem is sometimes, people can assume that you are rude. As I have said, autism is an invisible illness. People do not see clearly that you are on the spectrum, though I do have a bracelet I wear that speaks about autism awareness, but then someone who is just sympathetic to the cause could do that.

I am again working at Wal-Mart and yesterday a pair of ladies comes to the self check-out where I am working and one of them asks if a machine takes cash. I nod my head. She asks if that’s a yes. I nod again. As I am walking back and forth through the area I come near her and I hear her complaining.

“If I had an employee who just nodded his head, he wouldn’t have a job. It’s disrespectful and rude to the customers and to the elders.” There were several other complaints along those lines. Now for me, I find this interesting. Here someone is complaining about someone out loud while they are there and then complaining about them being disrespectful. Something I have found is that the people who make the biggest deal about manners can sometimes be the rudest.

However, i also thought, “What if I was different?” I don’t mean what if I wasn’t on the spectrum, but what if I didn’t have an inner resilience and didn’t have a strong biblical basis for identity in Christ? What if I was someone who was entirely non-verbal and heard all this stuff going on? How devastated could I be?

Now keep in mind, I am not saying that people on the spectrum cannot be rude. Of course, we can be. However, just because someone perceives something as rude doesn’t mean that it is. Those who know me know I will tend to go out of the way to help someone.

Why write this? Because you could meet someone like me someday and you could be left thinking they are rude. Maybe they are, or maybe there is something you cannot see. I can assure you from my perspective that if you try to give a lecture on manners or anything like that, it doesn’t have the effect you want. When people do that to me, it leaves me wanting to speak to them even less.

It is Autism Awareness Month and I do realize it isn’t talked about nearly as much as other history months. I guess we’re not as politically advantageous. I hope readers of this blog will be different and remember that your comments could be extremely hard on someone on the spectrum and that you can’t see if they are or not just by looking. Don’t be what you condemn in someone else.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)
    Is someone on the spectrum rude? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out. Being on the spectrum, I find I tend to want to communicate non-verbally. Even at times when I want to express myself, I find it difficult to do so. There is some perceivably insurmountable mental barrier that pops up in … Continue reading It’s An Aspie Thing. Try To Understand.

Autism is definitely one of the less visible disabilities. I've encountered a lot of people who were diagnosed late in life. Apparently it is more common among women to be diagnosed late or even misdiagnosed.

Comment

I appreciate your difficulties, Nick. I've got a nephew with the same issues. I think you might benefit from having this mapped out.

Communication forms are best reciprocated, verbal with verbal, written with written, gesture with gesture, in decreasing order of interaction. You can always increase the level of interaction that's offered, but decreasing it will be seen as rude, independent of your intent. This rule is relevant with peers, and even more so in cases of unbalanced authority, child to parent, employee to supervisor ... and service worker to customer. Her reaction was normal and predictable.

You don't make it clear who was receiving the complaint or what outcome resulted. Please note that your medical condition is a protected category which means you're due "reasonable accommodations" at work. But only if you request them. Do so, and make it a habit. I recommend seeking outside assistance with the request rather than going to directly to HR on your own, because HR doesn't work for you or any employee.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
        I appreciate your difficulties, Nick. I've got a nephew with the same issues. I think you might benefit from having this mapped out.

Communication forms are best reciprocated, verbal with verbal, written with written, gesture with gesture, in decreasing order of interaction. You can always increase the level of interaction that's offered, but decreasing it will be seen as rude, independent of your intent. This rule is relevant with peers, and even more so in cases of unbalanced authority, child to parent, employee to supervisor ... and service worker to customer. Her reaction was normal and predictable.

You don't make it clear who was receiving the complaint or what outcome resulted. Please note that your medical condition is a protected category which means you're due "reasonable accommodations" at work. But only if you request them. Do so, and make it a habit. I recommend seeking outside assistance with the request rather than going to directly to HR on your own, because HR doesn't work for you or any employee.
        Thank you! For once someone explains why something is seen as rude.

Comment